LC Cafeteria

With all the talk about Wyatts, Picadilli, DinnerBell, etc, I have to ask does anyone remember LC Cafteria in the basement level of the old San Jacinto Building? Or even better, some photos would be awesome! I remember you could enter through an outdoor escalator on the Main & Walker side. You could also enter through doors which led to an indoor escalator on the Travis & Walker side. I seem to recall a big markee visible while going down the outdoor escalator reading "Entering Houston's Most Beautiful Cafeteria" or something like that. I left downtown Houston in 1985 for New York but came back in 1998. By this time it was an buffet style "all you can eat" with only the Travis side open. Although not quite the same, dining there gave me a sense of nostaglia. I remember when I was little, it seemed huge! Some indoor photos would also be awesome!

• Like 1

I remember it well. We used to eat there all the time when downtown shopping. I recall it as being large, very busy, with a lot of choices of food and the lighting always seemed "different" I guess because of being underground.

My very favorite, long gone place that no one seems to recall much these days was the Normandie - such divine Chocolat Eclairs!

I worked downtown from 81 to 84. I had lunch there quite a few times. I think it closed down during the time it was there...seems like I remember an article in the paper about its closing and its former glory. It was a good place to eat, but it was pretty obvious that it was a mere shadow of its former self by the early 80's.

We used to frequent this great cafeteria as teenagers up until about 1979. We loved going there after leaving the movie theater nearby. The outdoor escalator was the way we always went down to get there. It always had a big crowd too. It almost seems like a dream now when I think of it.

By this time downtown Main street was not a nice place to be. Once I was in line with my little brother and 2 guys got into a fight over a woman and one pulled a knife. Needless to say all nearby fled including us. That's when I knew the place was going down. Best to remember the way it was. :P

• 3 years later...

Attemptiing 2 read some interesting materials (and hopefully photos too) re: LC Cafeteria, downtown. N my youth I seem to recall a stand alone surface Bldg, but both my older sisters recall they would walk down a flight of stairs to get to it. Both believe it was located in the lower levels of Walgreens. 1940 merchants map (very rare/unique map source) shows 2 Walgreens stores @ address as noted above in topic title.

Respectfully

DMac

As I recall, the LC Cafeteria was accessed by escalator or stairs leading down from the street level. Your estimate of the 800 block of Main (west side of the street) seems to be about right. It was in the basement of an office building that was either new or remodeled post-WWII.

The LC Cafeteria may have been discussed in a previous topic on this forum.

As I recall, the LC Cafeteria was accessed by escalator or stairs leading down from the street level. Your estimate of the 800 block of Main (west side of the street) seems to be about right. It was in the basement of an office building that was either new or remodeled post-WWII.

The LC Cafeteria may have been discussed in a previous topic on this forum.

It was accessed as you say. It was beneath Walgreens. They had a "mean" Rum Cake.

Found sum additional data yesterday (Tue. 6/5/2K11) while doing some research @ SFA university's East Tx. Research Center located on 2nd floor of Steen library.

L-C Cafeteria located @ S/E corner of Main (824) & Walker next door to Walgreen Drugs w/an address of 820 Main. GM @ that time was a Jerome J. Kristynik. 2 day there is a multi story parking structure labeled as Walker @ Main parking. However I find no listing for the cafeteria in the 45-46 directory. Will continue looking for some photos. My sister used to eat there every Wed w/her husband who worked @ LL Ridgeway Blueprint located @ concorse 8 BOSW Bldg. Directory shows a 22 flr. So. Coast Bldg. @ other end of block (806) Main @ Rusk.

Source: Houston City Directory (Polk's) Vol. 68 pg. 697

Edited by DMac

• 5 weeks later...

