barracuda

Bank of America Tower | 800 Capitol St. | Formerly Capitol Tower

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

So do those trees have to rely on the light filtering through the windows from ground level, or are they putting in some grow lights into the atrium?

Don't know what species these trees are, but different trees have differing light requirements.  One would expect that the landscape company took this into consideration - it's not your next door neighbor trying to figure out why the roses aren't growing in deep shade while the baby understory tree (Japanese red maple IIRC) is being burned to a crisp beside the driveway (true story).

2 hours ago, brijonmang said:

A closer shot from an Instagram buddy

It's really striking coming in on 45 from the north.

• Like 9

^^^ absolutely gorgeous!  i wonder just what the color blue lighting is symbolizing on this particular nightscape?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gclass said:

^^^ absolutely gorgeous!  i wonder just what the color blue lighting is symbolizing on this particular nightscape?

Corporate preference, I would guess. 

Skanska_08292016-e1474983389427.jpg

• Like 3

All of downtown has been blue lately.  I did see where they had a rainbow pattern and an orange and blue pattern a few nights ago, but I was driving and couldn't get a picture.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Lol @ 609 Main. Seriously just turn them off. 

609 Main's crown lighting looks unfinished, and it's usually so dim that it also looks a bit borked.  The white vertical stripe does OK, though.

• Like 3

Wow, that “skypark” will be a great feature for tenants.  Smart idea and it is likely helping lease the place.

did I read somewhere that this building is getting close to “fully leased”?

• Like 5

Article from  Globe St on Understory and Capitol Tower in downtown Houston, 800 Capitol St.:

This was published yesterday:

Understory is the 35,000-square-foot community hub and culinary market at Skanska’s Capitol Tower office development. Upon its opening later this year, Understory will be the first space in the tunnel network to be active seven days a week, from morning to night.

...“With Understory at Capitol Tower, we are creating so much more than just a new place to eat. This vibrant open-air community space will showcase the diversity of Houston’s globally acclaimed food scene and allow Houstonians from all walks of life to experience new, exciting flavors in a space that fosters a strong sense of community,” Damborsky tells GlobeSt.com. “This, paired with the merging of the street and tunnel levels for the first time ever, will create a destination unlike any other in the city of Houston.”

...With a design by the Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, Understory kitchens will have artist murals, copper clad kitchen hoods, butcher block countertops and white marble. In addition to an abundance of community space and a full-service restaurant, Understory features a culinary market with seven chef-driven concepts and a cocktail bar.

A design hallmark of Understory is the open-air blending of the street and tunnel levels, facilitated by the “Great Steps,” a 30-foot-wide monumental staircase and gathering place that will create the first true street level gateway to the tunnel network. This gateway will be highlighted by a large hanging art installation that will be visible from Capitol, Rusk and Milam streets.

https://www.globest.com/2019/05/21/culinary-market-set-to-open-later-this-year/?slreturn=20190422071955

There is also this from the article:

...the 9,000-square-foot culinary market, which is now 80% leased with one of seven restaurant slots and the cocktail bar remaining.

But the cocktail bar has an operator and name. It's Capitol Bar and the operators were discussed a few weeks ago in this post here in this thread.
Common Bond is going here as last reported by CultureMap if leasing negotiations haven't fallen apart.

• Like 3

chef-driven concept

But what about local bar talent?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

But what about local bar talent?

Again, I JUST posted a link to the previous post about that in the post DIRECTLY above yours.

59 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

There is also this from the article:

...the 9,000-square-foot culinary market, which is now 80% leased with one of seven restaurant slots and the cocktail bar remaining.

But the cocktail bar has an operator and name. It's Capitol Bar and the operators were discussed a few weeks ago in this post here in this thread.
Common Bond is going here as last reported by CultureMap if leasing negotiations haven't fallen apart.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 9:07 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

New view.

WGHfkIl.jpg

I ran by this building yesterday.  It’s quite beautiful.  And I really appreciate a tree-lined Street.  The giant tree boxes they installed along Capitol and Rusk (right side, above) are nice, but along Travis (left side, above) and Milan they block almost the entire sidewalk.  You can’t even walk two people abreast when going around them.  As a runner in Houston, it’s frustrating how little attention is paid to pedestrian traffic in this city — on a multitude of levels!

