Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

Why all the skeptisim around this building? All signs point to this going up. Seems like there are quite a few on this board who seem to think this is not a done deal.

it might have something to do with them investing millions to keep a parking garage operational during/after the demo. i realize they had some sort of parking contract with Chase or whoever, but you would think they could of found a way out of that without having to retrofit a new garage (on the exact plot where the tower is supposed to go... maybe if the garage was going on the other side of the tower, so the tower could be built while this reconfigured garage stayed in place, but i dont understand the point of spending money for the parking structure when they will just tear that down to build the tower. something tells me this will just be parking for a little while (hopefully not too long)... but thats me?

maybe if the garage was going on the other side of the tower, so the tower could be built while this reconfigured garage stayed in place, but i dont understand the point of spending money for the parking structure when they will just tear that down to build the tower. something tells me this will just be parking for a little while (hopefully not too long)... but thats me?

None of this scheme makes sense in a conventional arrangement. But I still think that the millions that they have spent to do what they have done already are just part of the price they pay to get the project to move forward, and they would not have invested as much as they already have if things were still tentative.

It is interesting how Skanska will jump through all of these hoops to make this project work while there are two completely empty blocks within a three block radius. I suspect the owners of those lots see them as a gold mines with easy parking revenue in the meantime, whereas the HC building's former owners had what was becoming a tenant repellent maintenance nightmare.

I do wonder if they would have preferred the Chronicle building block if they had it to do over again.

• Like 1

When the Houston Club building was placed on the market it was being marketed for its current parking capacity / revenue only.  The building itself was considered a massive encumbrance and brought down the sale price considerably.  This was an incredibly complex real estate deal and an even more complex construction deal.  

Part of the reason that Skanska made a go a this one when other's didn't was that they have a good handle on the construction cost.  Remember that Skanska is primarily a construction company, so they have the resources to really study all the different options for demo and build back.

• Like 2

Haven't heard any good place to meet up yet. Triton or Nate know downtown best so what are some good places?

Not sure I can help much on this one. They are closing off a pretty wide perimeter and all of the obvious sight lines are obscured. You may be able to look down Rusk from Tranquility Park or down Milam from the Market Square area. The Chase tower is set back the most on the Milam side, so if they let you stand in the street, that would proabably result in the best angle, but the part that they aren’t blowing up will obscure part of the action from that side.  Looks like Milam @ Prairie would be as close as you could get. Maybe the Chronicle garage would be sneak-in-able.

Edited by Nate99

They have some of the streets shut down already tonight. They'll probably have garages closed off... at least they tried to do that for the Macy's demo but I still saw some people sneak to the tops of several of the garages.

People keep asking me and I honestly have no clue where to meet up (even though I created a public facebook event too). Does anyone have any good ideas? I have that friend who is at Kinder Morgan but he tells me security will be very tight tomorrow morning. Apparently another HAIFer has access to Kinder Morgan so I'll see how he got that access...

Anyway, bunch of roads are shut down:

15380718709_0bd9abb6a9_h.jpg

Houston Club Demolition by marclongoria, on Flickr

Travis:

14947177663_04e6d4a6b5_h.jpg

Houston Club Demolition by marclongoria, on Flickr

• Like 2