Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Wow...it'll be amazing to walk by without the stench of that perpetually flooded basement-level parking garage. I'm pretty sure something has to be living in there by this point... I'll also miss the painted "Hotel" :)

I am glad they are fixing it up. The front of it has been a urinal for the homeless for a few years now. Onm a real hot day the smell can be overpowering.

Absolutely. But not only that. The building has also had occasional trouble with pieces of the fascia's panelling falling to the ground. They've not had the area roped off in months but for a while there it was constantly roped off.

And I agree about Central Plaza. I am also still hopefull of a remake of the old Savoy Houston.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

• 6 months later...
So is work still being done on this building? I haven't really heard anything or noticed anything being done when I drive by.

They are still working (very slowly). They are still removing the asbestos. I saw decontamination showers and tons of bags of contaminated waste(asbestos). Most of the carpet, furniture has already been removed. It looks like they have a lot of work to do. The lobby is still full of huge piles of trash. I've also seen workers throwing trash out the window during the daytime.

They are still working (very slowly). They are still removing the asbestos. I saw decontamination showers and tons of bags of contaminated waste(asbestos). Most of the carpet, furniture has already been removed. It looks like they have a lot of work to do. The lobby is still full of huge piles of trash. I've also seen workers throwing trash out the window during the daytime.

If they are in the midst of asbestos abatement are you really sure you want to be walking around there?

It is a difficult process. I think you pretty much have to get rid of everything except the frame and floor slabs.

I wear a P100 rated respirator and take the appropriate safety precautions to be as safe as possible. The areas where they are removing the material is totally sealed off and I stayed out of there . Asbestos won't stop me though. Nothing can compare to the feeling of looking out over the city from the roof of a 30 story building. Plus as a kid I used to drive by the Days Inn and always wondered what was inside. I had to see for myself. I'll post some more pics later

Looking forward to additional pictures. And I understand, urban exploration is a lot of fun!

• 3 months later...

Hey, long time first time.

Any updates on this? I work downtown and can see this building from my office. Needless to say I am VERY eager for something to happen with it. During my lunch break I walked by the building and it looked as though there was zero activity. I did see a bulldozer parked in a loading dock, but that's it. I don't think I've seen anything remotely resembling activity since I started working downtown (january 2009)

Hey, long time first time.

Any updates on this? I work downtown and can see this building from my office. Needless to say I am VERY eager for something to happen with it. During my lunch break I walked by the building and it looked as though there was zero activity. I did see a bulldozer parked in a loading dock, but that's it. I don't think I've seen anything remotely resembling activity since I started working downtown (january 2009)

I live nearby and am also interested in the status of this project. It seems like the project is dead as there has been no activity is many months.

What happened to the pictures posted by secretsquirrel? I would love to see what the inside of this place looks like

Your screen name is my new all time favorite on the internet. With the possible exception of a dude I spied on a national economics forum who calls himself 'manwhich'.

Welcome to the HAIF!

Your screen name is my new all time favorite on the internet. With the possible exception of a dude I spied on a national economics forum who calls himself 'manwhich'.

Welcome to the HAIF!

LOL, thanks!

I have actually been snooping around on the forum for quite some time, this was my first post. It was actually this building that caused me to stumble on to the site. I was sitting in the parking lot (summer 2007) on the northside of this building, staring in amazement of such a huge structure being completely abandoned. Then i noticed on about the 8th floor, some guy wearing shorts and no shirt, pulling wiring out of the wall and coiling it up!

• 4 months later...