Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

8 minutes ago, samagon said:

elevator systems like this are where everyone is headed. it's overall better, fewer elevators and more efficient at getting you to your floor on time.

And whoever has access to the data has a permanent record of when you entered and left.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Luminare said:

...so does this website.

Of course it does. The less of this sort of thing, the better, especially in regards to physical movements.

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy having little glass doors and automated approvals for the daily movements that I used to be able to just leisurely saunter through?

• Like 2

Just now, H-Town Man said:

Of course it does. The less of this sort of thing, the better, especially in regards to physical movements.

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy having little glass doors and automated approvals for the daily movements that I used to be able to just leisurely saunter through?

In some instances yes and in some instances no.

This is what I always used to caution people about "smart cities".

In reality the bigger question is this. Do we want a system that gives you more autonomy or do we want a system with more efficiency.

In this instance. I'm fine with more efficiency. The priority is moving people in the most efficient way possible to their destination. Not their privacy in where they are going. Now if this were to be installed in new residential homes or even apartments....now thats where we can sacrifice a little efficiency for autonomy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Luminare said:

In some instances yes and in some instances no.

This is what I always used to caution people about "smart cities".

In reality the bigger question is this. Do we want a system that gives you more autonomy or do we want a system with more efficiency.

In this instance. I'm fine with more efficiency. The priority is moving people in the most efficient way possible to their destination. Not their privacy in where they are going. Now if this were to be installed in new residential homes or even apartments....now thats where we can sacrifice a little efficiency for autonomy. 

I see what you're saying but to me it was efficient enough before. Maybe not to building management, but I like my autonomy more than their efficiency. I also like being able to decide, ok, I'm going to let the mom with three screaming kids or the guy with six boxes or the two lovers have this elevator and wait for the next one. Without getting scolded by an automated female voice with a slight British accent or having my social credit score lowered.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I see what you're saying but to me it was efficient enough before. Maybe not to building management, but I like my autonomy more than their efficiency. I also like being able to decide, ok, I'm going to let the mom with three screaming kids or the guy with six boxes or the two lovers have this elevator and wait for the next one. Without getting scolded by an automated female voice with a slight British accent or having my social credit score lowered.

And I understand that as well. There has to be some balance of the two. Luckily, overall, our city, state, and nation are built on provide more autonomy than efficiency, so that last part about social credit scores, like the one in china, I don't see being implemented here. With the last trends of people turning their back to social media, and possible regulation + split ups of tech giants coming, it seems that the balance that I assume both of us crave will be restored in some sense.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Luminare said:

And I understand that as well. There has to be some balance of the two. Luckily, overall, our city, state, and nation are built on provide more autonomy than efficiency, so that last part about social credit scores, like the one in china, I don't see being implemented here. With the last trends of people turning their back to social media, and possible regulation + split ups of tech giants coming, it seems that the balance that I assume both of us crave will be restored in some sense.

Social credit scores likely won't be administered by government in the U.S. but some version of them could come about privately, in an alliance between Google or Facebook and other corporate entities, universities, the media, etc. We have already seen how old Facebook data is used to make hiring and admission decisions and is easily accessible to the press. That is the tip of the iceberg. There probably won't be a single score but just an easily searchable trove of data with various flags that can be sold or strategically delivered for free at the whim of the people controlling it.

Regulation/breaking up of the tech giants can't come fast enough but is far from a done deal. They have some of society's smartest members, an unlimited budget, and have been planning for this for years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Social credit scores likely won't be administered by government in the U.S. but some version of them could come about privately, in an alliance between Google or Facebook and other corporate entities, universities, the media, etc. We have already seen how old Facebook data is used to make hiring and admission decisions and is easily accessible to the press. That is the tip of the iceberg. There probably won't be a single score but just an easily searchable trove of data with various flags that can be sold or strategically delivered for free at the whim of the people controlling it.

Regulation/breaking up of the tech giants can't come fast enough but is far from a done deal. They have some of society's smartest members, an unlimited budget, and have been planning for this for years.

