Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

• 2 weeks later...

I am betting this does get built, it is in a good location, it is not unreasonably large and over the top, and it can either get new business or steal from lesser buildings nearby. Can't parking revenue also keep it able to pay some bills while space is leased over a few years?

Of course this tower will get built..?

I'm tending to agree at this point, there was just speculation to the contrary earlier. Did they change the development map back?

The tunnel/lobby will be pretty nice.

Edited by Nate99

True. Hopefully they get some tenants signed so they can move forward with the tower portion sooner than later. The tunnel/lobby should be a bit more than just "pretty nice", heh.. It appears to be the best tunnel/street interaction in all of downtown.

• Like 2

It is on the new interactive map as the Capitol Tower

http://www.downtownhouston.org/development/project/capitol-tower/

Interesting that they seem to have bifurcated it on the development map...

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2015-04-09/150408_Development_Map__Renders_11X17_1.pdf

"Under Construction" - #18

Capitol Tower Parking Garage - 7-story, 300-space parking

garage. Skanska. Est. completion 4Q 2015

"Planned" - #28

Capitol Tower - 35-story, 750,000 SF office tower. Skanska. Est.

construction start date not available.

Going off the URL, it is 2 months old now, so who knows.

Weird.  I wonder why they have two maps with different information?

I suspect because it's being built in phases, the first of which is underway while the second is not yet a firm "go" for any particular time.

• Like 1

Has Skanska pitched this building to General Electric?

I highly doubt GE would. They are going through a major structural change right now. They are killing off their Capital Real Estate to Wells Fargo and Blackstone Group (I would know, I am handling the loan sale). GE right now is looking more at layoffs than buying new space. 

• Like 1

I highly doubt GE would. They are going through a major structural change right now. They are killing off their Capital Real Estate to Wells Fargo and Blackstone Group (I would know, I am handling the loan sale). GE right now is looking more at layoffs than buying new space.

But GE is also very publicly considering moving their headquarters out of Connecticut.

• Like 1

But GE is also very publicly considering moving their headquarters out of Connecticut.

Eh, truueee.... But I still doubt they would move to this tower. More likely they would build an office park in some city's suburbs over this location. Since they are getting rid of their CRE, they may just move to Cincinatti or Alpharetta, GA. I could actually see CBRE putting some people in this tower since their business is just absolutely skyrocketing right now and the company is looking to branch out more from the Galleria. 

I do believe the chron article must have run across this thread. Interesting that they have not dug up any more than we have.

They are drilling pilings all the way around. It will be sad if the cranes come down after they finish off the garage portion.

They can probably afford to wait.

As for GE, Abbott seems to think he can lure them. Based almost entirely on an anticipated change in their tax situation.

And again, even if they came to Texas which there is a good chance they could, they still probably wouldn't take advantage of this tower. They have always preferred suburban campuses with the ability to expand for future operations.