Google +

I was offered a Google+ invite through a LinkedIn group today. I ignored it because I don't have any interest in the stuff, but I'd be happy to get the invite and then invite you (if that's how it works).

Give me a bit of time to get back to my contact and check. Of course, by the time I get back, someone else might have an invite for you...

Okay, it's been about a minute since I wrote the above and I've checked into my LinkedIn Group. The guy who posted for invites on the forum has stated that Google had turned off the ability to invite as of sometime around 7:30pm Central last night. I have no idea if that's true, but I've placed my name on the list to request an invite. He's stated that he'll invite others once it gets turned back on.

Damn no invites fir me I guess. A least not for now.

Does anybody remember "Google Wave"? I sometimes wonder if ago ogle Plus will turn out like that but I hope not. Google Wave was kind of a different project but it was an epic fail for something that was so hyped up. I remember it was so hard to get n invite for wave at the beginning that people were selling their invites on eBay. Hopefully Google will be more generous with + invites soon.

Damn no invites fir me I guess. A least not for now.

Does anybody remember "Google Wave"? I sometimes wonder if ago ogle Plus will turn out like that but I hope not. Google Wave was kind of a different project but it was an epic fail for something that was so hyped up. I remember it was so hard to get n invite for wave at the beginning that people were selling their invites on eBay. Hopefully Google will be more generous with + invites soon.

From what I understand, they are trying not to overwhelm the current servers. Apparently, there are so many invites going out, that it might create some problems for them.

Looking at how it is arranged, it seems that this might be something I might join. One of the reasons that I don't join facebook is that I like to segregate my friends. I don't want business, personal, and family contacts to intermingle with each other.

Lord knows we all don't want cousin larry's statement on your own moronic adventures be viewed by a boss, or girlfriend who you told you were stuck in bed with the flu.

a completely hypothetical situation, of course.

I'm a Reversi/Othello freak... The extensive Reversi community and play/wait nature of FB games is what sucked me into FB and what has kept me there. I really try to avoid the narcistic status/commenting side of FB. But since I mostly get my Reversi fix through iReversi now.. My FB use has greatly declined over recent years.

All of that was just to preface that I would love to see FB go the way of myspace, friendster, irc, and icq.... So here's hoping google got this one right and it helps speed the demise of FB.

Ps.. If editor could add a haify game room with chess, cards games, and Reversi.. I'd consider naming my first born after him.

Joined yesterday.

Pros:

Google clean and simple

I think it leans more towards Twitter than FB... There is the Feed but no wall. You make your directed (circles) status updates, and people can comment on those... but I really like that there is no wall. Friends can't clutter up my profile - no invites, no happy bdays, no need to police your own profile.

No games, No apps, no farmsvilles, and so far, no yappy minors... this is all good.

Not only can you post per circle, but read per circle too. I like this.. This is how I use my Bloglines news feeder - Channels of interest.

Nicely integrated - My gmail, which is always open, now that I'm plus... the gray bar at the top of gmail has a direct + link, +notifications, and the directed share form.

Cons:

Can't trim the feed yet. - I have one friend in 1 particular circle.. his posts are fine, but he's already loaded with friends responding. I don't wanna mute my friend, but i don't yet have the option to mute his friends. I hope this changes.

Linked with picassa. At first I liked that there wasn't going to be photo tagging.. but it looks like they're making that possible with the rebranded picassa. My problem with this is my picassa isn't for the public.. i use it as my photo host for my website, and i share event photos like weddings and such. You can go and privatize the albums, but this will force me to use picassa in a way i didn't want to.

I think circles are going to be the selling point for people fed up with FB. My FB is easily 50% people i really don't give a damn about... lots of acquaintances and people you feel obligated to accept. Now I can just shove them in my "Acquaintances" circle and easily ignore them and not share with them.

I like the focus on directed interaction and control. You can even make it where a post or response cant be forwarded, or retweeted.

Haven't tried the Hangout video thing yet.. no cam.

Die FB Die.

From what I understand, they are trying not to overwhelm the current servers. Apparently, there are so many invites going out, that it might create some problems for them.

Looking at how it is arranged, it seems that this might be something I might join. One of the reasons that I don't join facebook is that I like to segregate my friends. I don't want business, personal, and family contacts to intermingle with each other.

Lord knows we all don't want cousin larry's statement on your own moronic adventures be viewed by a boss, or girlfriend who you told you were stuck in bed with the flu.

a completely hypothetical situation, of course.

you can segregate your friends in fb. set up groups in your settings, and make it so certain groups (which can have whichever friends you want in it) can see certain things.

i stopped using fb years ago. added google+ cause i got the invite but haven't messed with it. i'm assuming it will fill up with stuff i don't care about like fb did.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious about Google+, but I don't think I'm interested in giving Big G too much personal information. I use Google mostly for my business, and it has a lot of information about me because of that -- bank accounts, certain additional e-mail addresses, credit cards, etc... I don't think I want all of this stuff mashed in with my online social life. I'm not saying that Google will make any of that public; that's not my concern. What bothers me is that if Google had access to all of the information of the sort that I post on Facebook, it could create a pretty complete profile of me. Right now, I keep those sides separate. I think for me, going + would hit some kind of information critical mass.

Also, if hackers are slurping information about all of us from banks, you know they're constantly trying to hack Google. It's only a matter of time before one succeeds. I'm not sure what I'm afraid of. I guess it's fear of the unknown. Perhaps if Google were to let me know everything it knows about me and give me a way to prune or correct that information, that would be useful. But the only tool G provides for this is only partial.

I think circles are going to be the selling point for people fed up with FB. My FB is easily 50% people i really don't give a damn about... lots of acquaintances and people you feel obligated to accept. Now I can just shove them in my "Acquaintances" circle and easily ignore them and not share with them.

I like the focus on directed interaction and control. You can even make it where a post or response cant be forwarded, or retweeted.

Haven't tried the Hangout video thing yet.. no cam.

Die FB Die.

I do this with Facebook now. I have blocked friends who can't see anything I do unless I choose to allow them to see me posts, as well as have them hidden from my feed. Google keeps trying to re-invent the wheel. Myspace failed because it became too personalized and a disaster to navigate.

I do this with Facebook now. I have blocked friends who can't see anything I do unless I choose to allow them to see me posts, as well as have them hidden from my feed. Google keeps trying to re-invent the wheel. Myspace failed because it became too personalized and a disaster to navigate.

I've been screwing around with + for awhile, and I have to say that the way they segregate people is much easier. You can accept "friends" and banish them to the Siberia circle and THAT circle NEVER sees your posts.

• 2 months later...

After trying it out. Either I have boring friends or simply no one is using it. Anyone else abandon their accounts land stuck with the tried and true Facebook?

The G+ takeover never quite happened. I am disappointed by that, however I've happily abandoned both for the most part.

G+ I check maybe once a week, I contribute nothing.

FB, I check never, contribute nothing.

The only thing I find FB useful for is a log-in portal / source of players for Words or Chess w/ friends on my mobile.

Archived