Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

I might be able to provide a little more clarification on the parking situation.

As has been explained to me, the parking situation is due to a perpetual easement on the property where the Houston Club now stands. Texas Commerce Bank once owned the JPMorgan Chase Tower, Houston Club Building, and 712 Main (Gulf Building). This of course then became JPMorgan Chase property when the banks became one. When JPMorgan Chase decided to sell the properties via contracts (iron clad) they placed a perpetual easement on the Houston Club property where they must always provide parking. So as it stands that property must always provide parking for the bank

There might be a kernel of truth in there somewhere, but there is enough misinformation to cast doubt on the whole story.  Texas Commerce Bank never owned JPMorgan Chase Tower and JPMorgan Chase Tower never became the property of JPMorgan Chase.

You are correct on the ownership of the Tower. To be absolutely and technically correct it was a capitol lease.

The only thing I don't understand is couldn't they temporarily relocate those people to a different garage at their expense? Then once the new garage is done bring them back.

I just shared what was explained to me so don't quote me on it but I considered the source pretty reliable.

There might be a kernel of truth in there somewhere, but there is enough misinformation to cast doubt on the whole story.  Texas Commerce Bank never owned JPMorgan Chase Tower and JPMorgan Chase Tower never became the property of JPMorgan Chase.

You have a point in that JPMorgan Chase Tower (neè Texas Commerce Tower in United Energy Plaza) was built a few decades after the Houston Club building.  

Howsoever, when it was built the Houston Club building also housed operations for the National Bank of Commerce, the headquarters of which was across the street in the Gulf Building.  I haven't chained out the title, but Jesse Jones was up to his eyebrows in the bank and in constructing both buildings, regardless of how many different entities were actually the nominal owners.  National Bank of Commerce merged with Texas National Bank to become the Texas National Bank of Commerce (complete with really twangy radio jingle about "all the bank you'll ever need" - thanks for the earworm, Bud), later shortened to Texas Commerce Bank, subsequently assimilated by the Borg Chase singularity.  

The easement idea makes sense from a legal standpoint.  It's creative, and it works. Ya gotta love the mano a mano involved in having a parking space that you simply won't sell at any price under a price where it makes sense to go ahead and literally blow up its previously attached building. 

The easement idea makes sense from a legal standpoint.  It's creative, and it works. Ya gotta love the mano a mano involved in having a parking space that you simply won't sell at any price under a price where it makes sense to go ahead and literally blow up its previously attached building. 

Really makes me want to go in to real estate development if one can jump through all of these hoops and still make a profit. 

The article states implosion of the existing building and garage.

The 6 story at Capitol is staying for now. Skanska is paying big $$$ to convert that into a stand alone structure. The ramps for the garage are in the 12 story that is coming down. That's the reason for the steel ramps at Milam. The Demo Contractor is taking a two bay section of the 18 & 12 story out next to the 6 story, this will create space to drop the building in.

• Like 1

The 6 story at Capitol is staying for now. Skanska is paying big $$$ to convert that into a stand alone structure. The ramps for the garage are in the 12 story that is coming down. That's the reason for the steel ramps at Milam. The Demo Contractor is taking a two bay section of the 18 & 12 story out next to the 6 story, this will create space to drop the building in.

This will be fun to watch. 

They have already constructed internal walls between the 6 story section and the rest that you can see when they have the big doors open on Travis. Making it ready for implosion will be a neat trick. 

Really makes me want to go in to real estate development if one can jump through all of these hoops and still make a profit. 

That would be a part of the challenge, wouldn't it?  I kinda like figuring out how to make the hoops work, personally (though I realize that ain't for everyone)>

This will be fun to watch. 

They have already constructed internal walls between the 6 story section and the rest that you can see when they have the big doors open on Travis. Making it ready for implosion will be a neat trick. 

aye, Cap'n.

You are correct on the ownership of the Tower. To be absolutely and technically correct it was a capitol lease.

The only thing I don't understand is couldn't they temporarily relocate those people to a different garage at their expense? Then once the new garage is done bring them back.

I just shared what was explained to me so don't quote me on it but I considered the source pretty reliable.

No sir.  To be absolutely and technically correct, neither JP Morgan Chase nor any of its predecessors either owns or has ever owned any part of JPMorgan Chase Tower (nee Texas Commerce Tower), either by fee simple title, capital lease or otherwise.  They are and have always been nothing more than a tenant with naming rights.

I am not going nine rounds on this. Say that you won or digress I don't care. I enjoy these forums and only post information when I believe it comes from a credible source. The main part of my post was about the parking situation that has puzzled most so let's just stay on that.

• Like 2

^ And I think that the main point - that they accomplished it by granting an easement - was some pretty darned clever work on the part of whoever thunk it up, elegant in its simplicity.

Better (well, different anyway) shot of the stripped out part. Looks like they have two floors worth of frame exposed already on the Capitol side. 

Sorry about the glare, would have been a better shot a few hours later. 

317k5j7.jpg

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

lovely illustrations.  here's hoping that this state of the art edifice, shall change into a myriad of LED colors rather than just stay with a "white glow" throughout the evening / night time.  WELCOME TO DOWNTOWN HOUSTON SKANSKA!

It manages to do the crown (which will be pretty much the only part visible from outside downtown) pretty well as crowns go, and the first floor is going to be a game changer for us Mole People by opening up what was the dankest, most non-ADA part of the tunnel system.  All in all, I'd say it's a +.