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MarathonMan said:

I ran by this building yesterday.  It’s quite beautiful.  And I really appreciate a tree-lined Street.  The giant tree boxes they installed along Capitol and Rusk (right side, above) are nice, but along Travis (left side, above) and Milan they block almost the entire sidewalk.  You can’t even walk two people abreast when going around them.  As a runner in Houston, it’s frustrating how little attention is paid to pedestrian traffic in this city — on a multitude of levels!

I could not agree more. On the Travis St and Milam St sides they took what was otherwise a large sidewalk and made it tiny. Unsure how no one pointed that out. Wish them all the success but kind of hoping the City takes corrective action. It is especially bad on the Travis street side. Otherwise, I think it is a great addition and in my opinion turned out better than expected. 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Again, I JUST posted a link to the previous post about that in the post DIRECTLY above yours.

Sorry, that was a private joke to myself, I should probably keep such things private. 

The press release-ish verbiage describing the food halls use the precise phrases "chef driven concept" and "local bar talent" with such regularity, I infer a lack of self-awareness on the author's part.  It reads like boilerplate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, urbanize713 said:

I could not agree more. On the Travis St and Milam St sides they took what was otherwise a large sidewalk and made it tiny. Unsure how no one pointed that out. Wish them all the success but kind of hoping the City takes corrective action. It is especially bad on the Travis street side. Otherwise, I think it is a great addition and in my opinion turned out better than expected. 

I'm pretty sure they did it that way on the Travis side right by the garage to slow pedestrians as they approach the garage exit/entrance, to minimize the chance of a pedestrian getting run over by a car.  You don't want joggers going full speed by a blind exit (yes, motorists should drive slowly and pay attention to where they are going, but who are we kidding?  This is Houston, where even the Chief of Police runs over a pedestrian in a crosswalk downtown...).

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rechlin said:

I'm pretty sure they did it that way on the Travis side right by the garage to slow pedestrians as they approach the garage exit/entrance, to minimize the chance of a pedestrian getting run over by a car.  You don't want joggers going full speed by a blind exit (yes, motorists should drive slowly and pay attention to where they are going, but who are we kidding?  This is Houston, where even the Chief of Police runs over a pedestrian in a crosswalk downtown...).

Apologies, I actual meant the Milam street side is the worst side. The Travis side is actually not as bad because as seen in the picture,  half of that side is driveways. Pic I took before barricades were taken down. 

46993633255_c4e0bd5044_b.jpg

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

47 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

Apologies, I actual meant the Milam street side is the worst side. The Travis side is actually not as bad because as seen in the picture,  half of that side is driveways. Pic I took before barricades were taken down. 

46993633255_c4e0bd5044_b.jpg

Would that perhaps be a design feature intentionally scaled the way it is to keep a car that has inadvertently (or otherwise) jumped the curb from getting through to the glass and further on to the tunnels below?  The planters would need to be thick enough to stop something heavy moving fast and the gap between them and the columns would need to be sufficiently narrow. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Was doing a long hike all around the city this past Sunday. Walked past....like wow. They threw down some serious dough for this Food Hall / Lobby / Tunnel area. Its gorgeous! So much marble...marble everywhere. The wood panel ceiling with recessed lighting. This is going to be a real gem in Downtown. I like how we now have so many Food Halls coming online, but all of them are unique and interesting. A wide variety of materials, and meal offerings. Can't wait to go inside.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 9

image-from-ios*480xx3024-4032-0-0.jpg

New name revealed for Skanska's Capitol Tower in downtown Houston

After nearly two years of waiting, downtown Houston’s newest skyscraper has an official name.

The 35-story Capitol Tower at 811 Rusk St. in the city’s Central Business District will now be called Bank of America Tower, officials announced at a May 22 press event. The tower takes its name from its anchor tenant, Charlotte, North Carolina-based Bank of America (NYSE: BAC), which preleased 210,000 square feet of space in the tower. Bank of America is vacating 700 Louisiana St., commonly called Bank of America Center. A new name for that building has not been announced yet, but Bank of America plans to move into its new offices in June. The bank will have more than 600 employees in the new space, consolidating three downtown Houston locations.

