Sign in to follow this  
editor

Police Officer Killed on North Loop; Suspect Arrested

Charges Filed in HPD Officer's Death at 101 North Loop East

Charges have been filed against a suspect arrested in a traffic accident that killed an on-duty Houston police officer at 101 North Loop East (North Interstate Highway 610 East) about 3:45 a.m. today (May 29).

The suspect, Johoan Rodriguez (H/m, DOB: 4-13-85), is charged with intoxication manslaughter of a peace officer, felony evading in a motor vehicle and possession of a controlled substance in the 183rd State District Court. A photo of suspect Rodriguez (with injuries sustained in the accident) is attached to this news release.

Officer Kevin S. Will, 38, was pronounced dead at the scene. Officer Will, who was sworn in as an officer in Sept. 2009, was assigned to the Vehicular Crimes Division. A photo of Officer Will is attached to this news release.

HPD Vehicular Crimes Division Sergeant D. Usher and Officer C. Hall reported:

Officer Will was on duty, conducting an investigation on a previous accident on the 610 North Loop near Yale when Rodriguez, driving a silver Volkswagen Beetle, passed through a police barricade blocking the freeway. Officers pursued the Volkswagon but, before it could be stopped, the vehicle fatally struck Officer Will. Rodriguez was taken into custody at the scene and then transported to Ben Taub General Hospital where he was treated for minor injuries.

Officer Will is survived by his wife and two children.

Officer Will:

post-1-0-07033200-1306703466_thumb.jpg

Johoan Rodriguez:

post-1-0-45343600-1306703467_thumb.jpg

I guess no one wants to touch the illegal angle. Don't want to offend anyone, right?

I guess no one wants to touch the illegal angle. Don't want to offend anyone, right?

Is he here illegally? I didn't see that noted in the HPD release. Was it stated in the newspapers or television?

Is he here illegally? I didn't see that noted in the HPD release. Was it stated in the newspapers or television?

Yes he is, but the way I say it, it has nothing to do with his being charged.

The point is that people drink and drive too often in this city.

• Like 1

He was deported twice already... Amazing that he even has a TX drivers license. WOW!!!

And if I understand this correctly, the most he can get is life in prison? Yet a citizen could get death? Amazing...

Edited by LTAWACS

He was deported twice already... Amazing that he even has a TX drivers license. WOW!!!

And if I understand this correctly, the most he can get is life in prison? Yet a citizen could get death? Amazing...

He's being charged with manslaughter. I believe the death penalty only applies to capital murder charges.

(But I agree it's a waste of tax payer money to not kill the SOB)

My condolences to the officer's family.

Fringe is right about the death penalty. For that matter, I have kind of a problem with the death penalty applying to any auto accident, regardless of the circumstances.

Fringe is right about the death penalty. For that matter, I have kind of a problem with the death penalty applying to any auto accident, regardless of the circumstances.

Would you have a problem with someone getting drunk then accidently shooting someone with a gun? Pretty much the same difference in my opinion. Someone intoxicated doing something they shouldn't be doing while intoxicated, affecting another party with death.

As for the illegal angle, I'm all for a program to convert what we've got here, but only after a wall, with a moat, and alligators, and sharpshooters, and whatever else that smart ass President so wisely suggested during his recent trip to Texas is built or installed so that we may finally take control of this epidemic. It's all a joke to people like him, he'll never understand death and tragedy - which is so painfully ironic given his elected position.

Edited by Jeebus

Red will have an opinion on this, but I have always believed that if you are over a certain blood alcohol level and get into a car, you are show blatant disregard for the lives of others and should be penalized appropriately. I don't think Manslaughter is harsh enough, but I doubt capital murder is justified either.

Murder by apathy?

Would you have a problem with someone getting drunk then accidently shooting someone with a gun? Pretty much the same difference in my opinion. Someone intoxicated doing something they shouldn't be doing while intoxicated, affecting another party with death.

