Does Houston Have The Tallest Hospital In The World?

Simbha

I was looking at some stats on hospital heights this weekend, and I noticed what I think are some inconsistencies across various websites.

The Wikipedia page for Guy's Tower in London indicates that it is the tallest hospital in the world (link) at 142.6m. Additionally, Emporis's listing for Guy's Tower (link) also states "This is the world's tallest hospital" in the notes.

However, Emporis also has a listing of the world's tallest hospitals (link) which shows the O'Quinn Medical Tower as the tallest, at 145m.

Also, the Methodist Outpatient Center is cited as being 512 ft (156m) here and Emporis shows the Memorial Hermann Tower at I-10 and the Beltway at 152.4m (link).

Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza appears to be about 131m, so that would seem to be out of the running - although I thought it was comparable in height to the top of the St. Luke spires and the top of the Methodist Outpatient Center.

So, am I wrong to think that Houston has several 'tallest hospitals in the world'? Does anyone know of any taller ones?

• Like 1

Seems to depend largely on what you deem the "top" of a structure. Comes down to the constant roof vs. spire debate. The roof of Guy's Tower (which doesn't have a spire) is higher than the roof of the O'Quinn Tower, but the spire of the O'Quinn Tower is higher than the roof of Guy's Tower.

But the other two you mentioned have me wondering. Why aren't they mentioned at all on any of these lists?

Seems to depend largely on what you deem the "top" of a structure. Comes down to the constant roof vs. spire debate. The roof of Guy's Tower (which doesn't have a spire) is higher than the roof of the O'Quinn Tower, but the spire of the O'Quinn Tower is higher than the roof of Guy's Tower.

But the other two you mentioned have me wondering. Why aren't they mentioned at all on any of these lists?

Fair points, which I had thought too. Like you, I don't understand why the others don't appear on these lists (at least somewhere)...

• 2 weeks later...

Fair points, which I had thought too. Like you, I don't understand why the others don't appear on these lists (at least somewhere)...

Emporis isn't exactly a reliable source of information. Almost all of it comes from "volunteers" and virtually none of it is fact-checked.

As for the Singapore hospital, I've photographed nearly every skyscraper in Singapore and don't remember any of them being hospitals. Maybe you're thinking of Tokyo. According to HAIF's sister site, Tokyo Architecture Info, there is a twin-towered hospital there, called Saint Luke's, which is 51-stories. That would make it at least 156 meters, and likely much taller (according to a hospital developer I heard speak a couple of weeks ago, hospitals like to have a minimum floor height of 14 feet to handle special ducts and such).

• Like 1

Emporis isn't exactly a reliable source of information. Almost all of it comes from "volunteers" and virtually none of it is fact-checked.

As for the Singapore hospital, I've photographed nearly every skyscraper in Singapore and don't remember any of them being hospitals. Maybe you're thinking of Tokyo. According to HAIF's sister site, Tokyo Architecture Info, there is a twin-towered hospital there, called Saint Luke's, which is 51-stories. That would make it at least 156 meters, and likely much taller (according to a hospital developer I heard speak a couple of weeks ago, hospitals like to have a minimum floor height of 14 feet to handle special ducts and such).

Thanks for this. It's not an official source or anything but the first posting in this SkyscraperCity thread - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=39045 - seems to indicate that St. Luke's is primarily a residence for nurses and senior citizens (patients). While the latter receive care, it doesn't appear to be what I'd consider a hospital in and of itself. Additionally, the description provided through that link states that seven floors of the building is occupied by a hotel.

Again, as pointed out above, it appears that identifying a tower as the tallest (anything including) hospital is a somewhat sketchy notion that requires definition first. I appreciate your pointing out the St. Luke's Garden, though - just another building of which I had no clue.

According to Wikipedia, the St. Lukes Tower in Tokyo is 47 stories -- 221 meters tall (and calling it "twin-towered" is a bit misleading... there are two towers, but they are at best fraternal twins, with one's growth having been severely stunted... a mere 146 meters tall). As Simbha also reported above, neither of the buildings are hospital buildings. The shorter is residential. The taller is commercial office space (and I don't mean medical offices).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Does Houston Have The Tallest Hospital In The World?
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Great topic.

So, in 2023 will TMC contain the tallest (hospital) in the world? Houston Methodist's Centennial Tower is pretty tall. Supposed to be 500 feet+

Is it? I thought it was only going to be like 25-26 stories and not done until 2027? 

• Like 1