Help Make Our Neighborhood More Appealing

I am curious about this, as there isn't a lot of information available on the petition site, and there aren't links to any other information.

As one of the ideas of this is to reduce the available lanes of traffic, where would the cars go that normally travel on Navigation when it becomes congested as a result of reduced lanes of traffic?

How far east would this extend on Navigation?

Why no dedicated bicycle lanes?

Is the theory, if we build it, they will come, or are there businesses lined up to get in on the action once this is completed?

I am curious about this, as there isn't a lot of information available on the petition site, and there aren't links to any other information.

As one of the ideas of this is to reduce the available lanes of traffic, where would the cars go that normally travel on Navigation when it becomes congested as a result of reduced lanes of traffic?

How far east would this extend on Navigation?

Why no dedicated bicycle lanes?

Is the theory, if we build it, they will come, or are there businesses lined up to get in on the action once this is completed?

You know now that I think of it... could this be some kind of scam?

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure survey monkey is a paid type deal.

However, in my opinion, online petitions are worthless in and of themselves, and I would never sign one (or on the rare occasion I do, I just put in random information, which in and of itself ruins the petition data, so I am really not helping anyway).

If they are serious, they can have people go door to door with a petition, or allow people to sign a real petition somewhere.

Anyway, it appears that this is legit, in so far as there is a vision from the Greater East End Management district.

http://www.greaterea...m?a=cms,c,115,6

they don't have a link to the survey monkey petition, but do have a PDF you can download and send back...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nope, not a scam. This is a petition put out by the Greater East End Management District (GEEMD) to support their Livable Centers plan.

Congestion won't really be an issue. Navigation traffic is about 7,500 cars per day -- which is almost nothing. By comparison, Montrose has about 35,000. (City of Houston traffic counts are here.) With 7,500 vehicles per day, you could easily do one lane in each direction without any noticeable congestion.

The GEEMD wants to reduce the traffic lanes to provide a wider sidewalk, bike lanes, and parking lanes. They will be starting up a major traffic study with H-GAC in the next couple of months to quantify the traffic impacts to justify the roadway changes. However, most of these changes require political will, because they will go against City standards that more-or-less outlaw urban development. Political will can be swayed by a loud group of voters, and that's where this petition comes in. It's just a component of the larger strategy to redefine development in the East End.

The GEEMD has a link to this petition on their homepage. Look underneath "New Navigation Boulevard."

Nope, not a scam. This is a petition put out by the Greater East End Management District (GEEMD) to support their Livable Centers plan.

Congestion won't really be an issue. Navigation traffic is about 7,500 cars per day -- which is almost nothing. By comparison, Montrose has about 35,000. (City of Houston traffic counts are here.) With 7,500 vehicles per day, you could easily do one lane in each direction without any noticeable congestion.

The GEEMD wants to reduce the traffic lanes to provide a wider sidewalk, bike lanes, and parking lanes. They will be starting up a major traffic study with H-GAC in the next couple of months to quantify the traffic impacts to justify the roadway changes. However, most of these changes require political will, because they will go against City standards that more-or-less outlaw urban development. Political will can be swayed by a loud group of voters, and that's where this petition comes in. It's just a component of the larger strategy to redefine development in the East End.

The GEEMD has a link to this petition on their homepage. Look underneath "New Navigation Boulevard."

I realise that I'm likely to be in the minority, but I'd prefer to see Navigation become a more high-speed corridor with grade separations at major intersections, similar to Allen Parkway. Harrisburg is what will be slow and pedestrian-friendly, Canal and Polk offer narrow alternatives cutting through neighborhoods that should remain slow and pedestrian-friendly. Aside from the portion that crosses through Central Park neighborhood, Navigation is a very wide thoroughfare that forms a general boundary between neighborhoods and commercial properties. There are no high-speed east/west alternatives for miles. Navigation should be that alternative, a collector that draws traffic away from neighborhood streets.

Yeah, see. I told you that you wouldn't like it.

I tend to agree with Niche. Harrisburg is the natural high street through the east end. Navigation has the room to be an artery and is the more natural boundary between the water, its industry, and the neighborhood. It would be helpful to have something other than the gulf freeway for quicker direct access to downtown, and especially the other freeways.

They could always just tear up the Navigation ROW and put in the extension of the La Porte freeway.

: Waits for rotten vegetables and other foodstuff projectiles to be angrily hurled:

No, just kidding.

From a cursory glance at the satellite imagery from google maps it seems to make more sense from a ROW acquisition perspective to use Navigation because most of the work would occur within the land already maintained by the city or txdot. Canal is too narrow, and so is Harrisburg. Even if you were to acquire land for improving Harrisburg the cost may be a much larger portion of the budget than desirable. Of course, they may have to acquire land anyway, so it might not be that big of a deal.

• The title was changed to Help Make Our Neighborhood More Appealing

Archived