Returning to Houston

Montrose1100

Happy birthday to me! :)

I am planning on moving back to Houston in early september. Depending on where my boyfriend and I get a job, i'm leaning towards Midtown more then the Woodlands. He is a nurse, so if he gets a job in the TMC, Midtown would be the perfect choice. Not to mention the night life, museums, parks, and urban lifestyle.

However, the Woodlands is closer to family and friends. They have great parks, and beautiful pine trees. While there is a small night life, the "urban lifestyle" would just mean living on the water way.

We're looking for a modern 2 bed, 2 bath, with some sort of patio/balcony feature. Covered (gated) parking is a must, and a pool would be the icing on the cake. We're also planning on getting a German Shepherd pup after we move.

Hard wood floors would be a big plus. Google is not as helpful as I thought. Any suggestions?

Edit: guess I should mention we're looking to rent, and an apartment/loft is what we really want.

Congrats on coming back to Houston. My wife and I actually had the same dilemma four years ago (we were looking at Cypress due to the same reasons you mention the Woodlands). We ended up deciding on Midtown (and speaking from experience now)... Midtown is a no-brainer to me.

First, it's on the light rail line between Downtown, Museum District, and the Med Center. That would be ideal for him working in the TMC. If in the Woodlands, he'd be spending almost two hours a day in the car. In Midtown, he'd have a five minute commute.

For parks, we have WAY better one's than the Woodlands. We ride our bikes to Hermann Park or Discovery Green. Miller Outdoor Theatre also offers free shows all the time and they are very entertaining (http://milleroutdoortheatre.com/). Midtown also has Baldwin Park. There are trails in Memorial Park and along Buffalo Bayou that will let you escape and give you the feeling you are not even in the city.

As for entertainment... the city has better options as far as sporting events, museums, concerts, restaurants, and bars. My wife and I have loved every second of life in the city and would have really regretted not living it up before we had kids. The city is real. The Woodlands is manufactured.

The type of housing you describe is plentiful in Midtown. You can either go for an apartment if you want a pool, or there are a lot of townhouses/condos you could rent that are 2 bed/ 2.5 bath with 2 car attached garages (however my wife and I bought near Baldwin Park because it was cheaper than renting).

Feel free to ask me anything about Midtown (the good, the bad, whatever). My wife and I will be having our first child in a month and will raise her in Midtown. I cannot imagine how blah life would be if we lived in the burbs.

I agree with Brian0123. I'd much rather live inside the loop than in the Woodlands. I actually live in the museum district in a townhome several blocks from Hermann Park and it's such a wonderful place to be. Midtown's a bit further (but not by much) from Hermann Park itself, but you'd be closer to other venues.

It really depends on your situation. You didn't mention how much you're wanting to spend, but I guess you're aware of pricing anyway. It sounds like you're (fairly) young, so I'm going to say that you'll probably find significantly more to do "in town" than you'll find in the Woodlands.

I recognize the value of being close to family - despite both my and my wife's parents being far away. However, I'll say that I - personally - would not see my family that often - even if they lived in the same city. Living near a large number of venues that interest me is far more important than being in close proximity to people I'll, at most, see occasionally.

Well we're thinking below or above $2,000. 2b2b can be pricy, i'm just curious of what is avalible, and how much their asking for it. I guess I could google each complex/building in the area, I just thought a few midtowners could shed some light on where they live, and give me a view on the neighborhood.

Well we're thinking below or above $2,000. 2b2b can be pricy, i'm just curious of what is avalible, and how much their asking for it. I guess I could google each complex/building in the area, I just thought a few midtowners could shed some light on where they live, and give me a view on the neighborhood.

