Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

• 4 weeks later...
On June 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

Isn't this the same Skanska that claimed that they didn't need financing or a pre-lease figure in order to break ground on their Galleria area tower? That one hasn't broken ground yet and the rumors are that it wont.

I'd absolutely HATE to see another historic, even if it isn't that great, building come down with the promise of something going up in its place only for nothing to be built. Downtown already has enough scars.

If this is true, we'll be adding vacant/surface lots at the old YMCA, the old Sheraton, and now the Houston Club all in just one year. Ughhh.

Five years later... we get a really ugly garage that looks so barren. Also, since they've dropped millions into the site with demolition and a garage, there's no way they'd sell the lot with the hopes a hotel/residential project might pop up instead. Crossing my fingers that this thing goes mixed use. Would be a nice spot for retail, hotel, office, and residential. 

• Like 5

we mustn't be complaining

we now have an amazing garage (albeit unfinished)
BUT STILL a fabulous addition to this GREAT city

i say we strut with pride

as we have been endowed with such a grandiloquent garage as this

• Like 6

the tunnel connection will be completed though.

I'm actually kind of curious about how this works. they don't build a tower, but they've built all the foundation for it, and presumably, with tunnel connection, they'll have some first floor built out, when the building is indeed built, what happens?

do they tear down what's already built? do they add on to it? will be interesting to watch?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samagon said:

the tunnel connection will be completed though.

I'm actually kind of curious about how this works. they don't build a tower, but they've built all the foundation for it, and presumably, with tunnel connection, they'll have some first floor built out, when the building is indeed built, what happens?

do they tear down what's already built? do they add on to it? will be interesting to watch?

Completely foolish of me, I thought the garage would be wrapped up with the lobby/tunnel connecting in the rendered facade. They could at least have had retail income but maybe not enough to justify a Class A atrium.

Perhaps an opportunity for more floor count if a big enough tenant come around.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On June 24, 2016 at 7:05 PM, HoustonIsHome said:

Yep

On a block between 4 icons

Our tallest- Chase

Our most ornate- Esperson

Our most awarded- Pennzoil

One of the most iconic- Gulf

You would we would have gotten something spectacular. 

Then again, I guess you can can it a spectacular disappointment

If the Gulf and Esperson were facing in, it would make an ideal plaza.

10 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

If the Gulf and Esperson were facing in, it would make an ideal plaza.

Considering they're neighbors, they are.

edit: Chase has a big enough plaza, and Jones is a couple blocks away.

Edited by Montrose1100

12 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Considering they're neighbors, they are.

edit: Chase has a big enough plaza, and Jones is a couple blocks away.

What? Gulf and Esperson are not facing into the vacant block. The point of having a plaza (if they were facing in) would not be because there aren't enough plazas in the area, it would be because of the ideal architectural experience there. You would have the city's two grand historic highrises, its tallest building, and its most architecturally acclaimed highrise all facing in on the same block. It would be the closest Houston is ever going to get to something like the cathedral squares of cities past.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

What? Gulf and Esperson are not facing into the vacant block. The point of having a plaza (if they were facing in) would not be because there aren't enough plazas in the area, it would be because of the ideal architectural experience there. You would have the city's two grand historic highrises, its tallest building, and its most architecturally acclaimed highrise all facing in on the same block. It would be the closest Houston is ever going to get to something like the cathedral squares of cities past.

Yeah but you can see them. Wasn't trying to be sassy. What would you have in mind? 

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Yeah but you can see them. Wasn't trying to be sassy. What would you have in mind? 

I just don't think it works if the two historic buildings are facing away from the plaza. A better plaza would be 601 Travis (the parking garage). If all the hype about self-driving cars is true (doubt it) and someday we don't need parking garages or they can be greatly reduced, this block would make a great plaza. Put what's left of the parking underground. Would be expensive, but Hines could then charge higher rents at 609 Main and 600 Travis. Sell it to the city, lease back the garage for 50 years, and let them design the plaza.

The Rice would be the biggest winner - could be converted to a 5 star luxury hotel.

Edited by H-Town Man

1 minute ago, htownboy said:

aww but i like 601 travis

and its also an office building, not just a parking garage

plus, the famed architect I.M Pei designed it 

Think about the upside. Visualize a plaza right there - corner of Texas and Main, the heart of the city. Pei did the garage out of necessity and dressed it up as nicely as he could.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

I saw a sign in the Travis Downtown Tunnel stating it would re-open below this site on September 1, 2016.

And so free access is re established, allowing those who were once isolated, cut off on the Very Tall Island, to once again join their fellow Mole People in the main colony without having to risk being in the sunlight, and expanding their dietary choices to once again be able to savor the full assortment of Tunnel Trash...

• Like 5

13 hours ago, mollusk said:

And so free access is re established, allowing those who were once isolated, cut off on the Very Tall Island, to once again join their fellow Mole People in the main colony without having to risk being in the sunlight, and expanding their dietary choices to once again be able to savor the full assortment of Tunnel Trash...

Well, they still had an Alonti and some iteration of a Ninfa's, that's roughly 50% of tunnel lunch option variety covered off.