Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

Having messed up the parking situation, Skanska is now contractually committed to building a statue of Ben Love on the site no more that five feet below the FAA maximum allowable terrestrial structure height for Downtown Houston.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 3

I'll wildly speculate that what's going on is that rather than Plan A of building the south half of the parking podium, moving over Those Whose Parking Shall Not Be Disturbed, then taking out the north structure and going up with the tower, they are going to Plan B - zap out the whole block and build at least the full footprint of the parking podium so that Chase can get hooked back into the tunnel system.  

It's interesting, though, that after all the time and effort expended to deconstruct the southern structure prior to imploding it, they're going with an old school wrecking ball.

(**insert Miley Cyrus earworm here**)  :ph34r:

• Like 1

My guess, for what it's worth......The garage sustains some damage during the implosion, Have to move Those Whose Parking Shall Not Be Disturbed (TWPSNBD) to another garage for the repairs. Move TWPSNBD to said new site. Once TWPSNBD are gone see an opening.  Now even though they spend the money to demolish the structures as they were see this opening to save millions by now clearing the whole site, gain more room for the construction of the new parking garage, and maybe have a more marketable site to find that new tenant for the new tower....just a guess..

• Like 3

Any buildings in downtown Houston have rooftop access that are pretty tall for pic taking and drone launching? It looks like there is a railing on the smaller gray Chase-matching structure in the pic.

Not many that would be openly accessible.  Public garages would probably be your best bet.  If you get a room at the Magnolia, you could go out on their pool deck, it's at the top. Ditto Hotel Icon.

Judging by the google map satellite image, the 601 Travis garage that you mention doesn't look to have anything but the standard roof top mechanical stuff up there as its top few floors are all office space.

Not many that would be openly accessible.  Public garages would probably be your best bet.  If you get a room at the Magnolia, you could go out on their pool deck, it's at the top. Ditto Hotel Icon.

Judging by the google map satellite image, the 601 Travis garage that you mention doesn't look to have anything but the standard roof top mechanical stuff up there as its top few floors are all office space.

Nate is correct. I can see the top of this garage from my office. However there is quite a lot of equipment on that roof and what cannot be seen from street level is that at the center of the garage structure is a smaller oval office/conference room level rising above the last visible floor that could have roof access. There are also coolers for the JP Morgan building in a hidden nook on the northeast portion of the mega garage slash office. As this was a Hines construction I wouldn't put it past them putting permanent railings in simply for safety of workers on the roof.

As a side note for those who don't work downtown there is kind of a parking crunch since many surface lots have bitten it and The Market square garage is not open to daily parkers only contract. This has prompted the Chronicle to open up half their garage to public use for eight bucks a day. Also their is like a seven hundred person long waiting list to get a contract parking spot with the Theater District Parking during daytime hours. If Skanska builds this garage they will get a lot of business to pay for it while they search for a tenant so they can build their tower. Parking rates are rising all over downtown. Last I checked the going rate for contract parking was between $120 and $150 a month for a space. Many of my co-workers are not happy about this for obvious reasons. On a bright note this is causing several of them to consider riding metro. (More parking for me!)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

On a side note, it won't be too long before 609 Main will peek over the top of the Chase Tower garage and be visible from Milam near where I took the pictures above. 

Stuff's going to get a lot denser in here. If this (Capitol Tower) gets built all the way as rendered, it will be an interesting new atmosphere going down Capitol.

Edited by Nate99

I understand and respect Skanska's reasons for postponing the project because of the questionable economic environment, but I'm just disappointed that we're only getting a seven story parking garage for now in such a prime spot, especially because I feel like the building that they ripped down had potential to be converted into pretty cool residential units. I hope they are able to eventually find a lead tenant because I really like their proposal.

• Like 5