Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

See the Ellington Spaceport and TMCs new innovation/research collaborative developments if you don't think Houston is working on expanding beyond O&G.. The city/it's people are trying to boost the presence of other fields, but I somewhat agree that Houston doesn't seem to do enough to attract businesses outside of O&G.. Why didn't Houston make a big push for Genteral Electric?

In the bidding war for GE, I could see a situation where it would be cheaper for CoH to buy the tower itself than fork over whatever bribes it would take to get them to choose us over every other city in the country that would be hustling for their HQ.  GE does a lot of things, one of its particular core competencies seems to be rent seeking through .gov subsidies and tax code quirks.

• Like 6

The city/it's people are trying to boost the presence of other fields, but I somewhat agree that Houston doesn't seem to do enough to attract businesses outside of O&G.. Why didn't Houston make a big push for Genteral Electric?

I haven't heard anything lately about GE. But Southlake is getting a regional campus for TD Ameritrade. Facebook, of all people, has a data center planned for far north Fort Worth. Liberty Mutual, Toyota and State Farm have projects going up in Plano. At one time they were all looking...

I hope they find a tenant so they can build the nice tower, I fear if they don't build it now, it will never get built and all we will get is a parking garage in a very prime lot with tunnel connections galore.

I agree that this building is sexy. Sure, it's not a skyline changer and most people won't even notice it's presence but I love the sunken lobby, open to the outside. Not to mention, this will rival Pennzoil in height won't it?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Remember when the forum was generally "blah" to "slightly negative" about this tower's design.... And now we are begging and pleading to the Construction and Oil Gods to spare this one from the budgetary chopping block.... I do hope it gets built. Having only a garage on this block for years would be a true downer. I have a feeling Skanska won't let us down.

• Like 1

Remember when the forum was generally "blah" to "slightly negative" about this tower's design.... And now we are begging and pleading to the Construction and Oil Gods to spare this one from the budgetary chopping block.... I do hope it gets built. Having only a garage on this block for years would be a true downer. I have a feeling Skanska won't let us down.

Because however lackluster it is, it's way better than just a parking garage.

• Like 1

Inside sources confirm that this is just the garage being built. I was told the tunnel would be open by the end of the year. They are looking for a very large tenant before building the tower. The large law firm has decided to remain in its Pennzoil Place.

I doubt new digs would help Bracewell recruit any better. The legal market is still tight, and I don't know of many associates who'd choose a place for its building. Baker Botts has glorified cubicles for its junior associates now.

• Like 1