Fry And Grand Parkway

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The store would be across from a large H-E-B but the sources say the deal makes sense because of the area’s large population of high-income households."

The only place this could possibly be is on the southeast corner of 99, and not "across" from HEB. Still confused as to how that area will do with a new 30,000 sq foot grocery store as the traffic is horrible on the west side. I guess we'll see.

I don't think the traffic is quite as bad on the east side where this is supposed to go. But if it's built that whole Fry/99 intersection is going to become pretty awful. Personally I think this might be better as the main anchor in Phase II of La Centerra. Although I guess you wouldn't have direct freeway access from that location, so it might cause even worse traffic issues.

"The store would be across from a large H-E-B but the sources say the deal makes sense because of the area’s large population of high-income households."

The only place this could possibly be is on the southeast corner of 99, and not "across" from HEB. Still confused as to how that area will do with a new 30,000 sq foot grocery store as the traffic is horrible on the west side. I guess we'll see.

Well, it is "across" from HEB. It's on the other side of the Grand Parkway. HEB on the SW corner and Whole Foods on the SE corner. Now Sugar Land won't be the only Houston suburb with a Whole Foods. The Woodlands and League City should get one in no time.

I don't think the traffic is quite as bad on the east side where this is supposed to go. But if it's built that whole Fry/99 intersection is going to become pretty awful. Personally I think this might be better as the main anchor in Phase II of La Centerra. Although I guess you wouldn't have direct freeway access from that location, so it might cause even worse traffic issues.

Agreed, that Fry Road traffic is just horrible. Not sure there is much they can do to fix it either. They already redid the turning lanes. And the Grand Parkway may need to be expanded (one lane each direction) soon, too. Katy traffic on the side roads have gotten real bad this past decade.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

They began clearing the lot last week.

Appears they may have marked the corner of Fry and 99 to add a right turn lane (for westbound Fry traffic to turn north on 99). This has been sorely needed... traffic stacks up badly if the car at the front of the line is going straight.

As for the traffic in this area... the designers of 99 have got to wake up and allow frontage road access to businesses (HEB, Home Depot, Chilis, etc). It's ridiculous that the businesses must be accessed exclusively from Fry and Westheimer.

They began clearing the lot last week.

Appears they may have marked the corner of Fry and 99 to add a right turn lane (for westbound Fry traffic to turn north on 99). This has been sorely needed... traffic stacks up badly if the car at the front of the line is going straight.

As for the traffic in this area... the designers of 99 have got to wake up and allow frontage road access to businesses (HEB, Home Depot, Chilis, etc). It's ridiculous that the businesses must be accessed exclusively from Fry and Westheimer.

People are so spoiled by the feeder roads in Houston. Welcome to most of America, where most businesses are along a major street and not the feeder roads (because they don't exist). Anyway, its about time they wise up and add dedicated right turn lanes at intersections. Katy doesn't have enough of those.

It looks like the tenants are tentative. Are we sure they are going to be there? I live very closr to there. It will be interesting to see what happens to the traffic. Anyone know what happened to the plans on the other side by the Precinct? We need more dining options....and not more Mexican food:)

. Anyway, its about time they wise up and add dedicated right turn lanes at intersections. Katy doesn't have enough of those.

I second that. Those are needed all over. I hate people that get in the right lane and don't turn when there are other lanes available for going straight but most Houston drivers drive like they are the only car on the road.

Also, before they allow cars turning into business along 99 I would like to see them expand the frontage road to at least 3 lanes.

Here's the response I received from David Gornet, Executive Director of the Grand Parkway Association, in July 2010 when I asked about these issues:

Grand Parkway was designed to not have access along the route. Access is allowed only to the cross streets. It is the commercial developers responsibility to provide adequate turn lanes in and out of their development if they want to be successful.

As for the dedicated right turn only or left turn only lanes; yes, there could be lanes added and longer storage provided so that the movements can function more efficiently. There appear to be an adequate number of lanes under 99 if there was not the commercial congestion on the west side.

Fixing this is not easy or cheap. Land might have to be acquired and concrete poured to widen the approaches to 3 or 4 lanes.

I think they need to hear from more of us. Fry already backs up east of 99 on the weekends... sometimes all the way to the Grand Lakes entrance at Center Village Drive. So what are we to expect after these new businesses open? I'm afraid it will be as bad as the west side of the intersection -- especially if the road designers don't come to their senses. I hope more people will make their voices heard by emailing Mr. Gornet at dgornet@grandpky.com

Here's the response I received from David Gornet, Executive Director of the Grand Parkway Association, in July 2010 when I asked about these issues:

Grand Parkway was designed to not have access along the route. Access is allowed only to the cross streets. It is the commercial developers responsibility to provide adequate turn lanes in and out of their development if they want to be successful.

As for the dedicated right turn only or left turn only lanes; yes, there could be lanes added and longer storage provided so that the movements can function more efficiently. There appear to be an adequate number of lanes under 99 if there was not the commercial congestion on the west side.

Fixing this is not easy or cheap. Land might have to be acquired and concrete poured to widen the approaches to 3 or 4 lanes.

