Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

2 things...

1. Last night the crown was light red white and blue. Guess this thing changes colors.

2. Looks like they are adding a fancier stone around the concrete planter boxes... It will look a little more finished, but take even more inches out of the sidewalks.

• Like 4

Downtown 'Milam Art Wall' to rotate exhibits from Sawyer Yards artists

By Katherine Feser

Updated 5:30 pm CDT, Wednesday, May 29, 2019

• Jessica Phillips, Celan Bouillet, Leslie Gaworecki, Grace Zuniga, Falon Mihalic, Ami Mehta and Jessica Rice are some of the artists participating in Natural Abstraction, a new art installation in Understory at Bank of America Tower. Photo: JRoe Photography
Photo: JRoe Photography
IMAGE 1 OF 9
Jessica Phillips, Celan Bouillet, Leslie Gaworecki, Grace Zuniga, Falon Mihalic, Ami Mehta and Jessica Rice are some of the artists participating in Natural Abstraction, a new art installation in Understory at ... more

Skanska has partnered with Sawyer Yards, a creative community in the Arts District northwest of downtown, to provide rotating art installations to Understory, the 35,000-square-foot community hub and culinary market at downtown's Bank of America Tower.

"Our partnership with Sawyer Yards underscores Skanska's commitment to reimagining Houston's tunnel experience downtown," Matt Damborsky, executive vice president for Skanska USA Commercial Development, said in an announcement. "We are creating an engaging community destination that will reinvent the tunnel network in a way not seen before in its near 90-year history."

Grace Zuñiga, Sawyer Yards' creative director, will curate the inaugural installation, titled "Natural Abstraction." It will explore the human connection to natural environments and include the work of Celan Bouillet, Luisa Duarte, Leslie Gaworecki, Hedwige Jacobs, Ami Mehta, Falon Mihalic, ceramist Jessica Phillips and muralist Jessica Rice.

The exhibit will run from June 1 through Dec. 30. Every six months, the 100-foot glass wall lining Milam Street, known as the "Milam Art Wall," will feature work from Sawyer Yards artists curated by Zuñiga. Bank of America Tower occupies the block bounded by Capitol, Milam, Rusk and Travis.

The Sawyer Yards campus, on 55 acres northwest of downtown, provides workspaces for more than 350 local artists at renovated industrial buildings in Sabine Street Studios, Winter Street Studios, Spring Street Studios, Silver Street Studios, The Silos at Sawyer Yards and Summer Street Studios. It's near Sawyer Street, north of Washington Ave. and south of the Heights neighborhood, and hosts a market on the second Saturday each month.

RELATED: Sawyer Yards expands in Houston Art District

Bank of America Tower will open next month with Bank of America as the anchor tenant. Understory, designed by the Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, represents the first downtown tunnel venue that is visible from the street and open seven days a week. In addition to a food hall planned for seven concepts and a cocktail bar, Understory will provide gathering areas such as the 30-foot wide "Great Steps" for events and a gym for building tenants.

Skanska is the developer at owner of Bank of America Tower.

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Downtown-Milam-Art-Wall-to-rotate-exhibits-from-13901486.php

• Like 8

On 5/25/2019 at 9:53 PM, Triton said:

Very cool to see the changing colors.

47930514143_62e73dcf60_h.jpg

Downtown Houston by Marc longoria, on Flickr

47930517073_9a0b9418ac_h.jpg

Downtown Houston by Marc longoria, on Flickr

LIGHT-UP FEATURE!!!!

This feature commands a much stronger presence at night than 609 Main’s. Here’s hoping Hines adds something akin to the Salesforce Tower in SF’s light-up capabilities to the Texas Tower.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2019 at 6:19 AM, Nate99 said:

It's kind of open, at least if you wander around from Pennzoil, there's nothing/no one to stop you continuing through the tunnel level. 

It looks really well done. In one mole person's opinion, it's the best looking bit of the tunnels by far.  

it's open from the Chase tower as well, I noticed yesterday when I came into the office.

maybe by the next time I'm in the office the tenants will be built out.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2015 at 4:30 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

They built 3009 (?) Post Oak on speculation and sold it to the first tenant when economic conditions were iffy (that was before we realized we were in a boom), so this one will happen, with the same result.

I told myself I would repost this when the tower opened, for those who said Capital Tower wasn't going up.

