The History Of Houston Ave. And Clay St.

sinister1

Okay I know I read on here and somewhere else that before 1892 Houston Avenue use to be Clay St. and actually if you look at current maps you can kind of make out how Houston Ave. and Clay St. Meet up with each other on opposite sides of the bayou. I know that I've seen old maps as far back as the 20's where it shows Houston Ave. crossing over the bayou at McKinney St. I guess my question is was there ever a Clay st. bridge where it crossed over from Downtown over to First Ward? This would be interesting.

Okay I know I read on here and somewhere else that before 1892 Houston Avenue use to be Clay St. and actually if you look at current maps you can kind of make out how Houston Ave. and Clay St. Meet up with each other on opposite sides of the bayou. I know that I've seen old maps as far back as the 20's where it shows Houston Ave. crossing over the bayou at McKinney St. I guess my question is was there ever a Clay st. bridge where it crossed over from Downtown over to First Ward? This would be interesting.

Also do you guys happen to have a map showing Houston Ave. as Clay St.? that would be even more awesome. Thanks.

Wait a second, I just looked up a Map from 1873 and Houston Ave. is still there not Clay St. WTF? This map shows Houston Ave. running into Stanley St. Now I'm starting to wonder if Houston Ave. was ever part of Clay now. Check out the map.

http://www.birdseyeviews.org/zoom.php?city=Houston&year=1873&extra_info=

• 1 year later...

From the 1920 street map it looks like Houston ran into McKinney right at the bayou. So i'm guessing it never was Clay or any kind of extension of it, if anything it would be Mckinney. Anothier item of interest to me is old White Oak Dr. From the maps it looks like it ran down the west side of White Oak bayou from Houston til it merged into Milam after looping behind the SP station. Its not on the 1920s map, its on 1940s aerials and topo maps, but I guess it disappeared for construction of 45N. Very short lived street and one that most people seem to have forgotten. If anyone has any info i'd be interested.

I've done extensive research on the history of the Old Sixth Ward and can confirm that the portion of Houston Avenue extending from Buffalo Bayou to Washington Avenue used to be called Clay Street. Quite a few streets in that particular area were renamed in the early 1890's when the city's postal delivery system became standardized. The Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from 1890 shows that portion of Houston Avenue as Clay Street, but the 1896 map shows it to be Houston Avenue. In addition, Harris County Block Maps for the blocks along that street still show Clay Street crossed over with a line and renamed as S. Houston Street (http://books.tax.hctx.net/v021/AE1997_21-22_0284.jpg)

I've done extensive research on the history of the Old Sixth Ward and can confirm that the portion of Houston Avenue extending from Buffalo Bayou to Washington Avenue used to be called Clay Street. Quite a few streets in that particular area were renamed in the early 1890's when the city's postal delivery system became standardized. The Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from 1890 shows that portion of Houston Avenue as Clay Street, but the 1896 map shows it to be Houston Avenue. In addition, Harris County Block Maps for the blocks along that street still show Clay Street crossed over with a line and renamed as S. Houston Street (http://books.tax.hctx.net/v021/AE1997_21-22_0284.jpg)

Aha...that's why I love block book info. The scratched out names are everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done extensive research on the history of the Old Sixth Ward and can confirm that the portion of Houston Avenue extending from Buffalo Bayou to Washington Avenue used to be called Clay Street. Quite a few streets in that particular area were renamed in the early 1890's when the city's postal delivery system became standardized. The Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from 1890 shows that portion of Houston Avenue as Clay Street, but the 1896 map shows it to be Houston Avenue. In addition, Harris County Block Maps for the blocks along that street still show Clay Street crossed over with a line and renamed as S. Houston Street (http://books.tax.hct..._21-22_0284.jpg)

Yes, this is why I love HAIF you guys are pros when it comes to answering questions, thank you so much. Do you happen to know when it changed from S Houston Ave. to just Houston Ave?

• 1 month later...

This brings up another topic. I remember seeing an old picture of the original Maltobano's and what appeared to be street car cables. Would someone have pictures of the old street cars that ran down Houston Ave?

Okay I found proof that street cars actually did run down Houston Ave. :) the attached picture of the old Montallbano's lumber store on Houston Ave. In the lower part of the picture you can see what seems to be rails and up above of the picture by the light posts you can see street car wires. Also in an article (found here) It describes a law suit between a Heights area man and the owners of Luna park where there is mention of the street cars that ran along Houston Ave.

post-9910-0-21704100-1353724486_thumb.jp

• 6 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2012 at 8:00 AM, sixthwardguy said:

• The title was changed to The History Of Houston Ave. And Clay St.

Archived