Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

I am puzzled. Economics, Commerce, or Real Estate are not my forte perhaps one of you can explain this. Why are so many supertalls or near supertalls going up in Manhattan ( One Vanderbilt, Hudson Yards. World Trade Center buildings etc ) yet we are struggling to get this building up?  I know  Manhattan has a huge number of attractions, but it also has a huge number of hassles and very high rent. This site in downtown Houston is not without some charms. It seems like a great site.

I am puzzled. Economics, Commerce, or Real Estate are not my forte perhaps one of you can explain this. Why are so many supertalls or near supertalls going up in Manhattan ( One Vanderbilt, Hudson Yards. World Trade Center buildings etc ) yet we are struggling to get this building up?  I know  Manhattan has a huge number of attractions, but it also has a huge number of hassles and very high rent. This site in downtown Houston is not without some charms. It seems like a great site.

The extremely high rents that you mention are one of the biggest driving forces of supertalls. Being able to collect much higher rent per square foot means they can spend more per square foot, ie taller and more architecturally pleasing structures. Also the land costs more there so they must build a decently tall building just to cover the cost of land. 

The market for such buildings, at least the residential ones, is driven by the 1%. Overall metro economics do not apply.

This is true to a lesser extent with high profile office properties, where the companies that choose to rent space there are not subject to the same economics as the overall metro. They are firms that can float between cities and choose where they want to land their feet based on the prestige of the location. Firms like that pick places like Manhattan, not Houston.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This project is a damn joke and it's depressing to look at. Please just let this project slip into the bowels of this forum never to be seen again.

Did the previous building have structure issues? Was it unleaseable? I don't know much about this area. Trying to figure out the economics of demolishing a building and not sure about being able to deliver a replacement

Did the previous building have structure issues? Was it unleaseable? I don't know much about this area. Trying to figure out the economics of demolishing a building and not sure about being able to deliver a replacement

Location, location. If the former building wasn't at the smack dead center of the CBD and tunnel system, it would still be in use.

From the looks of things, this is about the same amount of parking that was there for Those Whose Parking Shall Not Be Disturbed - as a rough guess, about 1/3 of the eventual garage if it goes up according to plan.

Re the earlier building:  it was pretty much unleaseable.  It was about a B-, maybe C building with way more columns than what you'd see in something built more recently, and an extremely low occupancy rate.  If it weren't for Those Whose Parking Shall Not Be Disturbed and being a tunnel hub I wouldn't have been surprised to see it either become a ghost building or surface parking once the Houston Club's sweetheart lease from the 50s ran out.  We looked at leasing there once, but it was the first building crossed off the list.

• Like 1

I fear for the fate of whoever botched the demolition by a few feet and rendered the temporary garage job useless.

I'm not sure it really came down to any "one person". I never heard of any repercussions when talking to a Skanska project development manager.. Though he said the mistake cost them "a few million".

I'm not sure it really came down to any "one person". I never heard of any repercussions when talking to a Skanska project development manager.. Though he said the mistake cost them "a few million".

I was being a bit tongue in cheek around the whole bizarre accommodation of the parking arrangement.  

I would imagine it was a calculated risk that didn't work out. It happens...

• Like 2

I am interested to see what structure goes up to seal off the would-be tower lobby/tunnel entrance side.

Someone mentioned a while back that this block would make a nice location for a park (admittedly, i didn't think about the Gulf Building being on the block to the east, with pennzoil to the west and emperson to the south.. throw in Texas tallest skyscraper to the north and this really would have been a great spot for an urban block park). Maybe Skanska can temporarily sod over the tunnel/lobby and make half the block a park, or public garden space of some kind, until they're able to build the tower? It would of been great to have the whole block be green space, with the tunnel system opening up to the park above, but these properties are way too prime to permanently turn into green space i guess.

Edited by cloud713