HAIF User Rank Icons

Simbha

After 4 years of officially being a member and six years of browsing the forums, I finally reached the rank of Post Office (100 posts). w00t!

As I was looking at my newly earned badge, I realized that I didn't recognize the post office in the picture. It appears to be downtown, but it doesn't look like either the current DT PO or the old one which is now the US customs office. So, I started looking at the other badges and realized I didn't recognize many of the buildings/places.

There's a separate, but closed, thread that shows all the icons of HAIF here, but doesn't indicate which images are what: http://www.houstonar...anks-and-icons/. Perhaps the reason this isn't listed anywhere I can find is because I'm the only one who can't figure them out on my own...

Below, I've listed what I can figure out so far; I'd be appreciative if someone could fill in the blanks.

• Public Park (0) - ___________
  • Parking Lot (5) - ___________
  • Billboard (10) - ___________
  • Bridge (15) - ___________
  • Drive-Through (25) - ___________
  • Strip Mall (35) - ___________
  • Single-Family House (75) - ___________
  • Post Office (100) - ___________
  • Parking Garage (150) - ___________
  • Museum (200) - MFAH
  • Low Rise (300) - Harris County Family Law Center
  • Theater (400) - ___________
  • Theatre (500) - Hobby Center for the Performing Arts
  • Condominium (600) - Warwick Towers
  • Convention Center (700) - George R. Brown Convention Center
  • Mid Rise (800) - 1801 Main St
  • Stadium (900) - Toyota Center
  • Freeway Interchange (1000) - ___________
  • Hospital (1100) - Memorial Hermann Hospital (TMC)
  • University (1200) - UH
  • Factory (1300) - ___________
  • Lighthouse (1500) - ___________
  • Hotel (2000) - The old Days Inn downtown (Might I suggest this be changed? laugh.gif)
  • High Rise (3000) - Harris County Civil Courts
  • Ferris Wheel (4000) - ___________
  • Neo-Classical Skyscraper (5000) - Niels Esperson Building

Post Office (100) is the downtown building bordered by Rusk, San Jacinto, Capitol, and Caroline. According to Google maps, there's a post office in it.

Parking Garage (150) is One City Centre, at 1021 Main, downtown. Bounded by Fannin, Lamar, Main, and McKinney.

Freeway interchange (1000) is the northern I-10/I-45 interchange north of downtown.

Factory (1300) honestly to me looks more like steam coming out of chilling towers than like a factory.

A few that were left out:

Subscriber is a picture of the top of the Wells Fargo building.

Moderator is a cop car with HAIF photo shopped onto it.

Administrator is Heritage Plaza.

Brown Stripey Skyscraper (10,000+?): Badge_BrownStripeySkyscraper.png No idea.

Post Office (100) is the downtown building bordered by Rusk, San Jacinto, Capitol, and Caroline. According to Google maps, there's a post office in it.

Parking Garage (150) is One City Centre, at 1021 Main, downtown. Bounded by Fannin, Lamar, Main, and McKinney.

Freeway interchange (1000) is the northern I-10/I-45 interchange north of downtown.

Factory (1300) honestly to me looks more like steam coming out of chilling towers than like a factory.

I think that Brown Stripey Skyscraper is the Mickey Leland Federal Building on Smith Street downtown.

Thanks for these. I don't recall the 'post office' building you mention, so I'll probably check it out this weekend. And, I agree that Factory looks more like chilling towers. blink.gif

And, thanks for pointing these out. I went by the list on Editor's sticky and didn't even think about what might be missing.

I think that Brown Stripey Skyscraper is the Mickey Leland Federal Building on Smith Street downtown.

Yes, it is!

• 2 months later...

Public Park I think is the police officer's memorial.

Parking lot is just a random parking lot on the southeast side of downtown.

Billboard was a KRIV billboard that I HAIFed over.

Bridge -- I think this is actually in Minneapolis, because I didn't have anything girder-y from Houston.

Drive-through: This is the Chase Houston Main Motor Bank, at 212 Milam. There was talk about tearing this down years ago, it might be gone now. Here's what it used to look like: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/Building/2758/Chase-Houston-Main-Motor-Bank.php

Strip Mall - I don't remember. Maybe something down by NASA?

Single-Family House is the Arthur B. Cohn House, near the GRB.

Theater - I'm pretty sure this is the RIver Oaks Theater

Factory - You're right, this is actually the Northwind Chilling Station on Rusk. It looks more like a factory than most factories.

Lighthouse - I think this is one of the decorative ones on Clear Lake.

Ferris Wheel - This is in Chicago. I think at the time I made the badges, the one at the Aquarium hadn't been completed yet.

There remain four as-yet-unreached levels on HAIF.

• 2 years later...

Seems like an odd way of "marking" member milestones.  I think the MFAH build (whichever one it is) is in a higher realm than "White Stripy Skyscraper" or the family law center, or the convention center.

It's not about the realm or quality or importance of the building, it's about the building's height.

You used to get one foot for every post you made.  It was fine in the beginning of HAIF, but may have outgrown its usefulness now that we have people with tens of thousands of posts.  

Still, it's a nice way to recognize new members as they grow and become full members of the HAIF community.

Ah.  Because I was a tad dismayed when my picture went from a Neo-Classical Museum to the City Hall Annex.

I'll just be pleased that I'm more interweb savy than when the forum started.  I can now post pictures, quote people and the like!  Happy as a clam in a deep tidal pool on a cold December day.

Archived