Larry Kane Show Clip

devonhart

This is great devonhart thank you for posting the clip to YouTube. I used to watch Larry Kane all of the time when I was a kid. Later I got into Soul Train. Too bad most of the Larry Kane show programs were not archived at the time.

As I recall in the late 60s and early 70s American Bandstand was not aired in Houston. Did that have something to do with Larry Kane? Was Kane's show on channel 13 (ABC)? I believe Bandstand was an ABC show.

I would only get to see Bandstand when visiting Austin.

that's Ovid Stevens next to Larry Kane... In the middle of that clip, when they show the full band, Seals is the guy down front in the middle

Larry mentioned 'Green Skies', which means that the band Seals was in when he was on that show was Southwest FOB, which also featured John Colley, who would add his middle name and change the spelling of his last name to Coley

here's another clip...

(and for the record, that song sucked. the keyboards were annoyingly piercing)

Too bad most of the Larry Kane show programs were not archived at the time.

This thread reminds me I had recorded a lot of the Larry Kane shows' on a reel to reel (audio only). Now I am going to have to locate the old tapes for a couple special segments I remember. One was the guest appearance of one of my Madison HS classmates, Charlie Romans (lip-sinking without his band, ThePastels) and the other was J. Frank Wilson performing TheLast Kiss live with his band The Cavaliers (girl back up missing). Most artists were lip-sinking of course. Anyone else remember these two appearances?

and the other was J. Frank Wilson performing TheLast Kiss live with his band The Cavaliers

This is weird. I live in Lufkin, and I went to a Memorial Day observance yesterday at a large cemetery on the edge of town. Walking into the cemetery, I went past a gravestone with the name "J. Frank Wilson" on it.

I wondered if it was the 1960s singer, so later, at home, I Googled up that name and found it is/was the guy famous for The Last Kiss. J. Frank Wilson was born in Lufkin in 1941, and he died in Lufkin in 1991, a few weeks shy of his 50th birthday.

Now, today, I run into his name again here on HAIF. What's going on?

This is weird. I live in Lufkin, and I went to a Memorial Day observance yesterday at a large cemetery on the edge of town. Walking into the cemetery, I went past a gravestone with the name "J. Frank Wilson" on it.

I wondered if it was the 1960s singer, so later, at home, I Googled up that name and found it is/was the guy famous for The Last Kiss. J. Frank Wilson was born in Lufkin in 1941, and he died in Lufkin in 1991, a few weeks shy of his 50th birthday.

Now, today, I run into his name again here on HAIF. What's going on?

Strange vibes from Rock 'N Roll Heaven! A second strange thing happened. I found an old reel to reel recorder that actual powered up and amazingly located the old Larry Kane Show audio I mentioned. After being stored away and forgotten about for almost 40 years, it is actually in fair condition for an old wrinkled strip of mylar.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this old relic. Enjoyed it very much. Do you have any of the interview?

I remember the interview but have not located my absolute original tape which did include it. In it Wilson mentioned why his female volcalist was not there. I also had Charlie Romans' "very nervous" interview but have been unable to locate that tape. Thanks for your comments.

If you locate you complete tape I would really like to hear it. I danced on the LKS for years and was present when J. Frank Wilson appeared at least on one occasion and probably another. I did take a photograph of him sitting on a stool performing on the LKS but he was not accompanied by anyone on that date.

If you locate you complete tape I would really like to hear it. I danced on the LKS for years and was present when J. Frank Wilson appeared at least on one occasion and probably another. I did take a photograph of him sitting on a stool performing on the LKS but he was not accompanied by anyone on that date.

So far, the only commentaries on this secondary tape was LK making an announcement of Jeanette Bishop's leaving the show to return home to Ireland. You weren't by chance her partner, where you?

I am concerned that possibly 30+ years ago, I may have compiled these performances to get rid of (what seemed at the time) meanlessly jabber. !!!%&*#@##!!!!!!

So far, the only commentaries on this secondary tape was LK making an announcement of Jeanette Bishop's leaving the show to return home to Ireland. You weren't by chance her partner, where you?

I am concerned that possibly 30+ years ago, I may have compiled these performances to get rid of (what seemed at the time) meanlessly jabber. !!!%&*#@##!!!!!!

I had many partners over 8 years of dancing on the LKS but I didn't know her. There were many people on the show over it's 14 year duration and I couldn't know all of them. As for the meanless jabber, one man's trash is another man's treasure but I understand... lol.

Archived