There are a few brand new complexes (I can only remember this one off the top of my head though -- I will keep looking) -- this one is just down the street from where I live (EDGE condos)

http://www.cityplace...-apartments.asp

I remembered these (they aren't brand new though):

Next door to Specs:

http://www.2222smithstreet.com/

These are across the street from EDGE:

http://apartments.ca...ertyDetail.aspx

This is the other new one I couldn't remember -- closer to the Med Center than the others..

http://www.venuemuseumdistrict.com/

I had a 3/3.5 townhome in the Galleria area for 1800 in 07..... no 2/2 is worth that much. You should look away from apts, esp newer ones; their prices are ridiculous.

http://houston.craig...2467093036.html

$1360 for a 2/1 in midtown..... and i doubt adding an extra bathroom is gonna increase it by $700.. i'd check out that complex since they're one of the older ones in midtown. - http://metromidtown-apartments.com/floorplans2.asp?plan=4

Midtown is big, so if you want an apartment you'd be looking on the West side of Main. That side is more developed w/ bars and restaurants, but is louder and more of a party atmosphere if that's what you want. If you want a townhouse in a quiet neighborhood but still close to everything, you need to look East side (that's where I live) around Baldwin Park.

It looks like most of the ones that were near me rented up. Here are some remaining ones for rent near me when I look on HAR that fit your criteria...

3/3/2 $2095

http://search.har.com/engine/2718-Crawford-St-Houston-77004-1119_HAR90679938.htm

2/2/2 $1800

http://search.har.com/engine/1707-Stuart-Av-Houston-77004-3041_HAR37478154.htm

2/2/2 $1700

http://search.har.com/engine/2711-Chenevert-Houston-77004-1216_HAR77309434.htm

You probably already realize this, but owning a dog as large as a GSD (or a pup that will grow into a dog that large) is going to limit the rental properties available to you, as a lot of places won't rent to people that own dogs over a certain size. Also, large dogs can and will tear up hardwoods. We have both a 9-year-old GSD and a house with 60+ year-old hardwoods, and I've never bothered to refinish the floors for that very reason. Our dog has worn a visible spot in the area where she vigilantly guards us against that perfidious threat known to most people as mail coming through the mail slot.

That said, I'd never try to discourage anyone from GSD ownership, but if you've never owned one you should definitely read up on them so you're going into it with eyes open as far as what to expect. They are very intelligent, powerful dogs that are highly task-driven and can get up to mischief quickly if they're bored.

Check out one of the rescue organizations if you haven't already done so:

Greater Houston German Shepherd Dog Rescue

Second Chance German Shepherd Rescue Houston

as a long time fan of the woodlands, and resident for over ten years, my opinion is that you guys would enjoy midtown more. the variety of places to be, proximity to cultural events, diversity..........being downtown has so much more to offer...........the woodlands might become boring in a few months..........unless you're ready to nest, raise kids... maybe it's just me (the grass is always greener...).

welcome back! keep us posted on your search, findings, etc.

Our dog has worn a visible spot in the area where she vigilantly guards us against that perfidious threat known to most people as mail coming through the mail slot.

ROFL -- takes me back to when I was a kid -- we had one that would do the same thing -- I swear he could hear the mailman from a mile away !!

But would it be easy to find? The Geek Patrol might be scared to go there.

haha, i had to be a nerd and acknowledge this one.

Montrose1100- Amli has a couple of complexes just outside of midtown (Dallas near Montrose), Amli Towne square ($1400 2/2) and Amli CityVista ($1600 2/2). Amazing pools, new buildings, and cheaper than midtown proper. I used to live in what is now Metro Midtown, and it was fun for a while but it got old. I'm in a condo now near Montrose and like having the proximity of midtown (walk/bike/bus/cab there often) but forcing myself to go to other spots.

Though it looks like they don't allow German Shepherds...

FYI there are 2-3 German Shepherds that come to the Webster dog park. Its mixed in size, but most people know each other and don't mind the bigger breeds as long as their friendly. Very puppy friendly, tons of young dogs there (mine is 11 months, been going there since he was 3 mo)

I stayed up until 3 in the morning researching german shepherds a few weekes ago. Of course we're going to wait a while, what with the strict guidelines to raising one, it's more of a pipe dream.

I'll be intown later this month to check out the properties.

as a long time fan of the woodlands, and resident for over ten years, my opinion is that you guys would enjoy midtown more. the variety of places to be, proximity to cultural events, diversity..........being downtown has so much more to offer...........the woodlands might become boring in a few months..........unless you're ready to nest, raise kids... maybe it's just me (the grass is always greener...).

welcome back! keep us posted on your search, findings, etc.

