Feral Cats In Houston

• 2 weeks later...

at Baba Yega's this afternoon, there was quite a bit of talk about feral cats-- apparently it's really smelly to walk down Grant towards the restaurant. One of the questions raised . . . . . . . where will all of those armstrong cats go when their abode ( Mrs. Felix's old house as well as the 2 houses behind on Crocker) are torn down for parking (for Uchi's) . . . . . . . . . ?

I have walked by the house featured in KHOU news and also the old El Felix "mom" house on Grant. I wouldn't say these are just 2 or 3 dozen stray or lost cats.

The smell is horrible. The sounds at night are horrible. The opened cans of cat food draw huge numbers of flies. The heat putrifies what ever is left over. The trays of dry food also draw flies and worse.

Many of the cats have crusted eyes maybe from an illness? A few look like they were injured, but not healing, open sores and flies crawling all over them. Most of them forage into the occupied yards homes that are close--many of us have 10 foot stockade fences. It doesn't stop them. They bring fleas. They fight with the domesticated cats. They leave fecal deposits on patios. You find where they have killed birds. They ravage your garden. I don't want them in my back yard. I don't want them in my front yard.

The person that feeds them----doesn't live in the house he feeds them at--he doesn't even live on that street.

Houston Animal control says the solution is trap and neuter. The neighborhood does attempt to do that. My next door neighbor and I do that. It's a difficult process.

The city says fixing the problem begins with fixing the cats.

Or getting over the thought of a meal having fluffy in it.

If these people have seen this person do it, why not follow that person home, then start trucking the cats over to their residence after they get them neutered.

I have walked by the house featured in KHOU news and also the old El Felix "mom" house on Grant. I wouldn't say these are just 2 or 3 dozen stray or lost cats.

The smell is horrible. The sounds at night are horrible. The opened cans of cat food draw huge numbers of flies. The heat putrifies what ever is left over. The trays of dry food also draw flies and worse.

Many of the cats have crusted eyes maybe from an illness? A few look like they were injured, but not healing, open sores and flies crawling all over them. Most of them forage into the occupied yards homes that are close--many of us have 10 foot stockade fences. It doesn't stop them. They bring fleas. They fight with the domesticated cats. They leave fecal deposits on patios. You find where they have killed birds. They ravage your garden. I don't want them in my back yard. I don't want them in my front yard.

The person that feeds them----doesn't live in the house he feeds them at--he doesn't even live on that street.

Houston Animal control says the solution is trap and neuter. The neighborhood does attempt to do that. My next door neighbor and I do that. It's a difficult process.

GaROSS! Feral, indeed. I had no idea the problem is so severe.

The ones that hate the feral cats the most are the real cat owners that take care of their felines. They cannot let them out into their backyards without getting attacked by some diseased stray.

There is no such things as cat owners, merely cat servants. No doubt, master does not like the other cats because they are perceived as rivals for food or sex. Just because your cat has successfully domesticated you as its own, however, does not make your cat superior to the other cats or in any way more deserving of special consideration.

There is no such things as cat owners, merely cat servants. No doubt, master does not like the other cats because they are perceived as rivals for food or sex. Just because your cat has successfully domesticated you as its own, however, does not make your cat superior to the other cats or in any way more deserving of special consideration.

Actually I hate cats and glad I live in a predominately dog neighborhood. But I do know people that do own cats and they are responsible pet owners that actually care for their pets. Obviously they have been domesticated by their cats to love and care for them. Fools.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When we took my dog in to vet today complaining about the increase of feral cats and the fleas they left in our yeards-- we were told a "feeder" of those cats had begun to humanely trap them and give them shots, neuter and other health treatments--

I have new respect for this person and am wholly grateful for these efforts

• 4 months later...

The two houses at the end of Avondale, on Crocker have been gutted. Looks like they're set for demo. Anyway, I saw the "Cat-Feeding Man" in the grocery store over the weekend. Of course, he was buying cat food. I was going to ask him what's going on with those two properties, but did not. I suspect he owns them. I'm guessing they'll convert the land into a parking lot. The houses already back up to the old Felix lot.

Yes----

those houses are owned by the cat feeding man--- yes they have been gutted and most likely will be razed for parking.

A few years ago--around the time Avondale was about to be100 years old and was trying to get Historic designation. . . . . . . I was told that someone offered to purchase one of those houses with the intention of restoring it---but the houses could only be bought as package ie all of them together. It's a bit sad that those little houses couldn't have been saved.

• 5 months later...

One of the cat house has been demolished and they hauled it off today. It's the one to the right. Maybe they'll do the other one next. I'm still thinking that they'll extend parking all the way through to Grant.

Archived