307-Acres Near NRG Stadium (Formerly UT Research Campus Proposal)

I know we are long past the era when universities were in it for the education and betterment of society but dose UT not make enough money as it is?  I just find it disconcerting that all, not just UT, are in education solely for the money. 

This is worth a serious discussion, maybe in another thread: 

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/32822-modern-education/

• Like 3

Agreed. This is the catalyst the city needs for major high rise and mixed-use residential/office/retail development in the South Loop/NRG Stadium area.

Why do I have a feeling that whatever development is to be sparked by this will be fought tooth and nail by the rodeo?

• Like 1

They are saying that they have been wanting a presence in Houston for decades, yet they have had a medical presence for 100 years. It doesn't follow.

Plus that is a hell of a lot of land to start out with. The entire Rice Campus is 295 acres. Some of UT 4 yrs campuses are that size. UT Austin, Dallas, SA, etc are huge but they all started smaller and acquired more land. UTD started out as 1 building, UT Austin started out as 40 acres, UT Arlington was less than 10 Acres in its early days before expansion.

Comparing it to other universities, SMU is exactly the same size as Rice at 295 acres, Houston Baptist is 100 acres, Texas state has 38,000 students on 450 acres, lamar is like 270 acres, trinity in SA is 117 acres.

Looking at the medical Reseach fascilities, UT HSC Houston had a tiny foot print. UT HSC San Antonio has 8 campuses and all together they are smaller than this. UT Southwestern is in a Medical district that contain 3 campuses and 4 hospitals and and only take up 230 acres.

So I can only think that the reason UT needs so much land is they are planning a full fledged 4 year stand alone college Campus in Houston.

I also agree with this.

FWIW, I went to Texas so I'm actually excited they're doing this.

It will mostly likely be a research complex offering advanced degrees at first. Then eventually (and like you've stated) become a full 4 year institution. Somehow, it will differentiate itself by focusing on something like engineering or space or medical or possibly a combination all three!. Who knows.

It will be interesting how it comes about and how the UT system will try to not cannibalize its flagship campus /  compete with A&M & UH for the Houston area.

I do know, however, that compared to California (which Texas does all the time) we as a state are severely behind in top tier public university / higher education infrastructure. Not to mention we will need to educate the ever expanding population.

UH is a piece of the puzzle. And I would love for them to get a medical school and grow as a Tier 1 institution. But with the population growth in Houston, there will be a need for another "name brand" 4 year institution other than UH within a generation.

• Like 2

Phillips 66's new headquarters' amenities will include a sports deck with putting greens and a soccer field...

Would a Fortune 500 company have a sports team?

Baseball in the rendering is interesting though, since that's not as casual as a soccer field (which they show as well). To me, it implies some level of student life and possible housing. If no actual sports team, it seems like they're prepping for more than just a research institute. If so, I think the impact of this school on the surrounding areas (esp south main corridor) could get really interesting. There is a lot of (cheaper) land in large parcels around this part of town. Lots of older apartment complexes as well.

Alright... Everyone ready for this....

(puts on tin foil hat)

What if UT doesn't want to buy that land in the SW... What if they want to instead purchase the KBR lot and adjacent MDI lot?!?!?

Look at the shape of the proposed layout... Very similar to the KBR and Adjacent MDI lots combined

The Ike funding is running out and no Mdi homes will be built on that lot in the near future....

Offices already in place on KBR site with utilities and sewage in place...

The KBR lot was freshly mowed a week ago. (first time in 2 years)....

(tin foil hat off)

No way this happens. UT to south west 100% going to happen

post-12738-0-32996700-1447111959_thumb.p

Edited by Mr.Clean19

If so, I think the impact of this school on the surrounding areas (esp south main corridor) could get really interesting. There is a lot of (cheaper) land in large parcels around this part of town. Lots of older apartment complexes as well.

Im very curious as to what affect this will have on the surrounding areas.

Alright... Everyone ready for this....

(puts on tin foil hat)

What if UT doesn't want to buy that land in the SW... What if they want to instead purchase the KBR lot and adjacent MDI lot?!?!?

Look at the shape of the proposed layout... Very similar to the KBR and Adjacent MDI lots combined

The Ike funding is running out and no Mdi homes will be built on that lot in the near future....

Offices already in place on KBR site with utilities and sewage in place...

The KBR lot was freshly mowed a week ago. (first time in 2 years)....

(tin foil hat off)

No way this happens. UT to south west 100% going to happen

I think the a university / research center on the KBR site would be a great addition to the area. Like really great.

Maybe A&M can build a Houston campus there. You know the Aggies are going to get REALLY jealous about UT's shiny new Houston campus.

If the KBR site is 300.1 acres, then you can bank on the fact the Aggies will buy it as their Houston campus will be bigger and "better" than UT's. Then we can have 3 types of Aggies in the Houston area: Country Ags, City Ags and Sea Ags. What's not to love?

