HAIF - Houston's original social media

Bank of America Tower Formerly Capitol Tower

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, the first tower crane is going up and according to a rigger and some Skanska workers, 2 more tower cranes will be going up in the next couple of weeks. The office portion is going up too!!!  They

It's kind of open, at least if you wander around from Pennzoil, there's nothing/no one to stop you continuing through the tunnel level.    It looks really well done. In one mole person's opi

Capitol Tower-Houston-05 2019 by Mabry Campbell, on Flickr   Capitol Tower-Houston-05 2019 by Mabry Campbell, on Flickr

Posted Images

All this labor for a parking garage. <_<

I know.  It makes my nose bleed just thinking about it.  

Since it's just a parking garage in the rear section, what are they going to do with the half-block facing Capitol?  Surface parking?  What about the tunnel connections to Chase Tower?

• Like 1

I know.  It makes my nose bleed just thinking about it.  

Since it's just a parking garage in the rear section, what are they going to do with the half-block facing Capitol?  Surface parking?  What about the tunnel connections to Chase Tower?

I have no insight on the plan here, but they are drilling pilings around the perimeter of the block all the way out to the Capitol St. side (where the demolition continues).  You can see the gaps in the "tub" for tunnel connections to Pennzoil and Esperson. Once they get the hole dug the rest of the way down, I suspect you will see the same on that side. Whether they make provisions to accommodate the big lobby to tunnel thing in the rendering for an eventual tower atop whatever they build first, who knows, that whole design may be out the window at this point.

The squinty eyes in grady's post's smiley makes me think grady is suspecting that it might not be just a garage. In the case that a base is built that can accommodate a tower later, they would obviously have to build the foundation right the first time, though maybe Purdue can tell us if it would foul up the whole thing to build a foundation to hold the weight of a big tower only to partially load it for a number of years before pressing on with the final design.

• Like 1

I'm not clutching my pearls just yet.  Skanska is still actively marketing the office component; my guess is that since the office market is taking a pause they've reorganized the project path and schedule to do all of the parking garage component first, rather than just half of it, in order to start getting some cash coming in.  The garage was always planned as a podium taking up the entire block for floors 2 - 11; all of the office space is above it.  With that, there's no readily apparent reason why the lobby and tunnel levels wouldn't be built out as planned.  Granted, it's a glorious lobby for a parking structure.

Another wild guess is that Those Whose Parking Shall Not Be Disturbed are perhaps a bit annoyed at having to use umbrellas to get around downtown, and were willing to sacrifice the parking to get their tunnel connections back.

• Like 2

From what I hear, Skanska will construct the base of the tower to street level. I don't believe they are committed as of yet to go any further. I guess by doing this, they can connect into the tunnel system and control water and drainage on the site.

• Like 1

I'm not clutching my pearls just yet.  Skanska is still actively marketing the office component; my guess is that since the office market is taking a pause they've reorganized the project path and schedule to do all of the parking garage component first, rather than just half of it, in order to start getting some cash coming in.  The garage was always planned as a podium taking up the entire block for floors 2 - 11; all of the office space is above it.  With that, there's no readily apparent reason why the lobby and tunnel levels wouldn't be built out as planned.  Granted, it's a glorious lobby for a parking structure.

Another wild guess is that Those Whose Parking Shall Not Be Disturbed are perhaps a bit annoyed at having to use umbrellas to get around downtown, and were willing to sacrifice the parking to get their tunnel connections back.

Ah, thanks.  I didn't realize that the garage took up the entire block.  So it will end up as large parking garage with a very grand lobby, for a parking garage.  

I drove past the site last week when I was Houston. Man is that block massive! Also as I stated before, Skanska will build Capitol Tower as they are committed to the project. It's just a matter of when.

Edited by JoninATX

I drove past the site last week when I was Houston. Man is that block massive! Also as I stated before, Skanska will build Capitol Tower as they are committed to the project. It's just a matter of when.

?

It's pretty much the same size as almost every other block downtown... (and our blocks are relatively small)

?

It's pretty much the same size as almost every other block downtown... (and our blocks are relatively small)

From a perspective, it looked pretty big. I believe Houston blocks are a little larger than Austin if I'm not mistaken.

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize that the garage took up the entire block. So it will end up as large parking garage with a very grand lobby, for a parking garage.

I'm okay with this for the mean time.. That lobby was the best part of the project, so I'm really just excited about that street level/tunnel interaction. Heh

• Like 1

Reading the tea leaves in the form of crane base delivery, it appears that at least the garage portion is a go.  I stand to be corrected, but it doesn't seem like a tower crane would be needed to just finish things up to the street level, as another commenter suggested.

Hey Nate, I think I se my office from your office! :) I was pumped when I saw the crane but I'm disappointed that it's only for the garage.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I was waving, you didn't see me.

Looking at where they placed the crane base, you have to wonder if they are just doing half the block (they could put up another, I suppose).  It would be a long reach to get all the way to the Milam/Capitol corner from where they set the base.

There is another crane going in on the Milam side halfway between Capitol & Rusk. But the Tower is still on hold for now from what I am hearing. The crane on Travis side is scheduled to go up tomorrow.

• Like 3

7-story garage to be built no matter what. When they choose to move forward with the office tower, they'll add floors to the garage.

It will certainly help the parking situation downtown and make it easier for suburbanites to play downtown. 

Man I wish this building was going up. While it wouldn't have made any impact on the skyline, the sunken lobby area next to the street would have been a welcome addition. Seems like every building cycle there are great proposals that bite the dust. In the 80s it was most of Houston Center and BSWT. I guess it's only to be expected.

Edited by wxman
  • Like 1

Man I wish this building was going up. While it wouldn't have made any impact on the skyline, the sunken lobby area next to the street would have been a welcome addition. Seems like every building cycle there are great proposals that bite the dust. In the 80s it was most of Houston Center and BSWT. I guess it's only to be expected.

It's going to get built. Skanska isn't putting millions of dollars for some parking garage, right now there waiting for a tenant to sign and could be in the works for some company as we speak.

• Like 1
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Bank of America Tower Formerly Capitol Tower