I have a problem with calling that first-degree murder instead of intoxication manslaughter, yes. I agree that Red will clarify if he wants to but there are some pretty stringent tests to be met to reach the threshold of first-degree murder. I think if the state can't prove intent to kill it's not first-degree murder.

I understand that someone could commit murder using a vehicle as a weapon. But the whole reason that the offense of manslaughter exists is to punish accidental or negligent, but not deliberate, deaths.

Normally I would cut a drunk a little slack. I'll be the first to admit I've gotten behind the wheel in the past when I was probably "legally" intoxicated. But only my reactions were impaired. I have never been so inebriated that I would go around a barrier and drive into a bunch of flashing red lights and run over a person. He was not just a drunk, he was a stupid drunk and I'm one of those people that believe in "thinning the herd". But I know it will never happen.

That's not a capital crime either. The requirements for the death penalty are fairly high.

I seem to recall that Mexico gets pretty bitchy when its nationals are up on death penalty charges in the US. If convicted, they try to get them extradited to Mexico to serve a life sentence, instead.

And from Fark:

They called him "Illegal". That's going to upset some of our liberals.

He is an "undocumented" killer.

I seem to recall that Mexico gets pretty bitchy when its nationals are up on death penalty charges in the US. If convicted, they try to get them extradited to Mexico to serve a life sentence, instead.

And from Fark:

Texas has never stopped an execution due to the defendant being a foreign citizen, though several countries, including Mexico, have complained. This offense, however, is in no way a capital offense. There is a list of crimes that are capital offenses, all of which involve intentional murder. There is no intent in manslaughter. But, fear not. After this turd finishes serving his 5-99 year Texas prison sentence, he will then be turned over to the Feds, who will almost certainly max him out at 20 years in federal confinement, before finally shipping his butt back to Mexico, or El Salvador, as the case may be. Also, he will be required to serve at least half of his state prison sentence and roughly 83% of his federal one. He will likely serve close to 45 years before getting deported. He's done.

While my condolences go out to this officer's family, and all of HPD, it pains me to see that the punishment for a drunk hitting a police officer standing on a highway is 5-99 years, yet the drunk woman who launched her Camaro into the toll road worker...who also stands on a highway for a living...last week is only eligible for 2-20 years. I don't want this to be perceived as disparaging of the police, but a realization that all of those who serve the public should be protected.

Note to Marmer: This case is still Intoxication Manslaughter, but the punishment goes to 1st degree because a police officer is the victim. It did not become murder, only the punishment increased.

Edited by RedScare

Texas has never stopped an execution due to the defendant being a foreign citizen, though several countries, including Mexico, have complained. This offense, however, is in no way a capital offense. There is a list of crimes that are capital offenses, all of which involve intentional murder. There is no intent in manslaughter. But, fear not. After this turd finishes serving his 5-99 year Texas prison sentence, he will then be turned over to the Feds, who will almost certainly max him out at 20 years in federal confinement, before finally shipping his butt back to Mexico, or El Salvador, as the case may be. Also, he will be required to serve at least half of his state prison sentence and roughly 83% of his federal one. He will likely serve close to 45 years before getting deported. He's done.

While my condolences go out to this officer's family, and all of HPD, it pains me to see that the punishment for a drunk hitting a police officer standing on a highway is 5-99 years, yet the drunk woman who launched her Camaro into the toll road worker...who also stands on a highway for a living...last week is only eligible for 2-20 years. I don't want this to be perceived as disparaging of the police, but a realization that all of those who serve the public should be protected.

Note to Marmer: This case is still Intoxication Manslaughter, but the punishment goes to 1st degree because a police officer is the victim. It did not become murder, only the punishment increased.

Thank you. I know that he couldn't get the death penalty for what he did. It was just frustrating to see a family man die over something so stupid. Something, that in my opinion, would have never even happened, had he been kept out of the country in the first place. I know there are good "hard working" illegals, but all I keep seeing are examples of the bad.