Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Take a breath, for a sec. The article is not saying that this group is redoing "801 Calhoun". It's just saying that the building behind them in the picture is to be redone. But, who, exactly, is this information coming from? It's not clear. Hopefully it is a true scoop. But until a developer/owner/contractor/hotel brand/etc. makes an announcement...it's just a rumor.

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere that it takes hundreds of years for a steal concrete structure to deteriorate.

Take a breath, for a sec. The article is not saying that this group is redoing "801 Calhoun". It's just saying that the building behind them in the picture is to be redone. But, who, exactly, is this information coming from? It's not clear. Hopefully it is a true scoop. But until a developer/owner/contractor/hotel brand/etc. makes an announcement...it's just a rumor.

I agree, but I am hoping and praying.

FWIW, the other morning I was coming up Travis and noticed a worker or someone walking around the base - that entrance was open as well, I believe.  It didn't seem like that big of a deal at the time (considering we have seen "workers" there before) but maybe something really is happening.  No idea what the guy was doing, though

This would be quite something.

Let's meet up for beers in the lobby bar opening day.

Haven't heard of St. Joseph's Parkway referred to as Calhoun in quite some time.

I was going to say this. I guess Biznow is living in Houston's past!

according to this thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/3250-was-this-street-renamed/

from that thread, it was 1997 that they changed the name.

801 Calhoun

I just checked my calendar and since it's not April Fools - this is the most exciting post I have ever done.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/office/behind-the-scenes-at-central-square-plazas-redevelopment-50075?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

:D

Here’s the team on the top floor, which has a very high ceiling and the ability to build an outdoor patio. (Right behind the quartet is another blighted building that’s about to be redone—801 Calhoun is being redone as a Sheraton.)

can't wait to hear more! thanks for the link..

kind of a bummer they're reserving the rooftop patio for an executive office, it would of made for a cool SkyBar.

Edited by cloud713

I had always pegged this building for the wrecking ball. I'm glad either way, but watching a building implosion is on my bucket list

With everything slowing down right now, I guess the best chance this building has is a hotel. It would be nice if they could polish it off with a creative design for residential, like the Wolfe rendering we saw a few years ago...