New Development Map From Central Houston

There is a map in the Central Houston office that looks like it's tracking new developments. Anyone see anything interesting? I believe Central Houston is private, so we can't simply walk in there and look at it.

It looks like the orange spots are of new or recently new deveopments. One orange spot I see is just south of Minute Maid Park, anyone know what that might be?

centralhoustonlauraangiebob.jpg

http://www.bisnow.co...ory.php?p=16165

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're referring to the TINY spot between the GRB and minute maid, I wouldn't have the slightest clue.

My only guess is that it might be a parking garage, and that's because there is the GRB ramp and a slice of that land is going to be munched on by the light rail.

Currently it's just a surface lot/staging area for the GRB. in fact, that's where they land the helicopters when the convention comes to town.

If you're referring to the TINY spot between the GRB and minute maid, I wouldn't have the slightest clue.

My only guess is that it might be a parking garage, and that's because there is the GRB ramp and a slice of that land is going to be munched on by the light rail.

Currently it's just a surface lot/staging area for the GRB. in fact, that's where they land the helicopters when the convention comes to town.

You're close but I think we're talking about two different plots. I zoomed in on the map and I'm pretty sure it's highlight this plot: http://maps.google.c...&gl=us&t=h&z=20

Also here is a list of Central Houston's planned or anticipated downtown or downtown-adjacent projects: http://www.centralho...andDevelopment/

And some that I found interesting:

- Development – Regional Tourism Center | Reconfigure Avenida de las Americas. Support role to the City of Houston for a reconfigured block between GRB Convention Center and Minute Maid Park, to house a Regional Tourism Center including relocation of the two historic houses. North- & south-bound lanes to be reduced from four- to two-lanes at 600 block of AdlA, with 700 block used for lane transitions. (Could this be the project that we are speaking of Ricco?)

- Downtown High School. Participate in confidential negotiations with HISD Trustees and Administration to identify downtown site for HSPVA.

- Master Planning – Mixed-use Retail Core Area. Project in the first half of 2011 to develop conceptual design to re-vitalize downtown’s Shopping District.

- Master Planning – Downtown | East Downtown Livable Centers. Work with numerous entities and the design consultancy team for a nine-month master planning transit-oriented development project of 168-block area bounded by Preston, St. Charles, Pease and Austin. Coordinate multiple projects and consultants within study area.

- Development – Regional Tourism Center | Reconfigure Avenida de las Americas. Support role to the City of Houston for a reconfigured block between GRB Convention Center and Minute Maid Park, to house a Regional Tourism Center including relocation of the two historic houses. North- & south-bound lanes to be reduced from four- to two-lanes at 600 block of AdlA, with 700 block used for lane transitions. (Could this be the project that we are speaking of Ricco?)

Good eye!

I think that's what we're seeing.

This would be a MUCH better location for that department, but I will hold judgement on what the new street layout would be.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It is a bit off topic, but I was wondering about #4 on that map... not sure I can recall any proposals regarding a tower near Market Square. Anyone have any insight or a refresher if it's been covered on HAIF?

It seems as if that lot fronting Market Square would be pefect for a residential development with retail facing the square but then I remebered this is Houston, so we'll most likely get a lifeless pedestal office tower in what could be a very urban part of downtown.

It seems as if that lot fronting Market Square would be pefect for a residential development with retail facing the square but then I remebered this is Houston, so we'll most likely get a lifeless pedestal office tower in what could be a very urban part of downtown.

I don't think anyone would complain about the proposed office tower if it was built as designed.

I don't think anyone would complain about the proposed office tower if it was built as designed.

I'm obviously not going to complain but i'd be disappointed if it didn't have some form of retail fsacing the sqaure. Retail + Residential would be optimal since it is fronting the square.

A pedestal offive building with no dialogue with the urban environmement would be the worst thing (other than undeveloped)

What proposed office tower and what design?

The map shows a proposed office tower and apparently all proposed towers have been reported by the media per the map legend. It seems swtsig has already seen a rendering.

I hope we will like the height as much as the design. 35-40 stories would be nice.

I recall an interview with a major Houston developer who owns the subject property. I cannot remember who it was, perhaps Mischer? Anyway, in the interview he said they want to do a really good development on that property. I wish I could find the interview, but I don't remember enough specifics to be able to do a decent search. :-(

I recall an interview with a major Houston developer who owns the subject property. I cannot remember who it was, perhaps Mischer? Anyway, in the interview he said they want to do a really good development on that property. I wish I could find the interview, but I don't remember enough specifics to be able to do a decent search. :-(

i remember this as well, but do not remember how far back or where!

It is a bit off topic, but I was wondering about #4 on that map... not sure I can recall any proposals regarding a tower near Market Square. Anyone have any insight or a refresher if it's been covered on HAIF?

I remember chatter about it back before the crisis, but to my knowledge there has never been a serious proposal for the block. The map perhaps overstates development by including a "potential" category.

• 2 weeks later...

A very tantalizing tidbit in the Business Journal yesterday regarding downtown:

"The year ended with several good-sized, yet-to-be announced lease transactions. One notable lease will be the announcement of the tenant that has subleased the Devon Energy Corp. (NYSE: DVN) space."

I don't have access to the full article behind the paywall.

Here's the rest of the article before they start talking about renovations to the old Exxon tower, the Marriot Marquis, and the downtown living initiative which we already know about:

"Devon announced it will consolidate its Houston operations back to its headquarters in Oklahoma City, leaving behind more than 500,000 square feet of office space. It was the largest tenant to announce it was leaving downtown in 2012.

“It happened in a matter of 48 hours, the general redirection was very quick,” said Tim Relyea, vice chairman of office brokerage at Cushman & Wakefield of Texas Inc.’s Houston office.

The new tenant has a presence in Houston already, he said, and will move in after Devon leaves in February, although he declined to name the company.

The mystery firm’s presence will bring a net positive absorption for downtown — meaning the company is likely coming from outside the area, said Laura Van Ness, director of business development at Central Houston Inc.

In the first quarter, Relyea said there will be a few other relocations within downtown announced as well — one with about 125,000 square feet and another with about 200,000 square feet.

One of those leases might be TransCanada's Corp. downtown relocation to the Bank of America Center to accommodate its Houston growth plans.

Also, blocks that were vacant through 2012 may start to see activity in the coming months.

“In 2013, I think you’ll potentially start to see construction or announcements on a couple of new buildings and skyscrapers in downtown,” Relyea said."

In the last month, several law firms have expanded their presence in downtown and a new law firm based in Pittsburgh announced they were opening a Houston branch.

Trans Canada is moving from another downtown tower, but is taking more space.

The Devon sublease news is HUGE. If it is already spoken for, then there's no way a new tower wont start rising in downtown proper in 2013. In fact, I'd be willing to be that two projects will make it out of the ground...

Archived