Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Probably.

Wouldn't the value go up if it was gone though?

I am surprised they never put the parking garage into service(after the hotel closed), even when the Maharishis owned it. Parking space seems to be a fairly easy money maker downtown. If anything it might have been enough to cover the taxes on it.

• 5 months later...

I saw three or four people walking around the upper levels of the parking structure portion of the building today. They looked to be of the worker persuasion as opposed to the trespasser persuasion. Let's hope this is a sign that this project is coming back to life.

I saw three or four people walking around the upper levels of the parking structure portion of the building today. They looked to be of the worker persuasion as opposed to the trespasser persuasion. Let's hope this is a sign that this project is coming back to life.

just saw several workers at a side entrance on the ground level. And by workers I means couple of dudes in hard hats.

• 2 months later...

Went by today looks like they are putting some primer on the garage portion of the structure. Also has a banner on one side for "public garage".... Guess there going to try to get some money out of the property... Though not sure who is going to park there.. It's kind of far out on the out skirts of downtown. ... Any one else know anything about it...I personaly would like to see the whole thing re developed. Mabey re clad the hotel portion in cool blue glass and face the garage portion in a metal sheath. Could even go as far as to expand the garage portion to take over the entire block to provide amble meeting/event space .

Yeah, I saw the banner for the first time a few days ago, but I kept forgetting to post about it.

I was wondering about who'd park there as well.

Ohwell, as long as they make a little cash I'm sure than its better than having a money pit (tower?).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Update from Swamplot:

Updated task list for the investor group that bought the dilapidated and long-vacant Heaven on Earth Plaza Hotel at 801 St. Joseph Pkwy. at Travis St. Downtown 3 years ago: 1) Pay off $4.2 million mortgage on property; 2) work way out of bankruptcy (declared just last week, to avoid foreclosure); 3) close on $22 million construction loan to redevelop the 31-story former Holiday Inn (and later Days Inn) into an “as economy class as possible” hotel.

http://swamplot.com/digging-out-from-heaven-on-earth/2011-08-04/

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Normally I'm opposed to tearing down buildings and replacing them with surface parking, but in this case, I'd be willing to make an exception.

So would this be a literal example of "pave Paradise and put up a parking lot."  ??

• Like 1

They now have a water pipe burst somewhere on the 3rd storey of the garage that has been leaking for about 3 days now. You can hear it when your walking about the base of the bldg.

I would not have thought that they would still have water pressure serving the building.