Are commericals believable

trymahjong

maybe others got this in email or saw it in NYTimes--it must have cost a kazillion--maybe it works but. . . . . . . . . the cyber skeptic in me asks--how much should i believe?

<http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/04/bach_wooden_staircase.html >

I doubt if it would have cost THAT much. I am rather curious as to how long that ramp was. If you have musical ability and some minor engineering resources, it can be done.

I think it's a badge of honor for some ad agencies to be able to pull off the crazy unbelievable commercial like that.

I think ones such as this one are obviously real in that they are not CGI; it is a real physical instrument that probably took months to design and build, and it's really in the woods. The more important question for these kind of commercial/videos usually is it really done in one take like it appears to be. They pull away from the instrument to show an extended pan of the woods at one point.. that might be for a reason. Or it might not. I think the answer to that question usually doesn't detract from the commercial.

The famous Honda "Cog" commercial is both real and the final product is the result of one take.

The Rube Goldberg machine in OKGO's "

" video is real.. But even though it is apparently one single camera take, there are actually at least 2 cuts in the video.

Does that make it less real or less impressive? Not in my book.

And if you wanna know approx cost of your kazzillion dollar video... this music video took about 6 months and $90,000 to produce.

OkGo's "

" is really one continuous shot, though using multiple cameras, over a span of 18 hrs + 8 days.

Point is... because anything can be done with CGI and look 100% believable, sometimes the WOW factor is better achieved by not using CGI..... so don't be so skeptical all the time.

The famous Honda "Cog" commercial is both real and the final product is the

No, this is not real. The forces of friction and gravity would have had to have been selectively modified over the course of the shot. And what was with that platform of speakers?

No, this is not real. The forces of friction and gravity would have had to have been selectively modified over the course of the shot. And what was with that platform of speakers?

I was wrong... it was two takes spliced together by CGI due to studio size constraints.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "Its not real".. are you saying the whole thing is CGI.. parts are CGI? part are aided with invisible wire ?

You don't know what you are talking about. And if you are referring to the

when you say selective gravity.. It

BTW.. this whole making of "Cog" video is not real also.

[...] I am rather curious as to how long that ramp was. [...]

Here are my (rather suspect) numbers on this:

At the beginning, when the ball first drops onto the similar-looking ledges (at about :44), it takes approximately 7 seconds for it to travel what I counted as 25 steps. The ball in the person's hand makes it appear to me to be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and so I estimate each ledge is about 4" wide. So, the ball traveled about 100" in 7 seconds. The ball rolls for about 120 seconds. So...

120 seconds/7 seconds per 100" is roughly 143 feet.

No doubt there's some acceleration and deceleration over the period of the video, but I'm not sure how to calculate those based on what we can see. I think a number of between 120 to 180 feet seems reasonable.

Nope as in it can't be done ??

That's the part I wasn't buying. Unless they were messing with tape speed, 2 of the tires accelerate after they start rolling uphill. Or maybe it wasn't really uphill, they tilted the floor for that part. Probably not.

That's the part I wasn't buying. Unless they were messing with tape speed, 2 of the tires accelerate after they start rolling uphill. Or maybe it wasn't really uphill, they tilted the floor for that part. Probably not.

Check out the 2 links from post 6.. it can be done. It's all about changing the tire's center of mass. From the tire's perspective, it's using gravity while only appearing to oppose it.

And even though those videos backed up what I thought made sense, I decided to prove it to myself by actually trying it. I stuck a very heavy magnet inside a empty coffee can and it rolled up a gently sloping book. It works and is pretty neat. Give it traction (rubber tire) and a much heavier weight and yes, it can handle steeper slopes and it will in fact accelerate noticeably.

At 2:40 in the making of video, it shows a failed attempt at rolling the tires uphill.

Check out the 2 links from post 6.. it can be done. It's all about changing the tire's center of mass. From the tire's perspective, it's using gravity while only appearing to oppose it.

And even though those videos backed up what I thought made sense, I decided to prove it to myself by actually trying it. I stuck a very heavy magnet inside a empty coffee can and it rolled up a gently sloping book. It works and is pretty neat. Give it traction (rubber tire) and a much heavier weight and yes, it can handle steeper slopes and it will in fact accelerate noticeably.

At 2:40 in the making of video, it shows a failed attempt at rolling the tires uphill.

Starting at 0:45 in the video, a guy talks about "all the components that make up this fantastic product."

Is Honda using wonky tires in its vehicles now? No? Well then they cheated. I don't care if its CGI or not. They cheated.

Starting at 0:45 in the video, a guy talks about "all the components that make up this fantastic product."

Is Honda using wonky tires in its vehicles now? No? Well then they cheated. I don't care if its CGI or not. They cheated.

Right I meant without cheating. If you used crazy weights to rig stuff then you can make anything happen. I guess it wouldn't be cheating if they used some other part of the car as the weights, but I need proof.

It is real physics, friction and gravity. It's clever use of an optical illusion.

In any case.. "They cheated" is a far cry tamer than your initial "it's not real" so I'll accept that as your admission of defeat.

And by 20th's new standard... say a small object was placed as a stopper at the bottom of one of the upright objects to hold it in place until its time to fall... if that small object is a nut from the car.. it is real and not cheating.. and if it's a small block of wood, it's not real and is cheating. That's pretty silly.

You two must be balls of fun at magic shows.

I've never been to a magic show, but I don't believe any of the ones I have seen on TV. If I did I would have to accept that David Blaine is the devil.

Everything just looks too clean in the Honda video. It's a splice of individual parts that worked at different times at best. They're all english, you can't trust them...

I've never been to a magic show, but I don't believe any of the ones I have seen on TV. If I did I would have to accept that David Blaine is the devil.

Everything just looks too clean in the Honda video. It's a splice of individual parts that worked at different times at best. They're all english, you can't trust them...

Those parts did look conspicuously smooth... The tires up the ramp though, that's cheating from the aspect of using not using all OEM parts (assuming of course all of the other bits and pieces are.) From its visual interest, its Rube Goldberg-esque design and the sheer dissonance of wheels rolling uphill, I thought it was pretty neat. Keyword is neat, not stupendous, fantastic, amazing, deceptive, or cunning. Neat.

Archived