Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

• 2 weeks later...

The Maharishi Global Development Fund, which owns the 30-story building that's been vacant since the late 1990s, said it is trying to sell it.

"It's a good market right now," said David Humphreys, director of property management for the nonprofit group. "Something will happen soon."

same old tale...oh well, you never know.

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Work being done on the exterior of downtown's abandoned Days Inn building last week had some people wondering whether the property was finally being redeveloped.

Maybe she's referring to HAIF. Where else do people wonder about these things? ^_^

• 1 month later...
The Mahareshi foundation has the property up for sale.

We did our due dilligence on this property back in May of this year and it had structural issues that made in unfeasible for us. We contemplated a complete tear down but it didn't make sense for the area that it is in. We're now accumulating parking lots for our project and getting revenue while we complete our acquisitions.

We did our due dilligence on this property back in May of this year and it had structural issues that made in unfeasible for us. We contemplated a complete tear down but it didn't make sense for the area that it is in. We're now accumulating parking lots for our project and getting revenue while we complete our acquisitions.

Welcome, NY. So it sounds like this building isn't likely to be reused in the near future. It isn't often that we hear about larger buildings like that having structural issues. I've wondered what will eventually happen to the world's skyscrapers as they become ancient.

Are you able to hint at what your project will be like?

We're now accumulating parking lots for our project and getting revenue while we complete our acquisitions.

Now that's intriguing...

On the topic of the hotel for a second, I'd always been curious about the structural stability of the building. What were the issues in particular that emphasized this? I know vandalism has come up as a point for those that have seen it from the inside, but is there also just a lot of natural wear and tear that can't be reconciled?

We did our due dilligence on this property back in May of this year and it had structural issues that made in unfeasible for us

In that case it sounds like it'll be town down at some point, the question is now who is going to buy it and pay for the demolition. Too bad it can't be redeveloped.

The project sounds interesting to me as well. There are a lot of empty lots in Houston to buy up. What sort of project are you working on?

welcome to the forum nycapvest. btw, casually mentioning a large project to this forum and not providing details will be considered "cruel and unusual" torture to some who frequent here.

Yeap. One thing that is amazing about Houston is the number of major buildings that have stood vacant for decades: this one (Holiday Inn), Central Sq, Savoy, Sheraton, Melrose, etc. A lot of the vacancies date from the bust of the 1980s.

I'm still surprised at another on that's at least 20 stories and on the eastern tip of the old proposed Shamrock Tower site at Main & Fannin. The Sterling Building, I think. Older than each of the others you mentioned (with exception to one of the Savoy buildings) as well. Always curious about that one.

Anyway back on topic...

The thought of that building having a prime spot in the fore of someone's view coming in from 527 or any of the streets inbound is depressing. Especially if it's going to be there for an extended period of time. Who knows? In the interim, I always try to approach DT without having to point that one out. Makes me feel better for a moment at least.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

Yeap. One thing that is amazing about Houston is the number of major buildings that have stood vacant for decades: this one (Holiday Inn), Central Sq, Savoy, Sheraton, Melrose, etc. A lot of the vacancies date from the bust of the 1980s.

Speaking of the Savoy, I just ran across this little tidbit (which I don't think has been reported here before; if it has I apologize):

"The Savoy Hotel, located in the heart of the CBD, is under contract by an undisclosed buyer for $7 million. Expectations are for a condominium renovation."

(Quoted from Stream Realty's report)

I was talking to an Otis elevator sales rep. yesterday and he said he was preparing a quote to redo the elevators of the old Days Inn. According to him the developer was going to expand the footprint of the building and turn it into high dollar lofts. Can anyone else confirm this rumor?

welcome to the forum nycapvest. btw, casually mentioning a large project to this forum and not providing details will be considered "cruel and unusual" torture to some who frequent here.
I apologize. We're working with some individuals from Canada that are seeking to develop mixed use (retail/residential) in downtown. I can't name companies yet, but Houston downtown's major hurdle to accelerated development is really the lack of people living there. Once the residential takes hold, the CBD should see accelerated growth much like Downtown Dallas has experienced. If you go to Dallas, you see nothing but cranes everywhere.Don't know if you are aware, but there is an Omni hotel coming into the old Sheraton-Lincoln. There might be a glut of hotels in downtown soon, but it would be nice to see a condo-hotel open to add some more residential in the mix.
I was talking to an Otis elevator sales rep. yesterday and he said he was preparing a quote to redo the elevators of the old Days Inn. According to him the developer was going to expand the footprint of the building and turn it into high dollar lofts. Can anyone else confirm this rumor?
Now that would be an interesting project. I'd be curious how the developer expands the footprint. Perhaps teardown the garage and build new?

Once the residential takes hold, the CBD should see accelerated growth much like Downtown Dallas has experienced. If you go to Dallas, you see nothing but cranes everywhere.

Last time i checked , Dallas and Houston downtown resident population was about the same. Just because Dallas has more cranes doesn't mean more residents. Alot of what they're doing is overbuilding their office space in the Uptown/Victory areas at the cost of the CBD.

I've been reading this section today, my interest on a building I've seen several times got the best of me ;)

I've see this building every since I moved to Houston... looks to be vacant (for a LONG time)..

I believe the building was around 45 on the Pierce Elevated... looked to be between 20 t0 30 stories tall, typical tan exterior... in SERIOUS disrepair...

what building is/was that? whats the status on it? I've been trying to find a picture of it via Google maps, so far no luck...

sorry about being so vague...

MadNess :)

I've been reading this section today, my interest on a building I've seen several times got the best of me ;)

I've see this building every since I moved to Houston... looks to be vacant (for a LONG time)..

I believe the building was around 45 on the Pierce Elevated... looked to be between 20 t0 30 stories tall, typical tan exterior... in SERIOUS disrepair...

what building is/was that? whats the status on it? I've been trying to find a picture of it via Google maps, so far no luck...

sorry about being so vague...

MadNess :)

I think you may be talking about the old Holiday Inn, which later became the Days Inn and most recently the Heaven on Earth Inn.

There's a whole thread on it here.