Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

Found this note on a Houston development map:

Capitol Tower Parking Garage

"Originally planned as a 35-story LEED v4 Platinum office building has now been reduced to a 7-story, 300-space parking garage. Estimated completion 4Q 2015"

That can't be right. 

http://devmap.io/developments/capitol-tower-parking-garage

We noted that a few pages back and it is consistent with Skanska's public statements. They say that they will be able to build the tower whenever they get a tenant, so they have to get the common foundation/base ready to go, which is what we see now.  I doubt we'll be able to tell what is the status of that actually is until they max out the garage portion and keep building or stop right there and pack up the cranes. Hopefully they'll announce something before that.

They're putting up forms for ramps right now.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

"Originally planned as a 35-story LEED v4 Platinum office building has now been reduced to a 7-story, 300-space parking garage. Estimated completion 4Q 2015"

That can't be right. 

Yeah whoever made an edit to this makes it seem as if the tower has been canned. I've edit the link so the correct info should be up soon.

We noted that a few pages back and it is consistent with Skanska's public statements. They say that they will be able to build the tower whenever they get a tenant, so they have to get the common foundation/base ready to go, which is what we see now.  I doubt we'll be able to tell what is the status of that actually is until they max out the garage portion and keep building or stop right there and pack up the cranes. Hopefully they'll announce something before that.

They're putting up forms for ramps right now.

Thanks Nate, the way it was written sounded as if they gave up on the tower and were going to build the garage and call it a day. 

That can't be right. 

That's updated by us... wouldn't really take it as news worthy.

Missed all these other posts.

Edited by Triton

• 2 weeks later...

They have to build the garage out so they can get the tunnel back in operation. I don't believe they are going to start a spec

building in these economic conditions. Especially with mergers going on like Williams. They are just completing what they were

obligated to do and that was finish the garage and reopen the tunnel. That way they'll have some revenue coming in while they

wait out this downturn. These people are not into risk taking. They're northern Europeans and they make conservative plays.

It will get built but unless there is a major player ready to take a huge chunk of space it's going on the back burner

no matter how loud everyone screams.

I'm disappointed also but it's not the end of the world. I was really liking the unobstructed view of the Pennzoil. That will be gone very soon.

• Like 3

I don't believe they are going to start a spec building in these economic conditions.

Although the Houston economy is certainly declining (over 3,000 construction jobs in Houston lost I read in a report this week), there are still certainly large corporations outside of oil that are looking for space. I know for instance that CBRE is expanding its office space to the Memorial Herman Tower in Memorial City. There are financial corporations that can certainly take advantage of this newer space and leave an older tower. I'm sure someone like Houston19514 has the info on when the leases are up for some of these big businesses.

That is the damn lobby of the tower from the renderings... how has there not been an announcement yet?

Keep in mind - the original plan to not disturb Those Whose Parking Shall Not Be Disturbedtm got disturbed when the implosion of the southern half of the block didn't go as planned.  As a result, the original plan of building up the garage on the south half and then continuing with the garage and tower on the north half got chucked into the dumper.  

IIRC, the plan now is to build about 1/2 - 2/3 of the garage across the entire block, with the remainder of the garage and the tower going up later once the tenant situation justifies.  Regardless of how long that ends up taking, it does result in the original lobby getting at least roughed in, if not built out (which might result in The Parking Ramp With The Most Spectacular Lobby In The Worldtm).

• Like 2

Why doesn't Houston try to land other companies outside of oil and gas?

See the Ellington Spaceport and TMCs new innovation/research collaborative developments if you don't think Houston is working on expanding beyond O&G.. The city/it's people are trying to boost the presence of other fields, but I somewhat agree that Houston doesn't seem to do enough to attract businesses outside of O&G.. Why didn't Houston make a big push for Genteral Electric?

• Like 1