Sign in to follow this  
Mister X

215-Acres near NRG Stadium (formerly UT Research Campus Proposal)

Took a photo of the old for sale sign before it's swamped out for JLL's.

Believe these signs are super old. They have been around even before UT bought the land.

C8LTOGc.jpg

• Like 3

RFI for the 80 acres.

https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/real-estate/rfpsrfqsrfis/requests-information-rfis

RFI No.: 720-1930 Request for Information - Ground Lease and/or Joint Development of approximately 80 Acres of Land west of Buffalo Speedway and bisected by Willowbend Boulevard, Houston, Texas.

Response Due Date: Friday, September 27, 2019

Response Due Time: 5:00PM Central Daylight Saving Time

noVatrg.png

6KtouSN.png

WiidTlc.png

vsKHSsP.png

Jds0geI.png

ob3u5iP.png

qi3NQli.png

JCV8sir.png

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Not one major city in the U.S. has multiple 4 year major state university system campuses from different systems.

This exists within our state. In 2009, a new Texas A&M University-San Antonio was founded with eventual plans to reach an enrollement of 25,000+, and San Antonio is also served by the 35,000 student enrollment University of Texas at San Antonio.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JJxvi said:

This exists within our state. In 2009, a new Texas A&M University-San Antonio was founded with eventual plans to reach an enrollement of 25,000+, and San Antonio is also served by the 35,000 student enrollment University of Texas at San Antonio.

If anything Austin is under-served.... Let's a build a University of Houston- Austin campus, a Texas A&M- Austin campus, and a Texas Tech- Austin campus...all within miles from the UT- Austin campus. 

Edited by shasta
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, jmosele said:

Shasta clearly has a bone to pick with UT. They must still feel the sting of receiving that rejection letter years ago 😢

Nope..UT didn't make my final cut, despite pressure from UT family members and YES..I had the grades to get in.

You'd be surprised how many have turned down a scholarship/acceptance at UT-Austin to attend the University of Houston...there are more than you think.

For me, UH's accredited Architecture program within a top 5 US city,  with their picky sub 10% acceptance rate, turned out to be the best choice! 

UT understands that Houston is the most prolific educational market in the state and that the University of Houston is sitting in the cat birds seat, long term. 

They have advantages the other Texas cities just don't have. 

Give it a little time and Houston will have the BEST private school (Rice) and the BEST public school (UH) in the State of Texas........ just give it time. 

And for those paying attention, 46,000 students this fall  is a new enrollment record and they are building enough dorms to someday claim the title of the most dorms on campus in any school in Texas. Imagine a campus with 60,000 students, with 20,000+ living on campus and served by a redeveloped Third Ward creating a College Campus environment inside the  soon to be 3rd most populous city in the United States.  

Quite the shift!

Edited by shasta
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, shasta said:

Nope..UT didn't make my final cut, despite pressure from UT family members and YES..I had the grades to get in.

You'd be surprised how many have turned down a scholarship/acceptance at UT-Austin to attend the University of Houston...there are more than you think.

For me, UH's accredited Architecture program within a top 5 US city,  with their picky sub 10% acceptance rate, turned out to be the best choice! 

UT understands that Houston is the most prolific educational market in the state and that the University of Houston is sitting in the cat birds seat, long term. 

Give it a little time and Houston will have the BEST private school (Rice) and the BEST public school (UH) in the State of Texas........ just give it time. 

And for those paying attention, 46,000 students this fall  is a new enrollment record and they are building enough dorms to someday claim the title of the most dorms on campus in any school in Texas. Imagine a campus with 60,000 students, with 20,000+ living on campus and served by a redeveloped Third Ward creating a College Campus environment inside the  soon to be 3rd most populous city in the United States.  

Quite the shift!

I got accepted into UT but went to UH instead too.

• Like 4

On 9/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, shasta said:

Quite the shift!

lol, right?

I wonder who decides to go to the UT hospitality program over UH?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, htownproud said:

Nothing like opening a thread to see a pissing match between local schools (again).

You know its bad when a mod jumps into it too.

17 hours ago, Triton said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Triton said:

I was accepted into UT also, but decided to go to Baylor instead.  Baylor offered more money and prettier coeds.  My kids have (so far) all decided to go to UH.  They thought about UT, but decided life and food were far better in Houston.  Plus the aforementioned architecture school.

Edited by august948
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, AREJAY said:

You know its bad when a mod jumps into it too.

No, I have nothing bad to say about UT... Just found it interesting that there was another HAIFer that made the same choice. Not tossing my hat either way.

Look, I actually hoped UT would have built their research campus here in Houston because I think it would have helped create new industry right here in Houston in the long term, but I see UH freaked out because they likely felt more and more money would flow to UT in Houston rather than UH. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went out of state for undergrad but chose UH over UT, Boston U, and NYU for grad school. Was rejected by Chicago and wait-listed by Columbia. I mostly chose UH because I missed home after 4 years in Upstate NY and a friend that was in the program at UT (she was rejected by UH) warned me that her field placement was in Dallas because Austin was limited compared to Houston with opportunities. 

• Like 3

When this first broke I told you it would never happen. A few said I was delusional, that UT was boss and what it wants, it gets. Well, how did that work out? And even now, you continue to miss the point. There was NO objection to UT having a "research facility" but when renderings were leaked disclosing athletic facilities and diverse campus facilities, the true motive for the site was obvious. What was objected to was UT intending degree programs already offered by another public university. That constituted a waste of taxpayer funds and the motive therefor could only be to dilute the strength of the other public university. So if you are going to complain, be relevant. 

