Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I can't find any permits issued for that address yet (or the surrounding three streets or any address number on those four blocks). So either they are brand brand new, doing work that doesn't require a permit, or doing it without permits.

Is there anything posted on the walls/windows?

The only other ones were from last September when the sidewalk canopy was worked on, and one for demolition of non load-bearing/non fire-rated walls (which would be the ones in the garage).

Yesterday, it looked like they were doing something with the electrical service panels on the western most side of the parking garage portion of the building. There were several workers wandering around when I drove by.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as lofts may be the IN thing to wish for in downtown, it seems as if hotel rooms are both more desirable and more profitable. Besides, at this point, is there anyone out there that wouldn't take a 30 story mattress store and cell phone superstore, just to get SOMETHING in there?

Downtown is in desperate need of a lower-priced national brand hotel. The Holiday Inn Express is very isolated and quite small. The Best Western is on the other side of the Pierce Elevated. La Quinta has announced a new project but there is definitely room for another lower type brand.

Could we see a Hampton Inn, Drury Inn, etc... in that space?

I hope so!

Could we see a Hampton Inn, Drury Inn, etc... in that space?

I hope so!

I'm not a huge fan of the building aesthetically - even spruced up it's just too big and kills a great view of the skyline behind it looking from the SW on the ground - and wouldn't be so hurt to see it come down. But if they can get it in shape (that could actually be cheaper nowadays) and price the rooms right I think this project can succeed. There are some nice views up there and it's still just a block away from the rail while also being accessible to Midtown. It's preservation, FWIW.

Now that it looks like something is happening with this, if it succeeds it gives hope to some other older DT buildings (including hotels) that need a little TLC....what if, say, having a new rail line along Texas spurs interest in bringing the Ben Milam back to life?

I'm not a huge fan of the building aesthetically - even spruced up it's just too big and kills a great view of the skyline behind it looking from the SW on the ground - and wouldn't be so hurt to see it come down. But if they can get it in shape (that could actually be cheaper nowadays) and price the rooms right I think this project can succeed. There are some nice views up there and it's still just a block away from the rail while also being accessible to Midtown. It's preservation, FWIW.

Now that it looks like something is happening with this, if it succeeds it gives hope to some other older DT buildings (including hotels) that need a little TLC....what if, say, having a new rail line along Texas spurs interest in bringing the Ben Milam back to life?

IMO I rather see it come down too...it blocks the DT view from the south...(being picky here)...Condos would be nice...but as always will be overpriced.

Edited by CHiPs

You can see the abandoned hotel on the left side. Let's hope they do something with it soon.

daysinnao5.jpg

SOLD!!!!! To "New Era Hospitality" about a month ago. I've never heard of them, but it sounds like a hotel company to me. There's a story on Swamplot about it. I know I'm sick of looking at that ugly thing! It was previously owned by the Maharishi Mahesh YOGI people and was called Heaven on Earth Inn and that didn't work out and was shortly run as Downtown Plaza Hotel. I'm guessing that's when they sent a guy up with a paint brush and a bucket of black paint to paint HOTEL on top. Have you ever heard of "yogi flyers". Check it out on youtube sometime for a good laugh. One down-2 to go for my neighborhood abandoned buidings. Now someone needs to buy Central Bank at Travis and Gray. I'm sick of looking at that ugly thing too!

"Saw ugly building, don't know name"

This is my favorite thread title ever. Well, in the year I've been here. It just really sums up the HAIF, and Houston. In a good way.

Where else would this online exchange about the old Days Inn happen, with people that actually care?

• 2 weeks later...

The development group that bought the shuttered Days Inn hotel on the southern end of downtown said it will spend up to $50 million converting the dilapidated structure into another hotel.

New Era Hospitality, a group of doctors and entrepreneurs that bought the building in May, is negotiating with three hotel companies to brand the property.

But demolition has already started on the interiors, which are being gutted and will be replaced with 340 modern suites, 60 standard guest rooms, 32,000 square feet of meeting space and a swimming pool and bar on top of the attached garage.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/5872453.html

Looks like it's a GO! While it is ONLY going to be 400 rooms, it should be interesting on what happens in this hotel. My only problem with it is that it is relatively isolated from the rest of downtown, except by rail.

Isolated? Whatever. It's only 2 blocks from the Petroleum Club!!

Kidding, I agree with you. A funny thing though --when I looked at Google Earth I realized it is about 7 blocks to the Pavillions, and about 7 blocks to Cyclone Anaya's in Midtown. I realize the average hotel guest in Houston is not going to want to walk either of those, but I found it interesting that you could go either way. The Pierce Elevated acts as such a physical and mental barrier that I never would have thought about walking to Midtown until I looked on the map.

I am just really psyched to see this thing get cleaned up, and keeping my fingers crossed.

I think as that area fills-in, 7 blocks won't seem like such a trek anymore. I personally had hoped to see lofts here, but if a budget franchise 2 star hotel, or boutique 3 star can occupy this space, then a success is a success.

I wonder if it would be possible to knock out floors, to open up some of the upper floors, creating 20 foot ceilings for penthouse suites?

Edited by Jeebus

Isolated? Whatever. It's only 2 blocks from the Petroleum Club!!

Kidding, I agree with you. A funny thing though --when I looked at Google Earth I realized it is about 7 blocks to the Pavillions, and about 7 blocks to Cyclone Anaya's in Midtown. I realize the average hotel guest in Houston is not going to want to walk either of those, but I found it interesting that you could go either way. The Pierce Elevated acts as such a physical and mental barrier that I never would have thought about walking to Midtown until I looked on the map.

7 blocks? why would they do that when they can do lone star!

7 blocks? why would they do that when they can do lone star!

Eliminate the 7 blocks with...REV Houston!!!

http://revhouston.com/

Looks to me that if REV Houston uses advertisements for funding, this new hotel group should pitch in big time--win win for the guests, the hotel, and REV, IMO.

Then again, that's if REV sticks around long enough.

Eliminate the 7 blocks with...REV Houston!!!

http://revhouston.com/

Looks to me that if REV Houston uses advertisements for funding, this new hotel group should pitch in big time--win win for the guests, the hotel, and REV, IMO.

Then again, that's if REV sticks around long enough.

Just saw the story about REV today. Very cool!

Details came over from one of Cap'n Crunch's friends who lives in the Heights; I asume he's talking about white linen nights. Commentary I found interesting:

I just read about this as a possible addition to a big retail festival

night planned for the Heights in August. I assume they used the GEM

because it has two rows of seats. Further research revealed that REV

is trying to make money by selling ad space, while the drivers live

off the tips, and the electricity is donated by a business.

For what it's worth, I saw a worker tossing junk/debris out of a window today. There's also a wooden structure that's been placed inside the parking garage on the north side, where another worker was standing. Needless to say, I was very excited to see something going on there!

Edited by GovernorAggie

For what it's worth, I saw a worker tossing junk/debris out of a window today. There's also a wooden structure that's been placed inside the parking garage on the north side, where another worker was standing. Needless to say, I was very excited to see something going on there!

Just curious, has anyone noticed that there are more ads for "Days Inn" on HAIF lately?

Coincidence? :ph34r:

Yeah, I think the chron article from yesterday mentioned that they've been working on the inside already.

Be still my heart. It's hard to believe something is actually happening after all these years to Houston's most prominent eyesore!