Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

FWIW, the other morning I was coming up Travis and noticed a worker or someone walking around the base - that entrance was open as well, I believe.  It didn't seem like that big of a deal at the time (considering we have seen "workers" there before) but maybe something really is happening.  No idea what the guy was doing, though

When I was by I noticed workers as well in the garage section.  Looked like some sort of plumbing/sewerage work since there was water flowing out.  

A Sheraton would be great, but after so many false alarms on this one I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.  

With everything slowing down right now, I guess the best chance this building has is a hotel. It would be nice if they could polish it off with a creative design for residential, like the Wolfe rendering we saw a few years ago...

I always thought this would work for apartment-like housing for seniors.  

• Like 2

I'm more interested to know how it will effect that planned convention center hotel on top of the GHP building. We'll probably have a 7-10 story office building/garage for awhile I presume..

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

I always thought this would work for apartment-like housing for seniors.

What about micro-apartment/studios for people who can't quite afford the base rents at the new luxury towers or just don't want all the added amenities/expense? Micro apts seem to be popular in bigger/more urban settings.

• Like 3

What about micro-apartment/studios for people who can't quite afford the base rents at the new luxury towers or just don't want all the added amenities/expense? Micro apts seem to be popular in bigger/more urban settings.

That's actually a good idea. Some real affordable housing. How many hotel rooms does this thing have? But the real deal would be getting a kitchenette in each unit, if there would be space. It wouldn't have to be adorned in quartz counter tops with reclaimed wood floors, stainless steel appliances, just with functioning ones and inexpensive details.

I'm sure they already have a laundry room space. Plus a pool and gym space. What would you charge for a studio?

• Like 1

I'm more interested to know how it will effect that planned convention center hotel on top of the GHP building. We'll probably have a 7-10 story office building/garage for awhile I presume..

There's quite a few projects that could fizzle out. Aloft has two other projects (including that really awesome one in Sugarland), there's the GRB hotel, Hotel ZaZa off of I-10, the midtown hotel proposed by the firm that's part of JR Central, etc.
  • Like 1

That's actually a good idea. Some real affordable housing. How many hotel rooms does this thing have? But the real deal would be getting a kitchenette in each unit, if there would be space. It wouldn't have to be adorned in quartz counter tops with reclaimed wood floors, stainless steel appliances, just with functioning ones and inexpensive details.

I'm sure they already have a laundry room space. Plus a pool and gym space. What would you charge for a studio?

I'm sure if they could get the price point in at $999/mo for a super simple apartment (hotel room, with a mini fridge under a counter with a sink piped in from the bathroom) they would have a bunch of takers.  An efficiency over at Houston House was going for $1060/mo base 2 years ago (not sure what it would be now)

From the Arch-ive pictures posted the rooms looked smaller than a typical standard Holiday Inn. Maybe it was just an optical illusion (from a tiny picture) but it sure felt that way. Of course, hotel-to-residential conversions usually gut and make the units larger at the expense of the total numbers.

thanks. my thoughts exactly.. right now downtowns housing boom is a welcome addition to creating the 24/7 neighborhood we all want it to be, but living downtown isn't exactly something attainable for most people. micro-apartments seem to be a solution. if you want to have the local amenities and conveniences of living downtown but can't afford the $1500+ rents at the new apartments then this would give you an option of sacrificing some living space to still enjoy the downtown lifestyle.

according to some random link i found, there are 600 rooms (at least, when it was Heaven on Earth). I'm not sure what the square footage would break down to for each room, but yeah.. if you could squeeze a kitchenette in each unit that would be ideal.

thanks. my thoughts exactly.. right now downtowns housing boom is a welcome addition to creating the 24/7 neighborhood we all want it to be, but living downtown isn't exactly something attainable for most people. micro-apartments seem to be a solution. if you want to have the local amenities and conveniences of living downtown but can't afford the $1500+ rents at the new apartments then this would give you an option of sacrificing some living space to still enjoy the downtown lifestyle.

according to some random link i found, there are 600 rooms (at least, when it was Heaven on Earth). I'm not sure what the square footage would break down to for each room, but yeah.. if you could squeeze a kitchenette in each unit that would be ideal.

The 600 room figure was from when the hotel was a Holiday Inn, and was never changed (the following hotels never did substantial renovations, which was why the hotel deteriorated). By the time Holiday Inn sold to Days, they weren't able to fill half of them, so the Days Inn only operated with about 300 rooms. The Masharashi hotel incarnations were never able to even break 25% occupancy, if I recall correctly.

Edited by IronTiger
  • Like 1

I dig the concept of a minimal renovation for affordable (in the market sense, no need for subsidies) units. Just to give an idea of how cheap and easy that renovation could be, these drop-in fridge/sink/stove units retail for about $1250- I'm sure less when you buy 600:

post-12156-0-80269600-1443293762_thumb.j

• Like 6

I've seen a lot more people in this building over the last year than in any time before. Mostly thrill seekers but one Saturday morning last summer I saw what appeared to be a building tour with a group of men in business suits pacing about on top of the garage podium. Anecdotal but it seems to show that owners have opened it up to redevelopment.

As far as the water situation goes, for a couple weeks they (the couple of guys who show up every morning and "clean up") were using hoses from the garage out to the street gutter in what can only be described as flooding the sidewalk. No clue as to whether that was waste water or not. And not that these two events are related, but the city had several small crews and a large crew last weekend under Travis from St. Joseph down to Gray for a couple weeks after the sidewalk floodings. Today I also found out that there's a major water leak in downtown so who knows how long this has been going on. 

• Like 2

There's quite a few projects that could fizzle out. Aloft has two other projects (including that really awesome one in Sugarland), there's the GRB hotel, Hotel ZaZa off of I-10, the midtown hotel proposed by the firm that's part of JR Central, etc.

The ZaZa has a groundbreaking scheduled. This weekend, if I'm not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

Love everything about it. Even the giant unnecessary logo at the entrance. Even the garage looks great. You can tell they're are playing off the original design (and era), with the color choices. The roof feature is funky too. Fingers crossed. If when this happens, how many buildings are left Downtown that are abandonded? 

This looks amazing! Would be wonderful rehab of the building.

I wish the HCHA was actually working on this, mixed/affordable housing in Downtown.

So what does this mean?  It's actually going to happen, or it was just a study done?