Sign in to follow this  
DMac

LC Cafeteria

Attemptiing 2 read some interesting materials (and hopefully photos too) re: LC Cafeteria, downtown. N my youth I seem to recall a stand alone surface Bldg, but both my older sisters recall they would walk down a flight of stairs to get to it. Both believe it was located in the lower levels of Walgreens. 1940 merchants map (very rare/unique map source) shows 2 Walgreens stores @ address as noted above in topic title.

Respectfully

DMac

As I recall, the LC Cafeteria was accessed by escalator or stairs leading down from the street level. Your estimate of the 800 block of Main (west side of the street) seems to be about right. It was in the basement of an office building that was either new or remodeled post-WWII.

The LC Cafeteria may have been discussed in a previous topic on this forum.

As I recall, the LC Cafeteria was accessed by escalator or stairs leading down from the street level. Your estimate of the 800 block of Main (west side of the street) seems to be about right. It was in the basement of an office building that was either new or remodeled post-WWII.

The LC Cafeteria may have been discussed in a previous topic on this forum.

It was accessed as you say. It was beneath Walgreens. They had a "mean" Rum Cake.

Found sum additional data yesterday (Tue. 6/5/2K11) while doing some research @ SFA university's East Tx. Research Center located on 2nd floor of Steen library.

L-C Cafeteria located @ S/E corner of Main (824) & Walker next door to Walgreen Drugs w/an address of 820 Main. GM @ that time was a Jerome J. Kristynik. 2 day there is a multi story parking structure labeled as Walker @ Main parking. However I find no listing for the cafeteria in the 45-46 directory. Will continue looking for some photos. My sister used to eat there every Wed w/her husband who worked @ LL Ridgeway Blueprint located @ concorse 8 BOSW Bldg. Directory shows a 22 flr. So. Coast Bldg. @ other end of block (806) Main @ Rusk.

Source: Houston City Directory (Polk's) Vol. 68 pg. 697

Edited by DMac

Attemptiing 2 read some interesting materials (and hopefully photos too) re: LC Cafeteria, downtown. N my youth I seem to recall a stand alone surface Bldg, but both my older sisters recall they would walk down a flight of stairs to get to it. Both believe it was located in the lower levels of Walgreens. 1940 merchants map (very rare/unique map source) shows 2 Walgreens stores @ address as noted above in topic title.

Respectfully

DMac

I do remember LC cafeteria. Wonder, amazing place. I wish someone would post some pictures of it.