MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Holiday / Days / Heaven On Earth Inn (801 Calhoun)

On 6/4/2018 at 0:15 PM, terra002 said:

I checked on friday, they had tomatillos.

Ok back on subject, what is the news with this building.  Residiential is great for this area.  

I have an idea. Wash it all down, invite people people to spray it, like the factory just off 45 to the south, and then when every part of it is covered with whatever the artists' want, then glass facade it up. It'd be a great historical object. 

Why not get Christo to wrap it, as an artwork.

Monolith to the twentieth century excess.

The entire building should just have murals on it.That would look pretty sweet. Either way I hope they don't tear it down. Abandoned or not we still needs as many buildings as possible in the city.

8 hours ago, Elseed said:

The entire building should just have murals on it.That would look pretty sweet. Either way I hope they don't tear it down. Abandoned or not we still needs as many buildings as possible in the city.

Insteadc the put the multistory sky dancers on another building. 

I’d be down for letting the building become Houston’s version of 5 Pointz or Graffiti Park. Let Gonzo247 & other local artists go wild with the entire building as their canvas. 

Edited by tigereye

Posted (edited)

Turn it into a giant climbing structure?!  Would be pretty neat I assume for rock climbers?  All the while it would provide for a use while the economics of either demolishing it, or renovating becomes favorable.  Besides 2 working elevators (not sure code would allow just 1?), and some minimal restrooms/lockers, you’d be able to maybe carve out some parkour areas too?  Within the lower floors?

Edited by arche_757

On 4/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, htownbro said:

any news on this dreadful building 

There's new graffiti on the Northern side of it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2019 at 12:02 PM, cspwal said:

There's new graffiti on the Northern side of it

yTmtsPz.jpg

• Like 2

With all of the rain this Spring, they've been pumping water out of the garage entrance on Main almost every day. I wonder how bad the structure is with all of that water. It can't be a good thing.

Clearly the building still isn't secured maybe they need some more COH violations to force a sale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw a water hose pumping water out of it this morning while biking up Travis St.

How is this not on the yearly list of eyesores needing to be demolished by the COH? If they're pumping water every time it rains, the structure has to be dangerous to the public. I guess we have to wait for something bad to happen to a pedestrian before the city will do anything. 

34 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I guess we have to wait for something bad to happen to a pedestrian before the city will do anything. 

or someone driving by

• Like 1

In this context, is "REMUV" really graffiti?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, mollusk said:

In this context, is "REMUV" really graffiti?

It would be great if "REMUV" was on the drawings for a demolition contract. 😊 I've wondered for sometime if this thread should be merged with the 801 St. Joseph Parkway thread in Crater Houston Alliance. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Edited by Specwriter
additional comment

That's encouraging, though I did see some Hare Krishna downtown last week, so don't get your hopes up. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Triton said:

We have to rest our heads somewhere when we're not busy killing industries. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm very excited about this. I thought the building would fall down before anything was done. Still need to close and get financing for whatever is next, but hope springs eternal.

I'm not terribly impressed.

my understanding is that under contract means that there's someone out there who's willing to drop some money to 'get a good look under the skirt' and see exactly how much investment will have to be made before they can start making money.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, samagon said:

my understanding is that under contract means that there's someone out there who's willing to drop some money to 'get a good look under the skirt' and see exactly how much investment will have to be made before they can start making money.

True. They might also buy it and just sit on it for years. Nobody knows. Its why on the map I always put "Potential Development". The potential is there, but its not if its likely or unlikely.

19 hours ago, samagon said:

I think much of this is done before a property goes under contract.

This entire building should just be filled with murals, inside and out. That would be an awesome site to see.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Elseed said:

This entire building should just be filled with murals, inside and out. That would be an awesome site to see.

My dream for this building has always been to strip it to its concrete, knock out some walls, add creative stairs and ramps throughout, beef up the elevators and/or put glass elevators on the sides, and turn it into a gallery/exhibit/event space/vertical graffiti park. Restyle the garage and add ground floor amenities and you could have a hot spot that generates some revenue at least

• Like 1

My dream has been for a meteor to crash into it at 3:00 am when no one is around and it all tumbles down into a very neat pile. No gets hurt. No traffic blocked.  Don't really expect that to happen, but heck, one can dream.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3