[Kidding... sort of]

However, the SW location is superior IMO due to its proximity to the medical center and the current UT system infrastructure, the fact that its greenfield and the potential proximity to future light rail / commuter rail expansion.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2015/11/experts-weigh-in-on-how-much-ut-paid-for-prime.html

The University of Texas System announced Nov. 5 that its board of regents approved the purchase of more than 300 acres in southwest Houston. That land could be the catalyst for future development in the region, experts say.

The land itself is close to other major organizations and facilities, such as theTexas Medical Center and NRG Park. Almost more importantly, though, are plans for a light-rail line that will extend to the campus, said Tom Dosch, executive managing director for ARA Newmark.

Dosch and Dillon Mills, an analyst at ARA Newmark, speculated land that size could go anywhere between $3 to $5 per square foot. At 300 acres, that values the land somewhere between $39 million to $65 million. In addition, it's likely the deal comprised several dozen sellers, as the property is already divvied up, Mills said.

• Like 2

"The land itself is close to other major organizations and facilities, such as theTexas Medical Center and NRG Park. Almost more importantly, though, are plans for a light-rail line that will extend to the campus, said Tom Dosch, executive managing director for ARA Newmark."

:o 

Does this mean the University line has more supporters now? I really hope so!!!

Edit- Sorry, forgot the university line would be much more north. Extension of red line or would it be the commuter line?

Edited by dml423

I'm hoping this encourages redevelopment along S. Main and Buffalo Speedway. For example, places like The Broadmead and Mainstream Apartments seem like they'd be ripe for redevelopment after this. I mean, look at all this potential student housing: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.6714916,-95.4247134/29.6721696,-95.4252312/@29.6836149,-95.425058,1523m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

• Like 1

I'm hoping this encourages redevelopment along S. Main and Buffalo Speedway. For example, places like The Broadmead and Mainstream Apartments seem like they'd be ripe for redevelopment after this. I mean, look at all this potential student housing: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.6714916,-95.4247134/29.6721696,-95.4252312/@29.6836149,-95.425058,1523m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

I sure hope so, but I'm guessing this would be on a reasonably long timeframe.  I don't know much about those apartments along Westridge, but man there are a lot of them

Just imagine with this, a potentially re-purposed astrodome (?), the new TMC3 campus, the various other expansions ongoing in the med center, and things are really looking up for this part of town

• Like 1

"The whole area south of 610 has lacked an end user that would springboard everything," Mills said. "Now you have a big end user that is a game changer for the area."

They said it - not me.

Since it's at the very end of the article, would it be considered a thinly veiled cliche?  :ph34r:

http://www.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/Concerns-over-UT-Houston-plan-growing-6641846.php

"There is room in Houston for multiple academic and research opportunities – in fact, a proliferation of these types of opportunities is endemic to a thriving, modern, world-class city," McRaven said. "This is about advancing Houston, and what that could mean not just for Texas, but for our nation. This is preparing for the future, not the present. One only has to look at the growth and impact of the Texas Medical Center to imagine the possibilities."
McRaven said UT's plans are not about competition. 

The new UT site in Houston could bring great opportunities, McRaven and Paredes agree -- including possible collaboration with public universities such as UH and Texas Southern and private schools like Rice and St. Thomas. "The University of Houston is a great institution – recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for its impressive research activity and becoming more nationally competitive every day," McRaven said. "Bringing more of UT to the city of Houston and creating an intellectual hub in the city in no way creates competition for the University of Houston, nor do we see this as a UT versus UH scenario."

• Like 1

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/Is-UT-s-Houston-land-grab-illegal-6646162.php

After hearing Thursday that the University of Texas's purchase of 332 acres in Houston was a "land grab" and an "invasion" of UH territory, Tilman Fertitta, the chairman of the University of Houston board of regents, floated a question to the lawyer in the room.

"If we were to litigate, which side do you like?"

UH would be on "the side of the angels," Michael Olivas, director of UH's Institute for Higher Education Law and Governance, responded.

The state's higher education commissioner, Raymund Paredes, who oversees the coordinating board, has questioned whether such an expansion is a good use of state resources. Paredes told the Chronicle that he is worried a new UT site might create unnecessary competition for UH and might duplicate services in a major metropolitan area that already has several universities.

Interesting, that when the news first broke, this was the headline:

UH 'not worried' about UT's Houston move, just 'want respect' 
  • Like 1

I can understand both "sides" of the issue; UH has come a very long way to earn the same level of respect, as an institution, that UT has garnered for many years. No, it's not at that exact same level, but UH is doing great things and we can see a "boom" of sorts for the Uni in all areas.

Whereas, UT just wants a slice of that pie.

It speaks volumes to the state of higher education in Houston when UT wants to step up their game and build a campus of this size, while UH is right to remain cautious that this won't impede their expansion.

Idk about you guys, but the more higher education facilities we have in the city, the better.

• Like 5