Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I would not have thought that they would still have water pressure serving the building. 

You'd be surprised to know that a lot of the old abandoned buildings downtown still have power too. I just recently learned the old Battlestein's building does and some lights throughout are on all the time.

Edited by djrage
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Abandoned properties that attract vagrants and an abundance of surface parking lots have hindered development in a section of southeastern downtown, a study released Thursday concluded.

Good thing that a study was completed to determine that. I never would have suspected that could be possible.

• 2 months later...

On contemporary pictures of the building, I've seen the curved outline of what looks like where it had the Days Inn Hotel sign. Did it have anything else after it ceased being a Days Hotel?

I vaguely recall the Days Inn sunburst logo sign being turned white with the words "Heaven on Earth" rounding the curve and "Inn" at the bottom.

Not sure when that finally disappeared though.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was playing around with the SkyHouse Houston webcam, going back and forth at the archived snapshots taken during construction and I noticed in the background that the Days Inn Hotel is now virtually empty from any interior walls.  I attached a snapshot taken today at 5:26 pm:

post-12867-0-06457900-1393037862_thumb.p

If you go back starting from around January 14 around the same time (on sunny days) you can start noticing this, since the Savoy Hotel is blocking the view to the lower levels.  Has the activity at the site and the carrying out of debris been unnoticeable all this time?  So is this building going down soon?  With explosives?  I sure hope so, that would be one quick improvement to southern downtown.

Edit:  Correction, I knew this was going on (as well as some of you did too) due to earlier posts but I figured since no one was adding any updates, that meant the gutting of the building had stopped.

Edited by democide
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...