Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

2 minutes ago, cspwal said:

So do those trees have to rely on the light filtering through the windows from ground level, or are they putting in some grow lights into the atrium?

Not even sure they are real at this point, but those lights are seriously bright.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

So do those trees have to rely on the light filtering through the windows from ground level, or are they putting in some grow lights into the atrium?

Don't know what species these trees are, but different trees have differing light requirements.  One would expect that the landscape company took this into consideration - it's not your next door neighbor trying to figure out why the roses aren't growing in deep shade while the baby understory tree (Japanese red maple IIRC) is being burned to a crisp beside the driveway (true story).

2 hours ago, brijonmang said:

A closer shot from an Instagram buddy

It's really striking coming in on 45 from the north.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Lol @ 609 Main. Seriously just turn them off. 

609 Main's crown lighting looks unfinished, and it's usually so dim that it also looks a bit borked.  The white vertical stripe does OK, though.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2019 at 9:07 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

New view.

WGHfkIl.jpg

I ran by this building yesterday.  It’s quite beautiful.  And I really appreciate a tree-lined Street.  The giant tree boxes they installed along Capitol and Rusk (right side, above) are nice, but along Travis (left side, above) and Milan they block almost the entire sidewalk.  You can’t even walk two people abreast when going around them.  As a runner in Houston, it’s frustrating how little attention is paid to pedestrian traffic in this city — on a multitude of levels!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MarathonMan said:

I ran by this building yesterday.  It’s quite beautiful.  And I really appreciate a tree-lined Street.  The giant tree boxes they installed along Capitol and Rusk (right side, above) are nice, but along Travis (left side, above) and Milan they block almost the entire sidewalk.  You can’t even walk two people abreast when going around them.  As a runner in Houston, it’s frustrating how little attention is paid to pedestrian traffic in this city — on a multitude of levels!

I could not agree more. On the Travis St and Milam St sides they took what was otherwise a large sidewalk and made it tiny. Unsure how no one pointed that out. Wish them all the success but kind of hoping the City takes corrective action. It is especially bad on the Travis street side. Otherwise, I think it is a great addition and in my opinion turned out better than expected. 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Again, I JUST posted a link to the previous post about that in the post DIRECTLY above yours.

Sorry, that was a private joke to myself, I should probably keep such things private. 

The press release-ish verbiage describing the food halls use the precise phrases "chef driven concept" and "local bar talent" with such regularity, I infer a lack of self-awareness on the author's part.  It reads like boilerplate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, urbanize713 said:

I could not agree more. On the Travis St and Milam St sides they took what was otherwise a large sidewalk and made it tiny. Unsure how no one pointed that out. Wish them all the success but kind of hoping the City takes corrective action. It is especially bad on the Travis street side. Otherwise, I think it is a great addition and in my opinion turned out better than expected. 

I'm pretty sure they did it that way on the Travis side right by the garage to slow pedestrians as they approach the garage exit/entrance, to minimize the chance of a pedestrian getting run over by a car.  You don't want joggers going full speed by a blind exit (yes, motorists should drive slowly and pay attention to where they are going, but who are we kidding?  This is Houston, where even the Chief of Police runs over a pedestrian in a crosswalk downtown...).

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

I'm pretty sure they did it that way on the Travis side right by the garage to slow pedestrians as they approach the garage exit/entrance, to minimize the chance of a pedestrian getting run over by a car.  You don't want joggers going full speed by a blind exit (yes, motorists should drive slowly and pay attention to where they are going, but who are we kidding?  This is Houston, where even the Chief of Police runs over a pedestrian in a crosswalk downtown...).

Apologies, I actual meant the Milam street side is the worst side. The Travis side is actually not as bad because as seen in the picture,  half of that side is driveways. Pic I took before barricades were taken down. 

46993633255_c4e0bd5044_b.jpg

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

47 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

Apologies, I actual meant the Milam street side is the worst side. The Travis side is actually not as bad because as seen in the picture,  half of that side is driveways. Pic I took before barricades were taken down. 

46993633255_c4e0bd5044_b.jpg

Would that perhaps be a design feature intentionally scaled the way it is to keep a car that has inadvertently (or otherwise) jumped the curb from getting through to the glass and further on to the tunnels below?  The planters would need to be thick enough to stop something heavy moving fast and the gap between them and the columns would need to be sufficiently narrow. 

• Like 4

Was doing a long hike all around the city this past Sunday. Walked past....like wow. They threw down some serious dough for this Food Hall / Lobby / Tunnel area. Its gorgeous! So much marble...marble everywhere. The wood panel ceiling with recessed lighting. This is going to be a real gem in Downtown. I like how we now have so many Food Halls coming online, but all of them are unique and interesting. A wide variety of materials, and meal offerings. Can't wait to go inside.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Would that perhaps be a design feature intentionally scaled the way it is to keep a car that has inadvertently (or otherwise) jumped the curb from getting through to the glass and further on to the tunnels below?  The planters would need to be thick enough to stop something heavy moving fast and the gap between them and the columns would need to be sufficiently narrow. 

I’d say the building columns would serve that purpose.  There is really no excuse for not opening up the sidewalks more to pedestrians — along Milan, especially (as pointed out above).

• Like 4