Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

I still can't picture exactly how much of this is going to be demolished, like the whole thing or is part left standing?  It seems like a whole new view will open up for a bit after this is down that will be interesting since a giant brown set of walls will go down.

Eventually the whole thing will come down, but as I understand it, the "new" garage portion (with the tacked on ramps) will stay until a new garage can be constructed on the rest of the block, whereupon it too will demolished to make room for the rest of the tower.  Those structures will be in the way of an unfettered view, but there will be more stuff visible than here was before for a time.

They ar taking a slice out of the middle to enable implsion of the big side without harming the "new" garage. They are down to the mural now, it is coming out.

j7u6oi.jpg

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 4

have the Capital Tower advertisements been up on the fences for long? i just noticed them today..

At least a couple of weeks - though my ability to put daily sights into the background is a bit disturbing, too.

• Like 2

Eventually the whole thing will come down, but as I understand it, the "new" garage portion (with the tacked on ramps) will stay until a new garage can be constructed on the rest of the block, whereupon it too will demolished to make room for the rest of the tower. Those structures will be in the way of an unfettered view, but there will be more stuff visible than here was before for a time.

They ar taking a slice out of the middle to enable implsion of the big side without harming the "new" garage. They are down to the mural now, it is coming out.

j7u6oi.jpg

Nate is correct. The two bay slice being removed will create about 50 feet of space to roll the rest of the 18 & 12 story buildings in to. With a full basement under the buildings there will be plenty of space for the buildings to fall into. There are a lot of man hours going into this project to insure a safe and succesful project.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

601 Travis, f/k/a Chase Center, is the only garage I can think of with a view of the Houston Club building, and even that is on the other side of the part that's being left up for the time being.  It also has another bunch of floors of office space on top, and windows around the parking.  

Typically, the immediately adjacent streets are closed, as well as about a block in each direction.

IIRC there was a similar exclusion zone when the Montague, neé Hotel Cotton, came down.  

Though this is taller than Foley's (never could get used to calling it anything else), the goal is to bring it as close to straight down as possible.  Otherwise, Niels Esperson, Pennzoil, the Chase Building, and the remaining parking structure would be at quite some risk, 801 Travis and the Subway across the Milam/Rusk intersection a bit less.

• Like 1

Ill be on the observation deck of the Chase Tower. Although if there were a HAIF party, I would be there instead.

That would actually be among the best place. It's closed on Sundays so is it because you actually have access to the Chase Tower that you can get in? I have a friend at Kinder Morgan so I may try to watch it from there... do ya'll think my view would be blocked?

• Like 1

Pic from 1K Main. When I walked over to JW Marriott, the building was striped down all the way to street level already. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410387298.266282.jpg

I wish Esperson was right on the waterfront. Probably where spaghetti warehouse is. I'm gonna start a petition to move spaghetti warehouse to east downtown, move esperson to where spaghetti warehouse is and then build a supertall on the site of the Espersons.

Edited by HoustonIsHome