Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

There's a staircase and IIRC a short run elevator in what used to be the entry hall facing Capitol, now probably not far inside where the temporary CMU wall is.  I suspect it's still open so that the Privileged Ones at Chase can still enter the garage without having to muck about with the plebes on the street.

I wonder if, when the parking structure opens ahead of the rest of the building being built, the tunnel system connections to Pennzoil and Esperson (and the southern tunnel to 712 Main) will also then be resurrected.  Judging by the plans they have out there, I don't  see why not.

I hear the priviliged ones are pretty perturbed they have to park two blocks away.....they may actually have to interact with the masses. Although they are getting shuttled by bus to their building. Heaven forbid they dirty their shoes having to walk the pavement.

Thrown away?!? Do you have any clue that scrap is recycled and worth money to the Demolition Contractor? All that concrete will be recycled. I venture to say 90% of that pile will not be thrown away.

Yeah dude chill lol. No need to jump all over him :P

It's a LEED Platinum building meaning that of course the vast majority of these materials have to be recycled so they can get the points (also for those that don't know the reason :P ).

Random cool story time on Recycling:

Houston is one of the few cities in which crushed concrete is viewed as a commodity.  In many places it is taken to landfills, but here in H-Town it is almost always recycled.  Some of it is even placed in shipping containers and sent to countries like India and China.

Steel in this condition is separated from the concrete debris and sold back to the steel mills. Typical steel from companies like Nucor will contain 60-90% recycled content.  It is pretty cool to think that the steel in that pile will all be taken and turned into steel for another building.  Some of it could even end up back in Capitol Tower by the time all things are said and done. 

/LEED Rant

• Like 2

This is actually how you get additional LEED credits as well, is by making sure that some of these materials gets recycled into the new building. It's a headache all around lol, but if you get a well organized contractor then it can be done. What's more unique about Houston than in other cities as you have mentioned is that we have a very strong palette of trades that are able to use these materials. Most people think that everyone can use concrete or steel, but we are lucky to be living in such a big city that has all these trades particularly for concrete. I mean why do you think it's used so much here. It's probably the strongest trade here.

The demolition company is literally sorting out all the different types of materials at this moment.  I was out there for an hour, and I only saw them collecting/ hauling off the major pieces of steel beam today.  I also got to talk to one of the foremen.  Most of the debris is being recycled. He also said they do not have any dates as to when the garage is coming down. They are going to keep it up for as long as possible.

15498905287_56e3133693_b.jpg

Steel beams being collected and chopped up. Those "jaws" on that excavator can chop those steel beams up at a rate of about 2-3 seconds each cut.

15498245479_44193e0d1b_b.jpg

Edited by mlyoung83
  • Like 7

The demolition company is literally sorting out all the different types of materials at this moment. I was out there for an hour, and I only saw them collecting/ hauling off the major pieces of steel beam today. I also got to talk to one of the foremen. Most of the debris is being recycled. He also said they do not have any dates as to when the garage is coming down. They are going to keep it up for as long as possible.

15498905287_56e3133693_b.jpg

Steel beams being collected and chopped up. Those "jaws" on that excavator can chop those steel beams up at a rate of about 2-3 seconds each cut.

15498245479_44193e0d1b_b.jpg

They were removing a lot of material today. A LOT.

• Like 1

this building wont really have a impact on the skyline will it?

an impact? no

of all the buildings proposed downtown, this is the least interesting to me. Plus it will obstruct views of far superior buildings.

this is the only project in the entire metro, that I kinda hope gets canned.

Edited by LarryDierker

• 2 weeks later...

So I was at Imagine this past saturday at GRB which is the TSA (Texas Society of Architects) Design Expo. Went to a lecture of sorts which talked about the building in some detail particularly about it's design intent as well as it's incredible LEED Platinum pre-certification. I want y'all to know that this building is going to be awesome! They really made this the Cadillac of spec buildings lol, but at the same time it should be very much affordable for tenets. It's also leading the charge nationally in terms of how people persue the newest version of LEED which is LEED v4. It will be one of only 3 buildings in America that will be classified as LEED Platinum under this new version which is only in Beta trails. That's a pretty big deal. Those distinctions alone will set it miles apart from other buildings downtown which will make it very attractive to tenets. It's presence at street level is going to be fabulous. I'm sure all of you have seen the renders of the two level open space that is at street level down to the tunnels. That's something that no building in downtown has approached the tunnel system in that way. It also has retail on street level. This one will be awesome to see when it's finished!

• Like 7