I told y'all it was going to be built  :)

• Like 6

jeff-jeffrey-1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Jeff Jeffrey  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal 
7 hours ago

Just weeks after announcing the name of downtown Houston’s newest skyscraper, New York-based Skanska USA Commercial Development reportedly plans to sell a majority stake in the 35-story Bank of America Tower.

Real Estate Alert, a national commercial real estate newsletter, reports that Skanska has enlisted New York’s Eastdil Secured to list the $550 million property. A spokeswoman for Eastdil Secured declined to comment.

Bank of America Tower is located at 811 Rusk St. in Houston’s Central Business District.

Skanska declined to comment on the reported listing. But in an email, Skanska spokeswoman Elizabeth Miller said that as a publicly traded company, Skanska is required to disclose all material financial transactions. 

“While we often recapitalize our buildings at or near stabilization, there are no transactions, material or otherwise, to report at this time,” Miller said.

Officials from Skanska announced the name of the tower May 22 while debuting some of the building’s amenities for members of the media

The tower takes its name from its anchor tenant, Charlotte, North Carolina-based Bank of America (NYSE: BAC), which preleased 210,000 square feet of space in the tower. 

Bank of America began moving into the new space earlier this month after vacating 700 Louisiana St., commonly called Bank of America Center. The bank intends to bring together more than 600 of its employees from three different downtown Houston locations. 

The building is about 83 percent occupied. The bank will be joining Skanska, Houston-based Waste Management Inc. (NYSE: WM), Houston-based Quantum Energy Partners and international law firm Winston & Strawn as tenants.

Construction on the 750,000-square-foot, Platinum LEED-certified tower began in summer 2017topped out in April 2018 and was completed earlier this year. The Houston office of San Francisco-based Gensler designed the project.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

I think this is a rendering of Mama Ninfa's Tacos y Tortas restaurant at Understory food hall (may be a photo, I can't tell). This is in Bank of America Tower Houston (formerly Capitol Tower) at 800 Capitol, downtown Houston.

From Instagram yesterday:

That is not a rendering. 

I took this photo a few days ago.

fnReFlu.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 2/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Common Bond is coming to food hall Understory at Capitol Tower in downtown Houston.

From Culturemap's podcast near the 2 minute mark
https://player.fm/series/1437625/226872499

Culturemap article:

Currently, Houston only has one location of Common Bond, but the bakery could add as many as five new locations in the next 12 months, owner George Joseph tells CultureMap.

Joseph, who purchased the Montrose bakery in 2016, recently came to a cordial end of his partnership with local restaurateur Johnny Carrabba.

“Obviously now [Carrabba is] trying to grow Mia’s, and I want to open a bunch of Common Bonds,” Joseph says. “We decided to go our different ways, but it was a great relationship, a great three years together. I think we’ve done some great things.”

Those great things started with small items like adding a parking lot and being open every day. Chefs Matthew Baum and Rakesh Nayak and cake baker Sarah Ono Jones have expanded the cafe’s offerings with dinner service, special occasion cakes, and more. Most importantly, the addition of a commissary has made the Montrose bakery more functional — it no longer runs out of croissants at 2 pm — and will allow Common Bond to add new locations in the Medical Center, The Heights, and Midtown with the possibilities of downtown and Springwoods Village, too.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-04-19-common-bond-new-locations-medical-center-heights-midtown-downtown-springwoods-village-george-joseph

Where is Common Bond going? Street level or last food stall? 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 10:03 PM, mollusk said:

No, the picture is taken from Milam facing Rusk.  The tree mural is on Rusk at the Travis end; that area looks like it will be dedicated to "back of the house" functions. 

image.png.f58eb7e6b301489fa77142e8cdccb179.png

There is actually one open retail spot that faces Rusk. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, urbanize713 said:

Oh, ok! I wonder if this will be accessible from interior as well...

That seems like the appropriate spot for a common bond...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

Oh, ok! I wonder if this will be accessible from interior as well...

That seems like the appropriate spot for a common bond...

That spot where Bank of America is going in was also a "retail" spot, but since this is a bank putting their name on the building they will of course get one of the retail spots for a ground floor bank retail component.

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:19 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

gse2RP4.jpg

I wouldn't like this if I worked for them. Waiting for the elevator should be a supremely casual, leave-me-the-eff-alone experience. Unless I desire to interact with someone else on my own initiative. As with driving, I require no assistance to make my ride on the elevator.