I think they need to hear from more of us. Fry already backs up east of 99 on the weekends... sometimes all the way to the Grand Lakes entrance at Center Village Drive. So what are we to expect after these new businesses open? I'm afraid it will be as bad as the west side of the intersection -- especially if the road designers don't come to their senses. I hope more people will make their voices heard by emailing Mr. Gornet at dgornet@grandpky.com

That's not a problem with the Grand Parkway, but Fry Road. Bad planning has made Fry Road have an inadequate number of lanes througj there. Expanding to three and then having the lanes on the far right turn into dedicated right turn lanes would work better. Not to mebtion Fry is the widest road connecting the Grand Parkway with Fulshear. If the grid was slightly better and some of the streets were widened, traffic would flow more. This is where having large unincorporated areas hurts.

• 3 months later...

Regarding the design of 99 without feeder roads in the segment between the westpark tollway and I-10. My understanding was that this section was designed under the idea that it would never be tolled like the rest of the Grand Parkway. Since selfishly I live in the area I will take the lesser of two evils and make due without having access to the commercial sites from a ramp, rather than having to pay a toll to go 2 miles several times a week. I can avoid the Fry Road mess and never go there on weekends. I could see driving through that area before it was built out that a good majority of the homes west of 99 in this area are landlocked of sorts and have one or at best two avenues out and thus congestion.

Was that english? what ever do you mean?

Okay, so I miss-spelled "guess".

Other than that though, what's so difficult to understand? I'm not asking for the keys to the Louvre, I'm simply asking what's so great about Whole Foods. As in, what makes Whole Foods so great? As in, why are so many people going ga-ga over Whole Foods? As in, why do people go on about the place like it's the coolest thing since sliced bread?

Other than that though, what's so difficult to understand? I'm not asking for the keys to the Louvre, I'm simply asking what's so great about Whole Foods. As in, what makes Whole Foods so great? As in, why are so many people going ga-ga over Whole Foods? As in, why do people go on about the place like it's the coolest thing since sliced bread?

There's nothing spectacular about Whole Foods except their prices. The one at Kirby and Alabama would be mildly interesting if you are a young urban dweller trying to be with or be like other young urban dwellers. They do have a "happy hour" there, pizza and beer I think. The other Whole Foods (Sugar Land, Westchase, West University) I have been to have been much ado about nothing, just overpriced and attempted corporate-designed-cool grocery stores.

There's nothing spectacular about Whole Foods except their prices. The one at Kirby and Alabama would be mildly interesting if you are a young urban dweller trying to be with or be like other young urban dwellers. They do have a "happy hour" there, pizza and beer I think. The other Whole Foods (Sugar Land, Westchase, West University) I have been to have been much ado about nothing, just overpriced and attempted corporate-designed-cool grocery stores.

I agree that prices at Whole Foods tend to be higher, but in certain cases, the old adage "you get what you pay for" is true. For example, in my opinion (so save all your comments about how my "opinion" is stupid, misguided, wrong, etc), the quality of their baked goods is considerably higher than products available at other markets and is worth the price. There are other products that I feel the same way about.

That's the beauty of choice, right? I can go to multiple markets. I'll probably continue to spend 75% of my grocery dollars at HEB and may spend 25% at Whole Foods to buy the items that I feel they do a better job with.

Ok I comprehend now, sometimes you read something and it just doesn't come from the perspective you think it should or something.. anyways. When I used to live way in town I went to Whole Foods once, My impressions as I remember them were, this place is for those "granola" people, then I went back to Krogers on West Gray. That was about 12 years ago so my opinion and memory may fail me and I will have to check it out.

I agree that prices at Whole Foods tend to be higher, but in certain cases, the old adage "you get what you pay for" is true. For example, in my opinion (so save all your comments about how my "opinion" is stupid, misguided, wrong, etc), the quality of their baked goods is considerably higher than products available at other markets and is worth the price. There are other products that I feel the same way about.

That's the beauty of choice, right? I can go to multiple markets. I'll probably continue to spend 75% of my grocery dollars at HEB and may spend 25% at Whole Foods to buy the items that I feel they do a better job with.

That's pretty much my ratio also. HEB is my primary shopping store but I agree you can tell a difference. Steaks and even chicken and fish from Whole Foods, as expensive as they are, taste so much better then other stores. Of course if your into quantity over quality, which most Americans obviously are, then WF is not going to appeal to you.

Hey, if you like Whole Foods for some things or all things, more power to ya. I was just expressing my opinion that it's overrated. That said, adding one at Fry and Grand Pkwy is going to increase choice in the area so that's a good thing.

Hey, if you like Whole Foods for some things or all things, more power to ya. I was just expressing my opinion that it's overrated. That said, adding one at Fry and Grand Pkwy is going to increase choice in the area so that's a good thing.

Now we just need a Trader Joe's!

Well, crap. Okay, I'll bite; what's a "Trader Joes"?

www.traderjoes.com

Specialty grocery chain. Lots of good prices on specific items, but probably best known for its $2.99 private label wine, which is actually quite good.

• 3 months later...

The signs up so far are Stein Mart and World Market. I'd rather have a Whole Foods. My daughter needs to go gluten-free. World Market has some goodies from other nations but it's mostly imported home furnishings and nick-knacks. I like Stein Mart. it will give us another mid-priced clothing option.

Archived