Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

There was a crane hoisting some big grate looking material either on or off a flatbed trailer.  

The water chiller is still on the roof, so there may be another blocking in the future.

There is no chiller on the roof, it is a cooling tower.  The cooling tower will probably come down with the building.

Took this on my walk back to the office after lunch. egerutut.jpg

Wow! Talk about some weird demolition techniques. Are they trying to tip the top of the building over? They have definitely slanted the top portion!        /s

• Like 3

From what I have heard is they are scaffolding the building to access the exterior brick face for removal. The Netting is to protect pedestrians from any small debris that may fall. The owner elected to scaffold the face instead of using those climbing decks that were used on Texas Ave. Felt it will be safer. 

• Like 2

From what I have heard is they are scaffolding the building to access the exterior brick face for removal. The Netting is to protect pedestrians from any small debris that may fall. The owner elected to scaffold the face instead of using those climbing decks that were used on Texas Ave. Felt it will be safer. 

Thanks for the info and welcome!

Good for them, it means they are salvaging the brick. Skanska is a very environment conscious developer.

Down in the tunnels, Skanska moved their construction office from the old parking office closer to the main corridor down toward the connection with the JP Morgan Chase building, presumably under the new garage section.

I thought I heard at one point that the tunnels would close in April, obviously I was either wrong, or that was a softer date. 

Downtown’s former Houston Club building will be imploded this fall, the property owner said Thursday afternoon in an announcement that included details about plans to close a section of the tunnel underneath the structure.

In January, Skanska USA Commercial Development – the company proposing to build a 35-story office building on the site — said a portion of the tunnel will close for at least two years as it prepares to raze the structure and build the new tower. The closing date has been set for Sat., May 31.

The new building is being designed by Gensler and will contain 750,000 square feet in 35 stories. It will be called Capitol Tower and have a new address of 800 Capitol.

Downtown’s tunnel system is controlled by individual commercial landlords, who own the tunnel portion beneath their buildings. Licensing agreements with the city allow them to connect to their neighbors beneath city streets.

Through its tunnel, the former Houston Club building has direct connections to Chase Tower, 712 Main, the Esperson buildings and Pennzoil Place.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/05/downtown-building-to-be-imploded/#23198101=0

Edited by Triton

Caught my attention in the article:

The first phase of the project involves razing the existing building and garage and the construction of a new parking garage to support the future development.

The demolition process has been under way and includes asbestos abatement and the removal of all exterior brick and windows. Once that process is complete, the building’s structural frame will imploded by D.H. Griffin of Texas Inc. A date has not been set.

so why are they rebuilding/renovating the garage if the building is getting imploded in the fall..?

We've been through this earlier in the thread, but no one really knows.  Ironclad parking deals in perpetuity is anyone's best guess, but it's hard to square how building new ramps and internal structure is worth the money. 

Implosion should be interesting given that they will be leaving the shorter northernmost section. 

I might be able to provide a little more clarification on the parking situation.

As has been explained to me, the parking situation is due to a perpetual easement on the property where the Houston Club now stands. Texas Commerce Bank once owned the JPMorgan Chase Tower, Houston Club Building, and 712 Main (Gulf Building). This of course then became JPMorgan Chase property when the banks became one. When JPMorgan Chase decided to sell the properties via contracts (iron clad) they placed a perpetual easement on the Houston Club property where they must always provide parking. So as it stands that property must always provide parking for the bank