• Like 1

QF6i4eR.png

Here are the vacant metal industrial buildings on southern parcel the that were spoken about. Also the cell tower and old water tower.

DDFr4zj.jpg

CpMP52H.jpg

fmQ4Iwj.jpg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Fortune said:

So is UT not selling the land? 

It's confusing. Bunch of tracts and parcels involved.

UT owns 305 acres.  Believe 216 acres of that is for sale. UT will develop the remaining 80 acres.. Is my take of things.

• Like 5

The industrial site is being dismantled and cleaned up.

Last week:

X6hpLSO.jpg

Yesterday:

odHdO2w.jpg

Removing chemicals and the barrels that were dumped on the side of the road.

18iNf2Z.jpg

• Like 8

Found something cool today.  I discovered the lake that's included in both master plans. The Buffalo Lakes and UT master plans.

n2ishxU.jpg

IbNG9gc.jpg

ZOXv9wG.jpg

and on Google.

dbOnryK.png

Qpoq7NH.jpg

• Like 7

A bit of history here.  Embrey was planning on developing Buffalo Lakes multifamily. The name and and location was changed. Embrey's multifamily is now called The Connection at Buffalo Pointe and is located at Buffalo Speedway & W. Bellfort.

IaD8wqK.jpg

945vcwl.jpg

• Like 5

Noticed a permit posted.  701 Holmes is defined as Tract 2-B.

Rh6hHUy.jpg

Lh1q42i.jpg

Tower is property of Crown Castle with an address of 711 Homes Rd.

OokQIvH.jpg

X8lKQad.jpg

The water tower is a Horton Waterspear dated 1961.

u384pNB.jpg

EkwIUL1.jpg

gug84CF.jpg

• Like 8

more multifamily or some actual housing on 2500 sq ft lots? I know that's a wish but no more multifamily or townhomes, doesn't promote long term. Once the multifamily gets old then we're back to the same old crap

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hbcu said:

more multifamily or some actual housing on 2500 sq ft lots? I know that's a wish but no more multifamily or townhomes, doesn't promote long term. Once the multifamily gets old then we're back to the same old crap

What type of "actual housing" were you anticipating on a 2500 sq ft lot that isn't a townhome?

Also, multifamily and townhomes are actual housing.

• Like 4

actual neighborhoods with space between the homes - like the neighborhoods that are south or west of them. We have enough multifamily / townhome communities nearby. I meant 2500 square foot home at least. 

But we know its about cramming them in like sardines so that's a longshot

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hbcu said:

actual neighborhoods with space between the homes - like the neighborhoods that are south or west of them. We have enough multifamily / townhome communities nearby. I meant 2500 square foot home at least. 

It's about developing the land to the highest return on investment. With the land being worth what it is, I doubt you could get any return with tract homes. Times have changed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, hbcu said:

If there was a market to sell them, then they would be sold. It's about as simple as that. There's a reason why empty lots in some neighborhoods sell for completed townhomes.

Density is not a bad thing, especially with the potential for easy light rail expansion. 

Also, there are way more standalone traditional houses in this area than townhome neighborhoods. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hbcu said:

Plenty of townhomes are more than 2500 sf, but that's an arbitrary standard anyway. Would you say a 3br, 2 bath ranch on a 7000 sf lot isn't "real", just because it's *only* 1800 sf?

And how do useless side yards make a neighborhood "real"? Your personal preference may be a big house on a big, wasteful lot, but that doesn't mean that configuration is actually better than other (and equally traditional - rowhomes/townhomes are perfectly normal throughout history, across an infinite variety of cities, regions, nations, architectural styles) housing types.

If your argument is that home ownership gives a resident more "skin in the game" or whatever, well, that applies to any house, regardless of the size of the yard. 

• Like 4

On 5/12/2020 at 7:51 AM, Texasota said:

Plenty of townhomes are more than 2500 sf, but that's an arbitrary standard anyway. Would you say a 3br, 2 bath ranch on a 7000 sf lot isn't "real", just because it's *only* 1800 sf?

And how do useless side yards make a neighborhood "real"? Your personal preference may be a big house on a big, wasteful lot, but that doesn't mean that configuration is actually better than other (and equally traditional - rowhomes/townhomes are perfectly normal throughout history, across an infinite variety of cities, regions, nations, architectural styles) housing types.

If your argument is that home ownership gives a resident more "skin in the game" or whatever, well, that applies to any house, regardless of the size of the yard. 

you from Navasota with that name? If so, we can talk from a way different perspective.

I've lived in row home communities and townhomes in other regions. Nothing like raising a kid with a "yard" and having some semblance of community if taken care of. The problem in Houston we build these dense developments without kids in mind but it turns into kids living there in the long term and you have an issue. Haven't we learned from this across the city already

I grew up mostly in Missouri City, and I just fundamentally disagree with you. I find way more community in denser developments that I ever felt in a house with a big yard. 

• Like 1

JTB Demolition is done at the site.  Any ideas on the next phase of cleanup? Apart of the RFP posted a while ago discusses the Pierce Junction oil field and cleanup. There has already been Texas Railroad Commission's Voluntary Cleanup Program for other tracts of land.  They found out the water contains too much barium, chromium, chloride, and lead.  Restrictions for ground water are in place.  UT believes all the regulatory cleanup should be completed by 2021.

lTVBomq.png

Looking on RCC's website and it shows "accepted".

rvQ2GFj.png

w4Kt5sh.jpg

pj1qWTa.jpg

• Like 5