Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Another problem with the building is it has 8 foot ceilings which reduces the condo value. Typically you want 9' at least as you can sell small condos that feel more spacious due to higher ceilings. 10' is of course a plus. With 8 ft ceilings as a developer it reduces the per sq ft you can get from potential buyers. There are tricks like giving ceiling to floor windows, etc to try to give the feeling of height

• 6 months later...

Holiday/Heaven on Earth Inn actually sold about 3 weeks ago according to David Humphreys who represents the Maharishi!

David told me the new owner planned to reopen it as a hotel!

Maybe a new building or atleast a monster renovation is coming :)

Well, I hope you're right, but excuse me if I'm skeptical until I see that new hotel actually open.

trust me, I agree with you on the place reopening... however, the sell is a real deal... I was looking into the building for a project when I found that info out ;)

Finally! That is great news.

Mad, since the deal you were working on fell through, can you give us a hint as to what type of project you were looking at it for i.e. basically just want to know if it was condo based or hotel based, just curious.

Edited by jayshoota

trust me, I agree with you on the place reopening... however, the sell is a real deal... I was looking into the building for a project when I found that info out ;)

Any published, reputable sources?

Wow - about time. That might give some hope to other buildings in similar situations (Savoy, Century, Texaco, and so on).

But yeah, I won't truly believe anything about redevelopment until I see it happen.

Holiday/Heaven on Earth Inn actually sold about 3 weeks ago according to David Humphreys who represents the Maharishi!

David told me the new owner planned to reopen it as a hotel!

Maybe a new building or atleast a monster renovation is coming :)

which building is this? the abandoned one in south downtown?

At this point, an implosion would be a positive alternative should the deal fall through.

I saw a large red construction dumpster in the parking garage level last week, which would seem to lend some credibility to this thread.

Anyone know if the size of the rooms are up to today's standards and would be worthy of renovating?

I suppose room sizes can be at least somewhat flexible. Somehow though I had the impression that the ceiling heights were not up to "today's standards". That is why the old William Penn hotel was torn down. Somehow people must have all suddenly grown taller.

I suppose room sizes can be at least somewhat flexible. Somehow though I had the impression that the ceiling heights were not up to "today's standards". That is why the old William Penn hotel was torn down. Somehow people must have all suddenly grown taller.

Actually, they have.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/healthcare/a/tallbutfat.htm

Fatter, too. ;)

wow, your site is a great source. I'll have to check it out more often.

I always thought it was occupied at once growing up, b/c I had memories of it not looking so bad.

Anyone know if the size of the rooms are up to today's standards and would be worthy of renovating?

Thanks - I do what i can :)

I have a brochure of this hotel from the late seventies/early eighties but I need to locate the scans...

i guess the eyesore is in the eye of the beholder.

Well, it wasn't a bad building when it was new and I like that wall on the south side.

Maybe if that wall faced the freeway it wouldn't look so bad. But....what can you do?

It's just kind of embarrassing to have that kind of highly visible blight right there next to the gleaming CBD but I guess that stuff happens.

That's got to be from at least the mid-80s because there's Hakeem Olajuwon in a Rockets uniform on the brochure showing different attractions (Hakeem represented the Summit)

Hopefully this might be the start of something good on the south side of Downtown.

That's got to be from at least the mid-80s because there's Hakeem Olajuwon in a Rockets uniform on the brochure showing different attractions (Hakeem represented the Summit)

Hopefully this might be the start of something good on the south side of Downtown.

There was definitely more work going on this afternoon at the Holiday Inn. Has anyone figured who bought it yet?

I can't find any permits issued for that address yet (or the surrounding three streets or any address number on those four blocks). So either they are brand brand new, doing work that doesn't require a permit, or doing it without permits.

Is there anything posted on the walls/windows?

The only other ones were from last September when the sidewalk canopy was worked on, and one for demolition of non load-bearing/non fire-rated walls (which would be the ones in the garage).