Log Cabin At 11902 Alief Clodine Rd.

Reefmonkey

I have occasionally passed a building right at the intersection of Alief Clodine Road and South Kirkwood that has always intrigued me. It has obviously been there many years, and is a log cabin, though it looks like it was modernized at one point, with commericial-grade doors and windows put in (probably sometime between the late 60s and early 80s). A number is peeling off the street numbers, so I can't tell what number it actually is. I looked at it on Google Street view, and the number that is given for it there is not to be found on HCAD.org.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to the story of this place?

I have occasionally passed a building right at the intersection of Alief Clodine Road and South Kirkwood that has always intrigued me. It has obviously been there many years, and is a log cabin, though it looks like it was modernized at one point, with commericial-grade doors and windows put in (probably sometime between the late 60s and early 80s). A number is peeling off the street numbers, so I can't tell what number it actually is. I looked at it on Google Street view, and the number that is given for it there is not to be found on HCAD.org.

Wow... I pass by there all the time and I've never noticed the place. Mainly because there are a lot of stupid drivers in that area and I'm trying either A) not to run over them because they are driving 20 in a 30 mph zone or B) trying not to be run over by them because they are driving 50 or more in a 30 mph zone. I'll have to pull off the road and take a peek next time I go by there.

Looks like 11902 Alief Clodine on HCAD.

That looks right, because the hcad details say 11902 has a greenhouse, and there is a greenhouse right next to the log cabin, but I can't tell from the building details, which state a variety of "warehouses" built a variety of years from 1960 on. Somehow I can't imagine someone builing a log cabin warehouse in the 60s or later.

• 4 weeks later...

Although I cannot remember where it exactly was located and I find nothing about it on the Internet, there used to be a Log Cabin Restaurant in Houston that served huge, family-style meals. They provided different menu selections every day, grew many of their own vegetables and baked fresh bread and rolls from scratch. It was quite good and very popular back in the 70s and 80s. If you didn't get there early, there was a line out the door. It was also a favorite of Marvin Zindler. I am wondering if this is what you're seeing. Unfortunately, I could find nothing about it online.

Although I cannot remember where it exactly was located and I find nothing about it on the Internet, there used to be a Log Cabin Restaurant in Houston that served huge, family-style meals. They provided different menu selections every day, grew many of their own vegetables and baked fresh bread and rolls from scratch. It was quite good and very popular back in the 70s and 80s. If you didn't get there early, there was a line out the door. It was also a favorite of Marvin Zindler. I am wondering if this is what you're seeing. Unfortunately, I could find nothing about it online.

This place isn't big enough to have been much of a restaurant.

• 2 months later...

I grew up in Alief. It was a garden center/nursery in the 1980s. I remember going there with my mom and dad. I found this article which mentions it. It was called Lorany's Garden Center.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/1986_231183/native-plants-make-landscaping-easy.html

The Log Cabin Restaurant was on Hwy59 (Eastex Fwy) at Aldine Mail Route

Here is a wonderful review by lana7018 from Atascocita.com “what is your favorite restaurant of all time?”

“ Well they've been closed for years but if your an old area native you'll remember the Log Cabin on 59 at Aldine Mail Route.

They served family style at big tables. You had either white meat chicken, dark meat chicken, (fried only of course) the BEST chicken fried steak I ever ate (and I've been on that hunt for many years logging thousands of calories in my quest) and steaks.

They canned their own fig perserves which you got before your meal to spread on crackers along with some kind of cream cheese spread that I can't really remember. The fig perserves were too good to need anything else to start with.

Out back they grew their own beans, pea's, okra, corn, potatoes, oinions, squash and peppers. Along with the platters of your main course they served bowls of the veggies out of their garden along with homemade biscuits and cornbread.

If that weren't enough they made their own dumplings. None of those fat fluffy gooey bisquick version either. Nice firm hand rolled flat dumplings like my grandmother used to make.

Another word on the chicken fried steak. One night after my rave review my waitress told me the secret. They only used prime ribeye steaks to make chicken fried steaks. (Most places use the cheapest cuts - round or top)

Now nothing sounds good for dinner ”

• The title was changed to Log Cabin On Alief Clodine At Kirkwood
  • The title was changed to Log Cabin At 11902 Alief Clodine Rd.

Archived