Amphitheater Off Of Interstate 45

Does anyone have any information on an amphitheater that was on the west side of the island, just off of present-day I-45? I saw it in Google Earth, but only found maybe one reference on the Internet...

Does anyone have any information on an amphitheater that was on the west side of the island, just off of present-day I-45? I saw it in Google Earth, but only found maybe one reference on the Internet...

There used to be one on the bay side of Galveston Island State Park.

I don't consider "the west side of the island" to be "just off of present-day I-45."

But yes, Galveston Island Outdoor Musicals had an amphitheater in/near Galveston Island State Park off of FM3005. Looks like it's still there but in bad shape. I went to a production of "South Pacific" there in about 1990 or so and it was absolutely lovely, a perfect place for that show. I think hurricanes and summer heat put an end to that theatre company in the mid-90s.

I don't consider "the west side of the island" to be "just off of present-day I-45."

But yes, Galveston Island Outdoor Musicals had an amphitheater in/near Galveston Island State Park off of FM3005. Looks like it's still there but in bad shape. I went to a production of "South Pacific" there in about 1990 or so and it was absolutely lovely, a perfect place for that show. I think hurricanes and summer heat put an end to that theatre company in the mid-90s.

Here's a few pictures on Flickr:

Flickr

Ah. I think we are talking about different things.

Anyway, here's what I saw on Google Earth, at least, I THINK it was an amphitheater. Sure looked like one (see attachment).

For reference, here is what looks like today:

http://maps.google.c...007671&t=h&z=17

Ah. I think we are talking about different things.

Anyway, here's what I saw on Google Earth, at least, I THINK it was an amphitheater. Sure looked like one (see attachment).

For reference, here is what looks like today:

http://maps.google.c...007671&t=h&z=17

This was the old Oleander Drive-In which Moran McDaniel opened on May 25, 1951 and closed in the early 60's. It appears to now be a car dealership.

Oleander Drive In

• The title was changed to Amphitheater Off Of Interstate 45

Archived