Grand Tower

lockmat

June 23rd Planning Commission tells about a "Grand Tower" development in keymap area 493J, which is bounded by Waugh/Heights blvd, Washington, Dallas and the Glenwood Cemetery. It looks like the NE corner of Montrose and Dallas is ripe for development, near the Bellaire Apts, hopefully. It would be great if this is actually a tower, but I can't find anything else online about it.

This project is by TBG Partners and Fenway Development.

I've long thought that corner was ripe for development, especially now with the improvements to the park across the street.

But more importantly, I'd like to see that part of Montrose repaved. It's probably one of the worst stretches of road inside the loop.

I've long thought that corner was ripe for development, especially now with the improvements to the park across the street.

But more importantly, I'd like to see that part of Montrose repaved. It's probably one of the worst stretches of road inside the loop.

That is a bold statement.

I think the NE corner is still owned by the Aga Khan Foundation (holding it as a tax free investment, imo). There are new fences in place just to the west of the new Whole Foods, so perhaps something will go there. When Finger originally ounced the Whole Foods, I think he also mentioned putting an apartment tower next to it, so perhaps that is what it will be . . .

I think the NE corner is still owned by the Aga Khan Foundation (holding it as a tax free investment, imo). There are new fences in place just to the west of the new Whole Foods, so perhaps something will go there. When Finger originally ounced the Whole Foods, I think he also mentioned putting an apartment tower next to it, so perhaps that is what it will be . . .

But Finger's is an apartment developer, I would think that they'd be listed as the "customer" if this was that project, or not necessarily?

The Chron's article (by Nancy Sarnoff) in 2008 mentions a "[possible] high-rise apartment tower" in that area:

Whole Foods Market plans to build a store between downtown and River Oaks as part of a 13-acre development that will include apartments and shops.

The Austin-based natural and organic grocery chain will lease the northeast corner of West Dallas and Waugh from the Finger Cos., the firms said Tuesday

Alongside the market, the Houston-based developer is preparing to build a six-story, 445-unit apartment complex on the property. Construction will start early next year.

"It's a great intersection," president and CEO Marvy Finger said. "It's very exciting."

Plans for the site, along West Dallas between Montrose and Waugh, call for additional retail space and possibly a high-rise residential tower.

Source: http://www.chron.com...te/5777804.html

Edit: I can never get the formatting right on quotes. /sigh

Edit2: Note that I don't have any information that this is a Finger development or that it's tied to the WF development. I'm simply pointing out that it might be, based on statements made in 2008.

I meant to say just to the east of the new Whole Foods. . . .

• 1 month later...

Archived