Well we're not interested in kids for another decade. Fresh out of school, conflicting schedules... We both want to continue our educations, but also visiting family & friends... A guard dog (not a small b****) dog would be ideal. I've had to deal with insurance so many times... I've learned there are saftey in numbers.

However, the tight nip family and friends grown over the years mean alot to us. And living in the city after living in Abilene, the suburbs have a lot more to offer then what we're use to. But we want the full she-bang of the city.

You may very well find that you will want the tranquility of the suburbs as you get older. My wife and I moved from Montrose to Pearland when we were in our early thirties. I traded a two-minute commute for double the space, no freeway roar, and no drug dealers in the park next door. Another thing to keep in mind that once kids come along, if they do, your disposable income for all those entertainment opportunities is basically gone and you start being worried about schools and the safety of your neighborhood for kids. If you pick your suburb carefully you can definitely get a very nice place for way less than you will pay in rent. Pearland, in particular, is convenient to the Med Center. On the other hand, a suburban mortgage is going to limit your ability to move if you have to for work or other reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy birthday to me! :)

I am planning on moving back to Houston in early september. Depending on where my boyfriend and I get a job, i'm leaning towards Midtown more then the Woodlands. He is a nurse, so if he gets a job in the TMC, Midtown would be the perfect choice. Not to mention the night life, museums, parks, and urban lifestyle.

However, the Woodlands is closer to family and friends. They have great parks, and beautiful pine trees. While there is a small night life, the "urban lifestyle" would just mean living on the water way.

We're looking for a modern 2 bed, 2 bath, with some sort of patio/balcony feature. Covered (gated) parking is a must, and a pool would be the icing on the cake. We're also planning on getting a German Shepherd pup after we move.

Hard wood floors would be a big plus. Google is not as helpful as I thought. Any suggestions?

Edit: guess I should mention we're looking to rent, and an apartment/loft is what we really want.

Welcome back to Houston.

Monty's been around this board a long time. He was among the first members in the first HAIF.

Thank you all for the suggestions!! However, as it turns out, Midtown is full! So we comprimised with the Sawyer Street Lofts. Ventana in Midtown had one avalible, but as soon as we headed there to sign the lease, someone already leased it. Moving back September 5th.

I'm a looper again!

I have to ask. What is up with all the computer desk nooks built in the floor plan in almost every complex/building?

Short version: The US doesnt count worker productivity the way the rest of the world does. Offshoring, outsorcing all count as US worker productivity.

Short version: The US doesnt count worker productivity the way the rest of the world does. Offshoring, outsorcing all count as US worker productivity.

Right. But even the newer places have them. Just seems kinda pointless... Or maybe I would rather buy a lovely computer desk that goes with the room then try and convert the tiny space into a mini bar.

These places we had issues with...

No offense to anyone living in an Alexan property, but it is not a "status thing" as the man showing us said... The guy showing us the Alexan Silber (first off, I dont know why the realtor took us here, because this is not even close to the area we wanted), acted like a fabulous view of I-10 and Ikea was the epitome of luxury apartment living. The amenities were extremely nice, but the location and views were not.

Also, Jackson Hill was a beautiful property, but $1,400 for +700sqft? I guess your paying for the view from the pool and being right off Memorial. But that price will get you +1,000sqft, hard wood floors, and a Downtown to Uptown view at other places! The lady who showed us around was very nice and helpful, which was great after touring with the Alexan guy.

The Villas at River Oaks were beautiful. Built in 1996, the property had great trees and plants, and an amazing view of The Royalton from the pool. But the guy showing us struck a nerve with us. The model apartment was completely rennovated and looked fantastic. But (and I quote), "your apartment will look nothing like this". He said a few of the apartments havent been remodeled, and we asked him to show us what they looked like. He shows us pictures on his computer! Then he realized his friend was moving in the next day, so he shows us the place. No thanks. I've seen apartments in Spring that were way older & cheaper and looked 1,000% times better.

I have to say though, we almost gave up the idea of hardwood floors and a downtown view with The Estates at Memorial Heights. The pool was one of the greatest pools i've seen in Houston. It was stunning. Not to mention an indoor basketball court! How cool is that?

Ok I'll get off the soap box now.

Archived