307-Acres Near NRG Stadium (Formerly UT Research Campus Proposal)

It would be cool to see a joint effort at this campus between UT, UH, A&M, and Rice. A centralized, joint research campus near the TMC could turn into a substantial biotech hub. Of course, that takes a lot of money and a lot of coordination. However, it is a pie-in-the-sky thought.

You mean the exact concept of the TMC 3?

And as a current UH student if this truly is just a research campus then I'm all for it. I think most politicians are upset that UT went behind their back and in-essence ignored proper procedures. 

• Like 2

You mean the exact concept of the TMC 3?

And as a current UH student if this truly is just a research campus then I'm all for it. I think most politicians are upset that UT went behind their back and in-essence ignored proper procedures.

I'll admit, I haven't paid any attention to TMC3, nor did I know anything about it. However, if that concept could be achieved here or there, it would be a boon for the city, but that's obvious.

I don't see this in any way as "worse than UT-Arlington" (and for the record I never noted that UT proposed anything "worse than UT-Arlington"). They have proposed something entirely different from UT-ARLINGTON,

Further, if, as you claim, they are indeed proposing something worse than UT-Arlington, what does UH have to worry about? Do all you Cougs really think so little of your school that you think it can't hold its own against an institution worse than UT-Arlington?

Again, I didn't go to either school -- all I care about is how this affects TMC3.  If putting in a school worse than UT-Arlington kills TMC3 then I am against it.  

• 3 weeks later...

Still getting worse...

^^^ oh you haven't seen nothing yet my wonderful pal h-townman, just wait until we officially announce our forthcoming DKR SEZ / MONCRIEF NEUHAUS (football stadium full enclosure and expansion / renovation / redevelopment project.  this will undoubtedly make DKR MEMORIAL STADIUM... the collegiate stadium of futuristic dreams.  not to mention, our new and forthcoming futuristic state of the art $600mm+ basketball arena... the established sentiment will only get worser.... 

Y'all are wasting your time yakking about the decision making process of the bureaucracy involved here. Can we get back to something that matters......like the WHERE of this whole thing?

What's the outlook for a single family home owner about a mile away from this proposed development? Is our sleepy little corner of the loop finally getting it's wakeup call?

• Like 4

Y'all are wasting your time yakking about the decision making process of the bureaucracy involved here. Can we get back to something that matters......like the WHERE of this whole thing?

What's the outlook for a single family home owner about a mile away from this proposed development? Is our sleepy little corner of the loop finally getting it's wakeup call?

Yes. Our property values are going to skyrocket. I live in Knollwood Village, and it's the closest single family neighborhood inside the loop to this. I expect my tax bill to be through the roof once this is built.

• 2 weeks later...

UT closes on 100 acres in Houston, plans to buy 200 more

The University of Texas has taken a key step in a Houston expansion that some area leaders have called an "invasion."

UT announced Friday it had closed on 100 acres in southwest Houston and plans to buy 200 more in coming months. The announcement is- a sign that UT leaders are not slowing a planned expansion, as many area lawmakers have asked.

• Like 4

I think the simple answer from a Houston perspective is: more is better. UT is going to deploy the resources from that $25 billion endowment somewhere in the state - why not try to maximize the amount coming to Houston? UH should negotiate a no faculty poaching agreement and Big 12 entry.

I tend to agree that an additional campus would benefit Houston as a city. A medical school is a long-term objective of UH, and a little trading to clear the path for this campus might secure funding for that endeavour. I don't think a Big 12 invite is in the cards at the moment. The NCAA recently voted to change its rules, permitting the Big 12 to hold a title game without divisions. That vote mooted the impetus for the league to grow again, regardless of UT's wishes.

UT is working to organize a task force, which will spend the next year molding a vision for the land. Members of that task force -- which could include representatives from the University of Houston, Texas Southern University, the state's Higher Education Coordinating Board and the mayor's office -- will be asked to "leave their preconceived notions about higher education...at the door," McRaven said.

McRaven is scheduled to make his pitch for the project to the state's higher education coordinating board on Thursday.

• Like 2

A lot of people here don't seem to agree with the notion that competition is good.. I'm not sure if that's because they truly believe competition is detrimental, or if they are merely trying to look out for their school. Most cities would welcome a new university.. Yet for some reason people here feel it's in the best interest of their alma mater (but not necessarily thinking about what's good for the city) to push research dollars and thousands of bright young minds away from Houston.

• Like 4

I like this plan personally. I think this is good for Houston in many ways.

1) We could always use more schools. Ask Metro LA, Metro Boston, SF Bay, DC/Balt, NYC area, Chicago metro, Raleigh Triangle, etc etc if they would accept losing any of their great higher learning schools and they'll tell you no way IMO. . The jobs created and investment in the education industry will be a boon for Houston in a time when oil prices are plummeting every day to new lows. It's a sturdy white collar industry presence like this that will help Houston diversify. Colleges and universities make substantial money from student housing, books, on campus things, etc.

2) love its location. It'll be a great extension to the greater TMC area. It's great to have an urban school campus develop densely adjacent to the NRG Park and TMC areas. With accessible options to light rail, and McRaven wants to get LRT extended to the campus, it's in a great site to continue the footprint of the urban development occurring south of Midtown all the way to the NRG Park, Museum district, and TMC areas and now extending further south of loop 610. Thanks to UT's plans.

3) this is great for the community. It gives more school options, and it will eventually as it seasons into Houston's livelihood over the course of a few decades, will become an integral part of the community's culture. I.e. Sports, events, socials, research competitions, recruiters, etc. Houston has the chance to build a new school brand, not to compete with UH and Rice but to compliment them in terms of offerings in the Metro Houston area.

I doubt a UT-Houston will ever be better than UT-Austin, but UT-Dallas is pretty good now, accredited and recognized public university, UT-Houston can certainly compete well with that.

4) I like its urban concept renderings. I like the whole thing. It's a win, esp. considering what's on the land now.

DEW IT UT!

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

UH Declines Spot on UT Planning Group

The University of Houston declined an invitation to sit on a task force planning the use of more than 300 acres in southwest Houston that the University of Texas is purchasing, a UT spokeswoman said Tuesday.

UH officials have vocally opposed UT's planned Houston expansion, saying the flagship is acting without consulting the city's existing schools. The UT spokeswoman said UH was offered a spot on the 18-member panel, but declined the offer.

The group -- an executive committee that will pull in various other experts and community leaders over the next year to help guide UT's plans for the land -- includes representatives from Texas Southern University and Rice University. Multiple UH alumni are on the task force, however.

• Like 1