Amanda Arnold

rcj0618

Who didn't have a huge crush on Amanda Arnold of KHOU in the early 80's? I've wondered for years whatever became of her. I found this on the web the other day:

http://www.greenlightct.com/index.html

Reprint of an article from the same website:

http://www.greenlightct.com/httpdocs/images/bocaraton.pdf

That's her alright! I remember when she and steve smith were the anchors and she left to be a country singer. Then came the bad Felicia Jeter years.

• 4 years later...

TV ARK is a British website that covers the history of UK and international television primarily via old clips. It's worth a visit if you are interested in television history.

Anyways, I was looking at the US section and I found this gem. It's a promo from KHOU circa 1981 literally singing the glories of its then-anchor, Amanda Arnold. You do not see ads like this anymore. (Then again, there was KIAH's "Meet me at 9" ad campaign...)

It's found here: http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/International/usa/khou.html Click on the arrow next to "Newscenter 11 Promo"-the direct link didn't work.

• Like 1

TV ARK is a British website that covers the history of UK and international television primarily via old clips. It's worth a visit if you are interested in television history. I was looking at the US section and I found this gem. It's a promo from KHOU circa 1981 literally singing the glories of its then-anchor, Amanda Arnold. You do not see ads like this anymore.

Wow. That promo is a real "trip" back in time. Incidentally, the guy singing the song and showing up on camera with her was her husband, a small time country singer named Jimmy Carter. Amanda sang with his group for a time in the 70s, and she would often sing with them at some Houston area night spots. I don't know if they're still married or not.

I liked Amanda doing the news. She wasn't one of the perky plastic phonies that were taking over TV news, and for me at least, she came across as "real". I liked the little wave she always gave at the end of the newscast.

Amanda now makes her living as a TV and media consultant. She has her own consulting firm in Dothan, Alabama, and by all appearances, she's doing very well.

http://amandacom.com/

Your posting inspired me to do some digging of my own. Take a look at this promo photo of the nightly news crew at a TV station in Cleveland Ohio. It says it was in 1980, the year before she moved to Houston. There's another familiar face in this photo.

http://neohiotvmemories.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/a-scrapbook-of-cleveland-tv-memories-3/doug-adair-amanda-arnold-tom-ryther-sports-al-roker-1980/

Edited by FilioScotia

Wow. That promo is a real "trip" back in time. Incidentally, the guy singing the song and showing up on camera with her was her husband, a small time country singer named Jimmy Carter. Amanda sang with his group for a time in the 70s, and she would often sing with them at some Houston area night spots. I don't know if they're still married or not.

This is a reply to my own posting, with more information about Amanda Arnold's ex husband Jimmy Carter. I've learned that he was a fair to middling singer and entertainer, and a working television news reporter and producer. He and Amanda were made for each other.

• 11 years later...

Not that I'm necessarily a fan of necroposting but I was actually considering trying to interview Ms. Arnold for a project I was working on regarding media in the Houston area over the ages. I was surprised to see that she is one of the few people from the industry who has actually chosen to get back into it after finding their niche in consulting and independent work. 

Currently, she is the evening news anchor at the ABC station in Dothan, AL.

Pretty good bio including bits about her time in Houston and a mention of her musical pursuits.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2022 at 1:03 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Not that I'm necessarily a fan of necroposting but I was actually considering trying to interview Ms. Arnold for a project I was working on regarding media in the Houston area over the ages. I was surprised to see that she is one of the few people from the industry who has actually chosen to get back into it after finding their niche in consulting and independent work. 

Currently, she is the evening news anchor at the ABC station in Dothan, AL.

Pretty good bio including bits about her time in Houston and a mention of her musical pursuits.

She's doing quite well. 

• 3 months later...

As a retired radio news broadcaster, I can testify to how hard it is for people in broadcasting to move into consulting or some-such. Consulting is contract work, which means you make money only when you have clients. Consulting income is sporadic.

Full-time broadcasting, on the other hand, is salaried. Paychecks come around on a regular weekly or monthly schedule. I'm guessing Amanda wasn't making a good living in consulting, so she fled back to the security of broadcasting. That happens to a lot of people. It happened to me a few times. I learned I couldn't make a living doing anything but broadcasting. And I liked getting a regular paycheck.

Edited by FilioScotia
added information

• 1 year later...