8 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I wouldn't like this if I worked for them. Waiting for the elevator should be a supremely casual, leave-me-the-eff-alone experience. Unless I desire to interact with someone else on my own initiative. As with driving, I require no assistance to make my ride on the elevator.

This actually reduces your interaction with others.  I have been to several buildings with this kind of check-in and you usually scan your badge then ride up an elevator with maybe one or two other people.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

This actually reduces your interaction with others.  I have been to several buildings with this kind of check-in and you usually scan your badge then ride up an elevator with maybe one or two other people.

I am not against interaction with others; I welcome it on my own initiative, as mentioned above. It is computerized systems that I don't need assistance from. Let me make my own way and interact with people voluntarily.

On 5/22/2019 at 6:39 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Article from  Globe St on Understory and Capitol Tower in downtown Houston, 800 Capitol St.:

This was published yesterday:

Understory is the 35,000-square-foot community hub and culinary market at Skanska’s Capitol Tower office development. Upon its opening later this year, Understory will be the first space in the tunnel network to be active seven days a week, from morning to night.

...“With Understory at Capitol Tower, we are creating so much more than just a new place to eat. This vibrant open-air community space will showcase the diversity of Houston’s globally acclaimed food scene and allow Houstonians from all walks of life to experience new, exciting flavors in a space that fosters a strong sense of community,” Damborsky tells GlobeSt.com. “This, paired with the merging of the street and tunnel levels for the first time ever, will create a destination unlike any other in the city of Houston.”

...With a design by the Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, Understory kitchens will have artist murals, copper clad kitchen hoods, butcher block countertops and white marble. In addition to an abundance of community space and a full-service restaurant, Understory features a culinary market with seven chef-driven concepts and a cocktail bar.

A design hallmark of Understory is the open-air blending of the street and tunnel levels, facilitated by the “Great Steps,” a 30-foot-wide monumental staircase and gathering place that will create the first true street level gateway to the tunnel network. This gateway will be highlighted by a large hanging art installation that will be visible from Capitol, Rusk and Milam streets.

https://www.globest.com/2019/05/21/culinary-market-set-to-open-later-this-year/?slreturn=20190422071955

There is also this from the article:

...the 9,000-square-foot culinary market, which is now 80% leased with one of seven restaurant slots and the cocktail bar remaining.

But the cocktail bar has an operator and name. It's Capitol Bar and the operators were discussed a few weeks ago in this post here in this thread.
Common Bond is going here as last reported by CultureMap if leasing negotiations haven't fallen apart.

Not sure of the exact hours but the above details had previously been communicated.  

• Like 1

Elevators like these use a destination grouping scheme to reduce wait times.  When you scan your badge it tells you which elevator to go to (because it know what floor your work on).  That way all the people going to floor XX during the morning rush go stand in front of elevator YY.  For elevator banks that do not have badge access, there is a centrally located call station where you enter the floor number and it tells you which elevator to wait at.

Skanska used this system on their 3009 Post Oak building.  There are a number of newer buildings in Houston that use this.

Developers like these systems because on tall / large buildings they can actually reduce their elevator count due to the decrease in loiter times.

If you want to learn more:

Kone - Destination Control

• Like 8

1 minute ago, tangledwoods said:

Elevators like these use a destination grouping scheme to reduce wait times.  When you scan your badge it tells you which elevator to go to (because it know what floor your work on).  That way all the people going to floor XX during the morning rush go stand in front of elevator YY.  For elevator banks that do not have badge access, there is a centrally located call station where you enter the floor number and it tells you which elevator to wait at.

Skanska used this system on their 3009 Post Oak building.  There are a number of newer buildings in Houston that use this.

Developers like these systems because on tall / large buildings they can actually reduce their elevator count due to the decrease in loiter times.

If you want to learn more:

Kone - Destination Control

elevator systems like this are where everyone is headed. it's overall better, fewer elevators and more efficient at getting you to your floor on time.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I am not against interaction with others; I welcome it on my own initiative, as mentioned above. It is computerized systems that I don't need assistance from. Let me make my own way and interact with people voluntarily.

It's mainly a security thing so you can't access other floors that you don't belong on.

It also has an algorithm kinda like uber pool to group people in the fastest manner. 

• Like 1