Broadstone West Dallas: Multifamily At 1616 W. Dallas St.

infinite_jim

From my window I have noticed over the past month that a couple of double storey warehouses have been cleared on what looks like two separate parcels along Gillette St. north of Dallas St.

I'll post pics later tonight.

Anyone with info, please post up.

If I'm not mistaken, that was a former Centerpoint Energy facility sold to apartment developers some number of years back. I wouldn't be surprised if its back in play.

That was further west on W Dallas, at the northeast corner of Montrose. Was known as 'The Underground' when HL&P owned it, and was the center of streetlight repair division.

• 4 months later...

Hi, there are now TWO cleared sites at this corner and I'm wondering if anyone has additional info.

1. The first one that we all know about is the NE corner of W. Dallas and Gillete. This is the land owned by the city that is for sale (or sold? not sure), and stretches from West Dallas to San Felipe Park.

2. The second one is he NW corner of W. Dallas and Gillete. It used to be some sort of academy or school and I remember lots of "summer camps" here. This site was begun to be cleared about one to two weeks ago. Does anyone know what is going on here?

• 2 weeks later...

NW corner of W. Dallas and Gillete will be apartments.

http://www.multifamilybiz.com/PR/870/Alliance_Residential_Breaks_Ground_in_Houston

HOUSTON, TX Alliance Residential Company commenced construction on Broadstone West Dallas, a 246-unit apartment complex located in central Houston. Alliance closed on the land and broke ground in October, with initial lease-up slated to begin in the fourth quarter of 2012. Final completion is expected the second quarter of 2013.

The four-story development will be located at the intersection of West Dallas and Gillette streets, less than one mile west of the city’s central business district. West Dallas serves as a major east-to-west thoroughfare leading into the downtown area, which will allow the new community to enjoy high visibility and provide residents rapid access to midtown entertainment, employment, retail and dining opportunities.

Alliance intends to incorporate an impressive array of lifestyle amenities at Broadstone West Dallas, highlighted by a 5,000-square-foot clubhouse featuring a demonstration kitchen, massage room and iCafé. The community also will feature a large swimming pool, outdoor cooking facilities, standalone fitness center, central courtyard and separate park area.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

need for it? I'm generally the first person to advocate for street-level retail, but that seems like really odd wording even to me.

Dallas is *not* a major retail street, and it's in such an ...incoherent part of town that I'm not sure it makes sense to talk about retail as a "need." As ...whatever we want to call the part of Montrose north of Gray continues to develop retail along dallas might make sense, but i think residential development has to happen first t provide a consistent customer base.

They should use the approach Milhaus is going to use for their new midtown development. Build out the first floor to hold commercial tenants, but use it for the complexes leasing offices, gym, etc. for now.

I think there are plenty of residents in the area to support some retail--this will be the third huge apartment complex on Dallas, plus the Bellaire and all the town homes and duplexes in the area. I think we won't see retail on Dallas though because (1) the area is already very walkable--the Post area of midtown, West Gray near Taft, and Montrose are all easible walkable; and (2) having that part of Allen Parkway to the north limits the market growing even more for retail stores in that area. Just my two cents.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Broadstone West Dallas: Multifamily At 1616 W. Dallas St.

Archived