They might be smart, but they show an extreme lack of wisdom, and that will be their ultimate undoing. Strangely this has become a bi-partisan issue, and on both sides its for different reasons, but at this point they are both awake, and understand what has to be done (even if its motivated by selfishness to protect their own powers. Its bettter than nothing). Not to mention once an entity, institution, or movement becomes censorious that means the end is near. The rapid amount of censorship across all platforms will be the death nail that brings regulation and breakup.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

And whoever has access to the data has a permanent record of when you entered and left.

if you use a computer, I have some bad news for you...

I know I like to think I am a pretty big deal, and everyone wants to know where I specifically am at all times. I imagine the security system of the building has klaxons that go off whenever my movement is recognized through the use of my key card. The reality is that no one cares when I enter the controlled space, they only care that I am allowed to enter, and what floor I am going to.

Employers who are paying CAM, they want to have certain common areas that are accessible only by employees.

Sure, your employer could track your movement, when you come, when you go, how long it takes you to get from the lobby to your desk (Sir, H-Town man is sauntering to the office again, this is the 3rd time this week that he's been sauntering, and he stopped in the break room before he got to his desk this time!), but the reality is they don't care. If you have performance issues at work, then your direct manager may track that data, but otherwise no one cares. 

The gated elevators may have something to do with making it easier for Understory to have extended hours, rather than locking tight at 6 or 7 like the rest of the tunnel system.  Speaking of which, and back on topic...

It may or may not be intentional, but the one by one rollout of the Understory purveyors seems smoother than the all at once opening of Finn Hall.  Also, people do seem to actually congregate in the common area down there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, samagon said:

if you use a computer, I have some bad news for you...

I know I like to think I am a pretty big deal, and everyone wants to know where I specifically am at all times. I imagine the security system of the building has klaxons that go off whenever my movement is recognized through the use of my key card. The reality is that no one cares when I enter the controlled space, they only care that I am allowed to enter, and what floor I am going to.

Employers who are paying CAM, they want to have certain common areas that are accessible only by employees.

Sure, your employer could track your movement, when you come, when you go, how long it takes you to get from the lobby to your desk (Sir, H-Town man is sauntering to the office again, this is the 3rd time this week that he's been sauntering, and he stopped in the break room before he got to his desk this time!), but the reality is they don't care. If you have performance issues at work, then your direct manager may track that data, but otherwise no one cares. 

Should be pretty clear from my above comments that I recognize that anything done on a computer is tracked.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Mods please consider changing the title of this thread to Bank of America Tower | 800 Capitol St

For ease of reference, I think it makes sense to keep it as Capitol Tower, at least for the time being.  My guess is that most people still think of Bank of America Tower as the structure at 700 Louisiana, and in fact googling the term mainly brings up references to the older building.  The new structure is still probably thought of as Capitol Tower by most people.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

A buddy of mine who will be working here says that they call it "The BOAT". 

Makes sense.  Building memos at 700 Louisiana always referred to "BOAC," which of course would immediately start a Back In The USSR earworm.

2 hours ago, Subdude said:

For ease of reference, I think it makes sense to keep it as Capitol Tower, at least for the time being.  My guess is that most people still think of Bank of America Tower as the structure at 700 Louisiana, and in fact googling the term mainly brings up references to the older building.  The new structure is still probably thought of as Capitol Tower by most people.  

Maybe a change to Bank of America Center / formerly Capitol Tower by Skanska?  The Houston Club building seems to be going down the memory hole anyway.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Capitol Tower by Skanska, aka Bank of America Center

Speaking of Houston Club and other places - Be cool if before they knock down some of the landmarks if they let pickers go in and take a piece of history - a nice marble counter - an iconic sign - some decorative doors etc - a sort of urban garage sale.

Before the Houston Club closed, they held an auction in which they tried to sell damn near everything they could.  When Skanska took over the property, the only think left was Asbestos, Mold, and years of neglect.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Bank of America Tower | 800 Capitol St. | Formerly Capitol Tower

13 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

The lights in the crown really make this building ... all of the lit-up buildings were blue last night ... anyone know why?

I believe it was in correspondence with an event held at Buffalo bayou park last night for the full moon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2