The May 22 press event was hosted by New York-based Skanska USA Commercial Development, the developer on the project. In January, Skanska announced it would move its Houston operation from 3009 Post Oak Blvd. into Bank of America Tower. Skanska will occupy approximately 12,481 square feet on the tower’s 12th floor.

Skanska and Bank of America will be joined by Houston-based Waste Management Inc. (NYSE: WM), Houston-based Quantum Energy Partners and international law firm Winston & Strawn as tenants in the property. The addition of Skanska brought the building’s occupancy 83 percent, as of January.

Construction on the 750,000-square-foot, Platinum LEED-certified tower began in summer 2017, topped out in April 2018 and finished up earlier this year. The Houston office of San Francisco-based Gensler designed the project.

The site of the development is the former location of the Houston Club, which was demolished in October 2014.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Would that perhaps be a design feature intentionally scaled the way it is to keep a car that has inadvertently (or otherwise) jumped the curb from getting through to the glass and further on to the tunnels below?  The planters would need to be thick enough to stop something heavy moving fast and the gap between them and the columns would need to be sufficiently narrow. 

I’d say the building columns would serve that purpose.  There is really no excuse for not opening up the sidewalks more to pedestrians — along Milan, especially (as pointed out above).

• Like 4

The sidewalk/planter box situation is terrible.  I cannot fathom why a brand new building would be built this way.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, TexasGeneral said:

There is a giant sign up across the front glass wall of the lobby that says “Banc of America Tower”.  

From Houston Business Journal yesterday on the name change from Capitol Tower to Bank of America Tower, downtown Houston 800 Capitol St.

After nearly two years of waiting, downtown Houston’s newest skyscraper has an official name.

The 35-story Capitol Tower at 811 Rusk St. in the city’s Central Business District will now be called Bank of America Tower, officials announced at a May 22 press event. The tower takes its name from its anchor tenant, Charlotte, North Carolina-based Bank of America (NYSE: BAC), which preleased 210,000 square feet of space in the tower. Bank of America is vacating 700 Louisiana St., commonly called Bank of America Center. A new name for that building has not been announced yet, but Bank of America plans to move into its new offices in June. The bank will have more than 600 employees in the new space, consolidating three downtown Houston locations.

The May 22 press event was hosted by New York-based Skanska USA Commercial Development, the developer on the project.

Rest here: https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/22/new-name-revealed-for-skanskas-capitol-tower.html

More from BisNow Houston this morning: 

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/office/skanska-unveils-new-name-of-35-story-office-tower-99092?rt=69302

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Photo showing progress and completion of Understory food hall in downtown Houston. This is in the Bank of America Tower, previously Capitol Tower, 800 Capitol St.

Photo is from BisNow Houston's article linked in the post above:

J1JMIyV.jpg

The Assembly in the Bank of America Tower, previously Capitol Tower in downtown Houston, 800 Capitol St.

TPYjSMj.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Photos of completed construction and progress of Bank of America Tower (previously Capitol Tower) and Understory. This is located in downtown Houston, 800 Capitol St.

From Houston Business Journal, there is more in the slideshow attached to the article.
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/23/photos-newly-named-bank-of-america-tower-places.html

zKaqkEa.jpg

q4vRAfn.jpg

7,000 sq ft fitness facility at Bank of America Tower (previously Capitol Tower) in downtown Houston. 800 Capitol.
YUt5UMt.jpg

The Houston office of San Francisco-based Gensler designed the tower with the aim of offering employees areas where they could relax in between work. The first-floor rec area features foosball tables.
rnSmI1L.jpg

SkyPark
rGWHpIU.jpg

r8aazWz.jpg

• Like 9

Way too soon to say for sure but the food hall definitely has an office tower feel to it. Excited to see it completed.

• Like 1

this will be a nice food court with good options and a bar...

Really the only thing i see different is the fact there is a bar and it will have longer hours...

• Like 2

2 things...

1. Last night the crown was light red white and blue. Guess this thing changes colors.

2. Looks like they are adding a fancier stone around the concrete planter boxes... It will look a little more finished, but take even more inches out of the sidewalks.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

snoopyjoecoolcopy.jpg

^^^ @Triton i fully concur... cool indeed.  there is something very special about this particular downtown edifice.  it seems to harbor everything...

