Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

But the deal DID go through. According to HCAD and Harris County Clerk's records, Landco bought the property from the Maharishi in 2004 and Landco still owns the property. One customarily conducts due diligence before recording the deed ;-) I suppose it could be possible that the deal came unwound afterwards, but no reversion to the Maharishi appears in the county records yet...

Is nobody else here the least bit curious about the Maharishi advertising to sell property he does not appear to own?

But the deal DID go through. According to HCAD and Harris County Clerk's records, Landco bought the property from the Maharishi in 2004 and Landco still owns the property. One customarily conducts due diligence before recording the deed ;-) I suppose it could be possible that the deal came unwound afterwards, but no reversion to the Maharishi appears in the county records yet...

Is nobody else here the least bit curious about the Maharishi advertising to sell property he does not appear to own?

Think seller financing. That may be where the confusion is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The old Savoy should probably be razed, I don't see the feasibility in making condos out of it. The location is poor for balcony views, the renovation and improvement costs would be difficult to recoup, and overall it's economic value as a residential or short-term lodging has expired.

I just noticed the last posting date. Don't know if anything's been done to it since.

The old Savoy should probably be razed, I don't see the feasibility in making condos out of it. The location is poor for balcony views, the renovation and improvement costs would be difficult to recoup, and overall it's economic value as a residential or short-term lodging has expired.

I just noticed the last posting date. Don't know if anything's been done to it since.

nope, the savoy is pretty much as-is. the garage is in use, however, and the older building (the original apartment hotel) is about to keel over (reinforcements have been added).

Cool, thanks. Perhaps the site would be viable for a parking garage or something, don't really know.

Overall the "revitialization" of downtown to me seems like a mixed bag, Minute Maid park and Toyota Center were good ideas but the high-rise lofts and other residential projects seems like a bad idea. With some of the units selling for mid-$150K+ for openers, I think the prices are too high for a young urban type who'd actually want a downtown pad, and an older professional who works downtown who could afford one probably wouldn't want to live downtown - prefering a single-family house in the 'burbs instead.

In the 24+ years I've lived in H-town the downtown area to me seemed the least desirable place to consider living. Even with the night life infusion and other revitialization efforts in place, the county jail is still there and degenerates continue to roam the streets. The situation might improve in the future; but aside from being within walking distance to Minute Maid, Toyota Center and other popular night-life spots I don't see any other upsides.

That's just my $0.02. Some of you architect types or real estate pros might disagree with me, because there's things I don't understand about those respective businesses that apparently this makes good business sense to bankers/investors.

There are at least 3-4 old hotels on the south end of downtown that need to be torn down. Not too long ago the Days Inn in question here, belonged to Mahrishi Yoyo whatever. It was supposed to be some kind of vegan, transendental crash pad.

• 4 weeks later...
There are at least 3-4 old hotels on the south end of downtown that need to be torn down. Not too long ago the Days Inn in question here, belonged to Mahrishi Yoyo whatever. It was supposed to be some kind of vegan, transendental crash pad.

Sometime in the very early 90s, the world famous Maharishi Mahesh Yogi bought that delapidated Day's Inn just north of the Pierce Elevated. The story at the time was that he was going to turn it into an international center for the study of transcendental meditation. Nothing ever came of those plans. This is the same Yogi who was so beloved of the Beatles and other celebrity devotees of Hinduism and LSD back in the 60s and 70s.

• 4 weeks later...
Prior to being a Days Inn, the building was a Holiday Inn. I used to live at 2016 Main when it was still functioning as a Holiday Inn and it was maintained pretty well. That was in the early 80's and then the oil bust hit.

The checkered colors look great, better than the grafitti on it before.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
In short, Landco did buy it with seller financing and did recently give it back to the Marharishis. The building does have its problems with structural integrity, but perhaps the prior owners did as well.

so does Marharish really have this building now?

Thanks

Kash

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm...I swear I saw some scaffolding around the bottom of this monstrosity this morning on the way in for work. It may have been there for months, or maybe they're just painting the garage for all I know...or maybe they're trying to protect pedestrians from falling debris, lol. But anyone know what's going on there?

Hmmm...I swear I saw some scaffolding around the bottom of this monstrosity this morning on the way in for work. It may have been there for months, or maybe they're just painting the garage for all I know...or maybe they're trying to protect pedestrians from falling debris, lol. But anyone know what's going on there?

Can't beleive that blasted hideous mess is still there. Another embarassment to DT skyline. Our bus passed it each day and you always wanted to turn away from it. For years the rain and wind and birds went in and out of all the broken windows. You could see curtains shredded flapping around and some book cases leaning on walls. Could have double for a disaster film. Irwin Allen would be proud of this beaut. It had to be the most perfect hotel for birds in the world. Nuke time.

This building was ugly as soon as they broke ground...

I think I last saw the *Hell on Earth Inn* about two weeks or so ago. It did look like the interiors were much more empty and stripped out than I typically recall. I want to pull every demolition crew out of the Old Sixth Ward and put them at 801 Cal...er, St. Joseph. Then maybe we'll see progress.

Even another surface lot in the place of this building would be better than having to look at this thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i moved a couple posts from another thread to this one - just above yours.

i think the canopy is just for safety

You know, this is just pitiful. Do nothing about the building, but construct a pedestrian protection barrier since we know that the building is a piece of junk. Is think how to get around safety codes? Is that what an absentee landowner should do to a slum property--just build a gate around it so no one gets in?

Why don't they just tear it down? The scaffolding make sit even more of an eyesore than it already is.

I wonder if there are any homeless people living in there? I loved that article in the Houston press about people living in and having parties in some of the abandoned buildings downtown. Was this the one they talked about? Anybody have a link to that article?