Attemptiing 2 read some interesting materials (and hopefully photos too) re: LC Cafeteria, downtown. N my youth I seem to recall a stand alone surface Bldg, but both my older sisters recall they would walk down a flight of stairs to get to it. Both believe it was located in the lower levels of Walgreens. 1940 merchants map (very rare/unique map source) shows 2 Walgreens stores @ address as noted above in topic title.

Respectfully

DMac

I do remember LC cafeteria. Wonder, amazing place. I wish someone would post some pictures of it.

• 8 years later...

I remember the LC Cafeteria well.  It was a civil defense shelter as well.  And, the supplies (like powered eggs) were visible to one side--I think there was a glass wall separating these supplies.  Jim Middleton, 77.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

L-C Cafeteria?  Yes, I remember it well.  Why?  Because I went to work there in 1965, hired as Catering Manager, and then left in about '69 (as Assistant Manager).  John Lewis (always Mr. Lewis to me) was no longer the co-owner, having sold to Walgreen's.  I was previously the Manager of the ONLY Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in the entire state of Texas (also owned by Mr. Lewis).  When it closed, the Manager of the L-C, Mr. Jerry Krystynik, invited me to come to the L-C as their Catering Manager (as well as Line Manager of 2 of the 4 serving lines).  It was a very special place to work, open 6 days; closed every Sunday.   Mr. Lewis came around often, and was much revered and loved by his former employees.  He was a kind, generous, gentle man and gentleman.   (He had a temper, but cooled down quickly.)

20 years later I was traveling through the city back to Philadelphia, and stopped in to show my 3 daughters what they had been hearing about all their lives.  Lo and behold:  standing at one of the lines was a man that had been hired 20 years before as a Stock Room Manager.....who was now the Assistant Manager!  He recognized me.....and told me he was retiring the next day.  Needless to say....my daughters were impressed to learn that I had been telling them the truth all these years about how big the place was (4 long serving lines; 2 huge dining rooms).

What wonderful memories!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 9/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, Carl Durham said:

L-C Cafeteria?  Yes, I remember it well.  Why?  Because I went to work there in 1965, hired as Catering Manager, and then left in about '69 (as Assistant Manager).  John Lewis (always Mr. Lewis to me) was no longer the co-owner, having sold to Walgreen's.  I was previously the Manager of the ONLY Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in the entire state of Texas (also owned by Mr. Lewis).  When it closed, the Manager of the L-C, Mr. Jerry Krystynik, invited me to come to the L-C as their Catering Manager (as well as Line Manager of 2 of the 4 serving lines).  It was a very special place to work, open 6 days; closed every Sunday.   Mr. Lewis came around often, and was much revered and loved by his former employees.  He was a kind, generous, gentle man and gentleman.   (He had a temper, but cooled down quickly.)

20 years later I was traveling through the city back to Philadelphia, and stopped in to show my 3 daughters what they had been hearing about all their lives.  Lo and behold:  standing at one of the lines was a man that had been hired 20 years before as a Stock Room Manager.....who was now the Assistant Manager!  He recognized me.....and told me he was retiring the next day.  Needless to say....my daughters were impressed to learn that I had been telling them the truth all these years about how big the place was (4 long serving lines; 2 huge dining rooms).

What wonderful memories!

What wonderful memories!

My Mother and Father both worked at the L C Cafeteria.  My father, Harry Logan, died on top of the building doing repairs.  This was in 1957. Mable Logan, my mother ran the L C Cafeteria, for awhile.

• 9 months later...
  • The title was changed to LC Cafeteria
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Mr. Durham, any chance you remember a little short, mid-50s lady by the name of Benita Gonzales?  She worked at the pastry counter of the L-C for many years until she retired in about the mid 80s.

Melanie

Just wanted to say the the dissolution of the partnership between Mr. Collins and Mr. Lewis is a case studied in some law schools for the business organizations class. Studying for my final and having lived in Houston I made a search for L-C Cafeteria and came upon this thread. The history of L-C Cafeteria lives on 70 years later tormenting the lives of countless law students hahaha.

image.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...