Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

In reference to Spanish Steps, I think the architect was trying to communicate how the stairwells will become an integral sectional aspect of the sunken lobby/tunnel entrance. A more apt reference would be the Prada store in NYC. 

Overall I think this is most exciting major development in downtown and once it's done I'm sure many will be in awe (not by it's height but by it's lighting effects, voyeuristic street face, and lobby design). 

• Like 5

Ill just post what i did on swamplot:

Even though Skanska’s tower is the least sexy of the three major ones proposed for downtown, I hope it gets built because I would really love for this street level interaction with the tunnels thinking to catch fire. Hopefully they can lead the way in this area.

Skylines are nice but when people actually visit downtown I think they're experience at the street level is more important than what the building looks like.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Three dudes in Skanska hardhats were out by the corner of Milam and Capitol around lunch today.

I walked by to eavesdrop, but all I could make out was something to the effect that the city rent-a-bike rck right there would have to stay due to a 30 day notice requirement. From that I would guess that they are about to start clearing out the area.

There were guys clearing out some interior stuff too.

• Like 3

Interior demolition is definitely going on. They are filling up and switching out dumpsters on the Capitol side with what looked like metal bits.

Many upper floor windows are open as well.

Interior demolition is definitely going on. They are filling up and switching out dumpsters on the Capitol side with what looked like metal bits.

Many upper floor windows are open as well.

• Like 2

Hope they save facades, etc. Knowing Houston, that's a SWAW ( silly wild ass wish).

For this building, I can’t really think of anything that would be worth any extraordinary effort to save for aesthetic reasons, apart from the mural, but that’s just my opinion. It seemed like a perfectly usable building, but rather plain externally.  I figured that it must need some fairly heavy retrofits in the infrastructure in the near term for it not to bring in good money as it sat, as compared to what the cost of a complete tear down and Class AA rebuild would net back to a developer like Skanska, but I have no more insight in to the particular economics of this project than my dog does, so take all that for what it’s worth.

I’ll take pics once they get going, I walk by there fairly regularly.

Three dudes in Skanska hardhats were out by the corner of Milam and Capitol around lunch today.

I walked by to eavesdrop, but all I could make out was something to the effect that the city rent-a-bike rck right there would have to stay due to a 30 day notice requirement. From that I would guess that they are about to start clearing out the area.

That was some high quality snoopage nate, if I do say so myself.

de71jd.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Progress! That building really wasn't worth saving architecturally. I kinda like what they've proposed with the whole light box effect. I know there are a lot of "glass box" designs around or on the drawing boards but something tells me this will stand out a little more than the rest.

• Like 1

That was some high quality snoopage nate, if I do say so myself.

• 4 weeks later...

"Capitol Tower, the former Houston Club building, is on schedule and is currently undergoing interior abatement and demolition. For those wondering, the tower’s design officially calls for 35 stories and will have a direct linkage to the tunnel system."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/09/three-top-real-estate-professionals.html?page=2

• Like 3

"Capitol Tower, the former Houston Club building, is on schedule and is currently undergoing interior abatement and demolition. For those wondering, the tower’s design officially calls for 35 stories and will have a direct linkage to the tunnel system."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/09/three-top-real-estate-professionals.html?page=2

Yay 2 more floors.  :P

• Like 1