Chevron Building At 1500 Louisiana St.

SoonerFanInHouston

I heard from a guy at Chevron that they may build a midrise there for their executives

From culturemap...

"While nearly every other city finds a way to protect buildings of historical significance, officials in Houston continually say it would cost too much to renovate such structures, so they tear them down and (as in the Y's case) put up a parking garage."

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/06-27-11-another-landmark-bites-the-dust-the-old-downtown-ymca-has-memories-that-cant-be-replaced/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dismay? How so? Does anyone know the number that were moved?

Have you been to northern california? I just returned from San Francisco and Palo Alto and I would be pretty pissed too if I had to leave that area for Houston, and this is coming from a native Houstonian and lifelong Houston homer.

• Like 1

It's easy to romantacize about SF. It's easily the most beautiful city in the USA in my opinion. That said, I broke up with my ex when he chose UCSF over Baylor because sometimes common sense gets in the way. Housing prices are NUTS in that town. Taxes are crazy compared to Texas, and despite what Californians think, they aren't getting much more in the way of services to make up for the difference. Additionally, after 15 years in Boston, I was looking for a different way of life, not to mention the economy in the Bay Area SUCKS for anyone not working for Facebook. I haven't regretted my decision once.

At the end of the day, SF is a great place to visit, but Houston is a great place to live.

• Like 4

From culturemap...

"While nearly every other city finds a way to protect buildings of historical significance, officials in Houston continually say it would cost too much to renovate such structures, so they tear them down and (as in the Y's case) put up a parking garage."

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/06-27-11-another-landmark-bites-the-dust-the-old-downtown-ymca-has-memories-that-cant-be-replaced/

Lovely. I hope it goes the way of JP Morgan annex, and not just a huge garage.

• Like 1

I loved visiting but I hated living in SF. It was cramped, hard to get around and uncomfortable. It was beautiful, but it meant nothing to me and at the end of the day, it wasn't worth the money or the trouble. It just got stale after a while. Visiting is one thing, living there is a completely different experience.

I preferred Houston, because Houston keeps changing and growing and things happen here. There is an energetic vibe in Houston that is missing in SF. Maybe it's all the growth and growing pains. Maybe it is the constant look to the future. It's cool to be apart of a city that grows and expands as opposed to one that is firmly established and seems to care more about the past than the future. The people in SF fight change more than any place I've ever lived. SF is nice, but it's done. Houston is far from perfect, but there is this wonderful sense of hope and optimism here that I love.

Houston is like raw clay you can still do something cool with. SF is a beautiful ornamental vase that you can only look at and admire.

Edited by Hugh Stone
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Chevron Buildings Downtown
  • The title was changed to Chevron Building At 1500 Louisiana St.
  • 9 months later...