Edited by gclass
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Social media for Understory, food hall at Bank of America Tower in Houston, 800 Capitol launched this weekend.

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/understoryhtx

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/understoryhtx

Website for Bank of America Tower in downtown Houston, 800 Capitol (redirects to Capitol Tower for now)
http://bankofamericatowerhouston.com

• Like 4

Downtown 'Milam Art Wall' to rotate exhibits from Sawyer Yards artists

By Katherine Feser

Updated 5:30 pm CDT, Wednesday, May 29, 2019

• Jessica Phillips, Celan Bouillet, Leslie Gaworecki, Grace Zuniga, Falon Mihalic, Ami Mehta and Jessica Rice are some of the artists participating in Natural Abstraction, a new art installation in Understory at Bank of America Tower. Photo: JRoe Photography
Photo: JRoe Photography
IMAGE 1 OF 9
Jessica Phillips, Celan Bouillet, Leslie Gaworecki, Grace Zuniga, Falon Mihalic, Ami Mehta and Jessica Rice are some of the artists participating in Natural Abstraction, a new art installation in Understory at ... more

Skanska has partnered with Sawyer Yards, a creative community in the Arts District northwest of downtown, to provide rotating art installations to Understory, the 35,000-square-foot community hub and culinary market at downtown's Bank of America Tower.

"Our partnership with Sawyer Yards underscores Skanska's commitment to reimagining Houston's tunnel experience downtown," Matt Damborsky, executive vice president for Skanska USA Commercial Development, said in an announcement. "We are creating an engaging community destination that will reinvent the tunnel network in a way not seen before in its near 90-year history."

Grace Zuñiga, Sawyer Yards' creative director, will curate the inaugural installation, titled "Natural Abstraction." It will explore the human connection to natural environments and include the work of Celan Bouillet, Luisa Duarte, Leslie Gaworecki, Hedwige Jacobs, Ami Mehta, Falon Mihalic, ceramist Jessica Phillips and muralist Jessica Rice.

The exhibit will run from June 1 through Dec. 30. Every six months, the 100-foot glass wall lining Milam Street, known as the "Milam Art Wall," will feature work from Sawyer Yards artists curated by Zuñiga. Bank of America Tower occupies the block bounded by Capitol, Milam, Rusk and Travis.

The Sawyer Yards campus, on 55 acres northwest of downtown, provides workspaces for more than 350 local artists at renovated industrial buildings in Sabine Street Studios, Winter Street Studios, Spring Street Studios, Silver Street Studios, The Silos at Sawyer Yards and Summer Street Studios. It's near Sawyer Street, north of Washington Ave. and south of the Heights neighborhood, and hosts a market on the second Saturday each month.

RELATED: Sawyer Yards expands in Houston Art District

Bank of America Tower will open next month with Bank of America as the anchor tenant. Understory, designed by the Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, represents the first downtown tunnel venue that is visible from the street and open seven days a week. In addition to a food hall planned for seven concepts and a cocktail bar, Understory will provide gathering areas such as the 30-foot wide "Great Steps" for events and a gym for building tenants.

Skanska is the developer at owner of Bank of America Tower.

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Downtown-Milam-Art-Wall-to-rotate-exhibits-from-13901486.php

• Like 8

On 5/25/2019 at 9:53 PM, Triton said:

Very cool to see the changing colors.

47930514143_62e73dcf60_h.jpg

Downtown Houston by Marc longoria, on Flickr

47930517073_9a0b9418ac_h.jpg

Downtown Houston by Marc longoria, on Flickr

LIGHT-UP FEATURE!!!!

This feature commands a much stronger presence at night than 609 Main’s. Here’s hoping Hines adds something akin to the Salesforce Tower in SF’s light-up capabilities to the Texas Tower.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2019 at 7:42 PM, hindesky said:

Downtown 'Milam Art Wall' to rotate exhibits from Sawyer Yards artists

Skanska has partnered with Sawyer Yards, a creative community in the Arts District northwest of downtown, to provide rotating art installations to Understory, the 35,000-square-foot community hub and culinary market at downtown's Bank of America Tower.

"Our partnership with Sawyer Yards underscores Skanska's commitment to reimagining Houston's tunnel experience downtown," Matt Damborsky, executive vice president for Skanska USA Commercial Development, said in an announcement. "We are creating an engaging community destination that will reinvent the tunnel network in a way not seen before in its near 90-year history."

Grace Zuñiga, Sawyer Yards' creative director, will curate the inaugural installation, titled "Natural Abstraction." It will explore the human connection to natural environments and include the work of Celan Bouillet, Luisa Duarte, Leslie Gaworecki, Hedwige Jacobs, Ami Mehta, Falon Mihalic, ceramist Jessica Phillips and muralist Jessica Rice.

The exhibit will run from June 1 through Dec. 30. Every six months, the 100-foot glass wall lining Milam Street, known as the "Milam Art Wall," will feature work from Sawyer Yards artists curated by Zuñiga. Bank of America Tower occupies the block bounded by Capitol, Milam, Rusk and Travis.

...Bank of America Tower will open next month with Bank of America as the anchor tenant. Understory, designed by the Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, represents the first downtown tunnel venue that is visible from the street and open seven days a week. In addition to a food hall planned for seven concepts and a cocktail bar, Understory will provide gathering areas such as the 30-foot wide "Great Steps" for events and a gym for building tenants.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/bizfeed/article/Downtown-Milam-Art-Wall-to-rotate-exhibits-from-13901486.php

K5dmXNp.jpg

dO5ChQS.jpg

Photos of the Sawyer Yards art installation and completed construction of Bank of America Tower (previously Capitol Tower) and Understory. This is located in downtown Houston, 800 Capitol St.

From Falon Land Studio on Instagram:

Final polish for RAIN.  Handmade process: We painted the base layers with brushes and rollers, we hand cut the acrylic on a bandsaw, we hand sanded the edges, we spread the final pigment layers also by hand using our palms to apply the pigment into the wall, we made each sculpture by hand, we hand placed each piece. At the end, I feel that each step was like polishing a jewel. Taking an idea from sketch to reality often feels like turning a dusty rock into a shimmering gemstone. 💎 This piece is a permanent public art commission for Understory at the new Capitol Tower.
DzlYcqh.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxyVEWBJJE8/

The finished art installment of Rain:

0kD2P0q.jpg

More about Rain here:

Falon Mihalic was commissioned for a permanent public art installation for Understory at Capitol Tower in downtown Houston. The work, Rain, is an installation of a large scale painted water body with glistening rain drops. It’s created from layers of paint and pure pigment on a 20’ x 12’ wall. Acrylic sculptures welded from mirrored acrylic sheet create three dimensional prismatic water beads.
https://falonland.com/news1/understory-commissions

More photos of the art installation Rain:
https://falonland.com/rain

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Photos of the Sawyer Yards art installation and completed construction of Bank of America Tower (previously Capitol Tower) and Understory. This is located in downtown Houston, 800 Capitol St.

This is part of the Milam Art Wall in Understory.

From Falon Land Studio on Instagram:

Thank you to the Professional Art Installers and the building team for a successful install this week. Special thanks and shout out to curator Grace Zuñiga @gracezuniga7 for encouraging me to create a large scale paper work and figuring out how to mount and hang it! MOUNTAIN opens to the public Monday. Image shows the bottom third of the work- entire piece is 10’ tall. This work is through an invitation from the Sawyer Yards @sawyeryards in partnership with Skanska Development Corporation @skanskausa . Mountain hangs next to work by our very talented friends @celanbouillet and @ami_mehta_art 

2YqpLlf.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByIbUSgJCFY/

Lighting adjustments at night for the new @SawyerYardsinstallation on The Milam Wall @understoryhtx
dvloAFM.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByKZWDhnBPW/

gR0fg0E.jpg?1

From Falon Land Studio website:
Additionally, Falon was invited to be an inaugural artist for the Milam Art Wall with a 10’x8’ dyed paper work for the public entry of Understory.

https://falonland.com/news1/understory-commissions

• Like 6

On 6/3/2019 at 6:19 AM, Nate99 said:

It's kind of open, at least if you wander around from Pennzoil, there's nothing/no one to stop you continuing through the tunnel level. 

It looks really well done. In one mole person's opinion, it's the best looking bit of the tunnels by far.  

it's open from the Chase tower as well, I noticed yesterday when I came into the office.

maybe by the next time I'm in the office the tenants will be built out.

• Like 3